D&D General D&D Live Play Dimension 20 At Madison Square Garden

Popular D&D livestream at New York's famous Madison Square Garden.

d20-madison.png

Popular Dungeons & Dragons livestream Dimension 20 will be appearing live at New York's famous Madison Square Garden next year.

The one-night-only game will take place on January 24th 2025, and will be called Gauntlet at the Garden. It will feature six of the series' regular cast--Emily Axford, Ally Beardsley, Brian Murphy, Zac Oyama, Siobhan Thompson, and Lou Wilson, with Brendan Lee Mulligan as the GM. Tickets will go on sale this Friday.

Madison Square Garden is a multi-purpose arena in New York and has a capacity of about 20,000 people. Last year, Critical Role played Wembley Arena in London.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It makes a big difference with a large live audience. Dimension 20, Critical Role, Dragon Friends, are all made up of professional entertainers. Its a show.

I always liked Acquisitions Incorporated, even though I could only watch the live stream or recording of their shows, because of the live audience. I also went to a Fathom Event of an Acq. Inc. show at a loal cinema. Seeing it with a theatre full of people was a lot of fun. It would be fun to see a show like this live in person.
The more I think about it. I'd go more for the camaraderie then the show.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
NFL was mentioned in regard to a venue size and the limit that could attend like Wimbledom, and has no further context other than external viewing. You are hung up on a small example, and missing what is being said.
Fine. You win. It isn't as big as a major sport.

It is big enough for some people to enrich themselves and build companies on, spin off popular game products, and in CR's case get an animated show on Amazon based off of it. And and hundreds of thousands of people have enjoyed watching the live plays. I'm inclined to believe that the number of fans of this form of entertainment is in the millions if you include everyone who watches the live streams, recorded shows on You Tube, and pod casts, even just counting the top 10 or so shows. I wouldn't be surprise if among people under 35, more people have watch TTRPG live streams than have played the game. I've read people claim this, but I don't know of any reliable statistics to prove this any way.

But, yes, I 100% agree with you. This form of entertainment isn't as popular as some other forms of entertainment. 🤷‍♂️

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The more I think about it. I'd go more for the camaraderie then the show.
Yeah, that's a big part of it. The only downside is that you a generally sharing the room with a bunch of Uber fans so some of the in-jokes, call-backs, and fan service will be lost on you. I would probably choose a more humor focused group like Not Another D&D Podcast. A group like Dragon Friends would be a lot of fun live. They are all improv comedy actors, with live musicians and often run with two DMs. One to run the game and the other to act out monsters/NPCs. If the slap stick is too much, then Critical Role and Glass Canon Podcast are a good mix of serious and humorous, along with attention to rules crunch.

One of these days I would love to go to one of the bigger podcast conventions and catch a mix of live play, social observation, and story-telling sessions in one weekend. A little Critical Role, a little Old Gods of Appalachia, a little Dungeon Court, a little Search Engine...wouldn't be a bad way to spend the weekend.

I like watching RPG livestreams, I don't do it too much as it's a huge time commitment due to campaigns running for so long.
Would love to go to one of these live though, that would be a blast.

It's funny to hear people say that they don't like watching other people roleplay. A huge joy of playing, at least for me, is that I get to watch other people playing at the table. If I didn't enjoy watching other people roleplaying I think I wouldn't enjoy roleplay much myself, as there are often times when your character isn't involved in a scene.

Also, back in the 80's and 90's when I was playing in high school there were always friends that didn't play that would hang around and watch. So, it's always felt a bit like a spectator sport to me.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I like watching RPG livestreams, I don't do it too much as it's a huge time commitment due to campaigns running for so long.

It's funny to hear people say that they don't like watching other people roleplay. A huge joy of playing, at least for me, is that I get to watch other people playing at the table. If I didn't enjoy watching other people roleplaying I think I wouldn't enjoy roleplay much myself, as there are often times when your character isn't involved in a scene.

Also, back in the 80's and 90's when I was playing in high school there were always friends that didn't play that would hang around and watch. So, it's always felt a bit like a spectator sport to me.
For me its not being directly involved. I just lose interest.

Reynard

Legend

I think there's something of an epidemic of folks unable to remain engaged when they are not directly involved in the thing at the moment,even for short periods. If you can't be a fan of the other players doing their thing, you need to be playing BG3 instead.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads