D&D General D&D memes thread discussion…

never been to America, should I ask a friend staying there to look inside one for me?
Visiting a book store never hurts, but I think you should be fine with any large book store that sells fantasy or history books - there's probably particularly great B&N stores (the Americans here can probably shed more light on this), but the one I visited (in Bellevue near Seattle) was lovely, yet also more or less comparable to larger German book stores I've been to.

Last edited:

Visiting a book store never hurts, but I think you should be fine with any large book store that sells fantasy or history books - there's probably particularly great B&N stores (the Americans here can probably shed more light on this), but the one I visited (in Bellevue near Seattle) was lovely, yet also more or less comparable to larger German book stores I've been to.
Out of curiosity, how long ago was that? I worked at one for a few years back in the early 2000s and shopped at them (we had four within driving distance at peak) for years after they and Borders (a similar big box book store chain, now gone) for years before that after they'd killed almost all out small stores and yes, they were pretty good. Looking at the sole surviving B&N here in 2024, they've let their shelf stock drop off at least 30% in terms of shelf space and title variety, even more in some genre sections (history was very hard hit, for ex) and dedicated the floor space that was once books to toys and games and puzzles instead. That shift started at least ten years ago and accelerated enormously when Toys R Us (the major US toy retailer chain) collapsed - although the loss of Borders probably factors in as well, they used to be pretty cutthroat competitors around here. At least locally B&N isn't really worth going to browse for books any more, and since the chain uses (or at least used) corporate plan-o-grams to determine stock levels based of footage more than demand it's likely that the rot is similar no matter where you shop.

A lot of the US is very poorly served for retail booksellers these days, which is part of why online and e-book sales are such a key part of the publishing industry these days.

About a decade. I think it was 2012, but it might also have been 2014 (I was a PhD student back then and had a conference paper at a top-level conference, so my professor/department sponsored the trip).
Yeah, that's far enough back that the changes weren't really taking off yet. Speaking anecdotally, I'd say B&N has become noticeably less of an actual book store in the last ten years. Not entirely a bad thing unless you were looking to browse books, and they've certainly grown in some ways. The local one now stocks more graphic novels and manga than even the largest of the dedicated comic shops in the area, for ex. But the old days of being able to reliably find something new to read with every visit seem to have passed, and it's particularly difficult to start a new series on impulse due to their refusal to make any effort to stock the first book or two in what series they do carry. And the publishing industry is pushing hard toward everything being a series these days, at least in fiction - the number of standalone novels these days feels like it's half what it was 30-40 years ago.

Yes, you can still order books through B&N easily enough and their warehouse stock seems decent enough - but if you have to special order a book rather than grab it from the shelf, why do I want to do that instead of buying online, saving taxes, gas, time and frustration? The managers didn't have an answer for that question even twenty years ago, and they don't now.

I sincerely hope things are better elsewhere, but I'm afraid that may not be the case.

I sincerely hope things are better elsewhere, but I'm afraid that may not be the case.
They are slightly better over here (in Germany) thanks to a thing we call "Buchpreisbindung", meaning you have a fixed book price and Amazon cannot just discount smaller book shops out of business. But looking at my own purchases, ever since I moved to a small town, most of my orders are from Amazon. I do order from publishers directly from time to time, but it's really more of an exception. And while I do have a great friendly-not so local-game shop with a great selection, RPG books increasingly arrive at my door as the result of crowdfundings.
It's looking a bit better in larger towns and especially around universities, but life is becoming a lot harder for both book shops and publishers these days.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine

I have literally put my D&D and other RPG stuff into my will to be given to my kids after I pass. At which point they'll be their problem :ROFLMAO:

In my dreams, they'll host some sort of final game convention and everyone will come over and play all. the. games. and then folks can leave with one of my games as a sort of final farewell...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing

This is the kind of post that I wish we had a wider range of emoji's to react, because this one is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 Basically "shots fired!" in an edition war lol
Edited to add: Also, the implication that 3.0 is D&D and 3.5 is not is 🌶️
You're not wrong.

The spiciest pepper would be if there were four DMs at the table instead of three, and that fourth DM was unpacking his AD&D 2E books.

Orius

Legend
Well I left out the snide comment about the cranky old grogs who just can't let the grudges go and decided to let that one stand on its own. I found it funny because you can look at it as mocking them for being so stubborn about things, but they'd take that meme dead seriously or laugh with it being right. (I can easily picture the reaction here vs. Dragonsfoot, for example.) There really are guys out there who think nothing after 2e, or 1989, or 1985 isn't "real" D&D. If they're really hardcore, they set the cutoff date to 1983!

FWIW, I'm pretty strongly in the 3.0 > 3.5 camp myself -- made no secret of it around here -- so make of that what you will.

And 2e would be nuclear chili, because that's what pissed some of those grogs off in the first place and there are 2e fans who also don't like 3e and later D&D.

Finally, there's something about the Easley illo that really drives it home too.

Remove ads