D&D General D&D Live Play Dimension 20 At Madison Square Garden

Popular D&D livestream at New York's famous Madison Square Garden.

d20-madison.png

Popular Dungeons & Dragons livestream Dimension 20 will be appearing live at New York's famous Madison Square Garden next year.

The one-night-only game will take place on January 24th 2025, and will be called Gauntlet at the Garden. It will feature six of the series' regular cast--Emily Axford, Ally Beardsley, Brian Murphy, Zac Oyama, Siobhan Thompson, and Lou Wilson, with Brendan Lee Mulligan as the GM. Tickets will go on sale this Friday.

Madison Square Garden is a multi-purpose arena in New York and has a capacity of about 20,000 people. Last year, Critical Role played Wembley Arena in London.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
12000 is a far cry from "millions" claimed, and Critical Role viewing numbers are about the same 12000 and dropping according the CBR and their daughter channel, offspring channel?, The Character Sheet on Youtube.

Hasbro recently claimed something like 50 million D&D players worldwide. I am pretty sure 12000 of 50 million is well less than 1%.

Thanks for providing some form of number, however useful it turns out to be in further discussion. :)

Oh, and chess is like FIFA or NFL, watched mostly on TV than attending the actual event. So venue size is again meaningless if nobody watches live at the event more than would normally watch when streamed.

I stand by, the masses are not interested in watching people play tabletop games. They are more of a niche within a niche within a niche rather than the norm.

Hasbro never claimed there are currently 50 million D&D players worldwide. They claimed that an estimated 50 million people have played D&D since the game was created 50 years ago, which is obviously a very different claim.

The audience for actual play D&D is enormous, which is self-evident to anybody paying the least attention to it. Your deprecation of the venues involved just comes off as weird when actual play companies are filling concert halls and arenas, having multi-million-dollar kickstarters, etc. and now a fairly high-end Off-Broadway show with an extended run. You’re just kinda wrong.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Prove your numbers with actual metrics.

Mod Note:
Right now, we have an actual metric of you being the most-reported poster on the boards.

Oh wait, you are one of those that accuse people of saying things they never did to start a fight on the internet. You can just join the pile.

Just yesterday I had to refer you to the Terms and rules about your behavior. And here you are, being insulting.

We expect you to treat folks here with a modicum of respect, and not insult your fellow posters. We strongly recommend that you not make these discussions personal.

Because of how you are treating folks, you're done in this discussion, and we strongly suggest you rethink your approach to discussion and your fellow posters while on this site.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This is cool, but I cant imagine going to one of these. I can barely watch on youtube for more than 5min. Thats a me thing, not a them thing.
It makes a big difference with a large live audience. Dimension 20, Critical Role, Dragon Friends, are all made up of professional entertainers. Its a show.

I always liked Acquisitions Incorporated, even though I could only watch the live stream or recording of their shows, because of the live audience. I also went to a Fathom Event of an Acq. Inc. show at a loal cinema. Seeing it with a theatre full of people was a lot of fun. It would be fun to see a show like this live in person.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Critical Role and Dimension 20 are the outliers in a way by now taking their shows on the road. Not Another D&D Podcast, for one, has done whole tours of live shows in the past. (Two of the folks from NADDPOD are in the Unsleeping City cast.) A number of other actual plays, like The Adventure Zone, have done these at least periodically for years now.

And Welcome to Night Vale, which is similar in form, although it's scripted, did tours for years before the pandemic.

There's definitely a big audience out there for this kind of thing.

I suspect they'll have no problem selling out MSG, as Brennan and Dimension 20 have never been bigger.
I would love to see Dungeon Court, with Not Another D&D Podcast, live.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads