• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E D&D Game Table Helpful for 4E Success?

Do you regularly play in one or more online D&D campaigns?

• Yes.

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • No.

Votes: 38 63.3%

takasi

First Post
Our group uses MapTool, and it's probably the only reason why we'll convert to 4E.

A few players in our 'club' (we have a good pool of 15+ players) can only meet at the table once a week. The rest of us can logistically only meet two or sometimes three times a week.

I think if we only played offline, we'd never upgrade to 4E. We just have too many quality campaigns and support for our campaigns to last for years. We've been playing Burning Sky for almost 6 months, and are only on module 2. At this rate we'll easily be playing to 2010.

However, since we play online (with games every night) we'll have plenty of opportunities to try it out.

If you have access to an easy to use, fun online D&D game, would it make it easier for you to try 4th edition while keeping your old campaign 3.5/d20?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
There are only two reasons why I don't play D&D online.

1) I don't know anybody running a game.
2) Nobody has invited me.

Hopefully, one day, I will get the opportunity. If 4E/Gleemax somehow incorporates a virtual table top that works well and an online community sprouts up running such games, I will be very, very happy!

catsclaw227

First Post
I am not playing in any, but I do have a couple of the VTTs. I have BattlegroundsRPG and I've looked at MapTool.

If they can get the right VTT, with the right tools, I would get in an online game for sure.

wildstarsreach

First Post
takasi said:
Our group uses MapTool, and it's probably the only reason why we'll convert to 4E.

A few players in our 'club' (we have a good pool of 15+ players) can only meet at the table once a week. The rest of us can logistically only meet two or sometimes three times a week.

I think if we only played offline, we'd never upgrade to 4E. We just have too many quality campaigns and support for our campaigns to last for years. We've been playing Burning Sky for almost 6 months, and are only on module 2. At this rate we'll easily be playing to 2010.

However, since we play online (with games every night) we'll have plenty of opportunities to try it out.

If you have access to an easy to use, fun online D&D game, would it make it easier for you to try 4th edition while keeping your old campaign 3.5/d20?

Takasi and I play in 4 online games in addition to tabletop games using maptool. playing this way helps with the rp part of the game in that each player uses his/her imagination as to reactions of other players. If you have a male playing a female character on table top, it can leave something to be desired wherein on the online games it is believable since it is totally your imagination rather than seeing his ugly mug.

With this we could play one 4th ed game when it comes out to get our feet wet while continueing our standard fare.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm in one, soon to be in another. Currently running four games and will be running M&M online soon.

Of course, I was running 2E online as well, so this is nothing new for me. ;)

TwinBahamut

First Post
Because all of the players were drifting apart geographically, the very-long running Eberron campagn I have been part of for years has been forced to move online. Really good web-tools would probably help the online version of the campaign a lot.

Wormwood

Adventurer
If the new 'virtual tabletop' delivers half of what the press-release promises, then I will encourage my group to move some of our sessions online. Additionally, it would encourage me to look for new people to game with---something I have not done since 1992.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads