• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E D&D Heroscape, DDM, and 4E Lite??

EvilDwarf

Explorer
Been brainstorming lately about a 4E lite for reasons that have been discussed on these boards a lot: combat sometimes takes too long, our group has misplaced priorities (like kids and family--just kidding) so we don't get together as often, our sessions are shorter, we lack time to prep between sessions, and though 4E is arguably a lean and mean system it could be leaner and meaner, etc.

I picked up Heroscape D&D and it's really good and also gave me some ideas about developing that 4E lite. Rules are simple, scenarios are discrete.... The D&D characters and monsters are stripped down to essentials with some very interesting interpretations of powers that keep the D&D flavor while simplifying and speeding game play. HP = Life and range from like 1 thru 4 or something (each hit takes a Life point), Attack = number of dice you roll, Defense = number of dice you roll, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has given any thought to using Heroscape D&D as a model for a faster-play 4E lite?

For instance, converting 4E monsters to Heroscape-type stats? For example, Minions would have 1 Life, skirmishers might convert to 2 Life, Brutes might convert to 4 Life, Solo to 7 Life.... AC would convert to Defense die rolled, etc. Has anyone thought about attempting this, or be interested in helping me think this through?

Or, maybe the work has been done and it's called D&D Minis? Maybe a 4E Lite could be constructed from DDM? Or, maybe DDM IS 4e Lite?

Any interest or thoughts? (Sorry if I'm rambling--just getting started with some brainstorming and maybe there's some interest, or someone has also done something like this or has had this idea...)

bennyhobo

First Post
That sounds really interesting. I haven't played Heroscape, but I've been curious about it too. Looking fowardard to hearing what anyone knowledgeable has to say.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
If you want d&d lite, look at an older edition. Labyrinth Lord captures the 1981 D&D very well. It's free, it's easy, and it's fast.

My 2 cents.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I'll post something for you in the morning because my comp was otherwise hijacked for now; but my son and I have done a couple of these already using the drow HS figures compared with drow from the MM

Uchiha Blood

First Post
The problem with converting every monster to Heroscape would be tye playtesting. I've done a few conversions for customs and know from experience that even a single encounters worth of monster would take a week or two of effort, let alone a while adventure! I'm starting a community project over at Heroscapers.com.

I would not recommend trying to use Heroscape stats for D&D encounters. I do however recommend using the tiles for spaces as opposed to squares.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads