• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D miniatures arrived today!

portermj

First Post
I used to buy cases and sell the extras, but the last few sets I've just bought complete sets with some duplicates.

I also like the look of new Confrontation pre-painted line.

If you like Sci-Fi RPGs I saw a pre-painted line that was doing those types of figures, but I don't remember the name.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
For the first 14 sets or so, I purchased at least two cases of each, and probably closer to at least three, ranging up to five in some instances. With the last set and the set coming up now, I'm buying one case, and filling out what else I want with singles from Auggie's (eventually, when prices settle). This upcoming set will be the first one in which I'm officially giving up on complete collections.

It's been a combination of things, leading to this: (1) I hate the new version of the minis game, (2) piece quality has declined precipitously, (3) I'm very, very annoyed at the pieces they're repeating before moving on to new stuff (this will be the third owlbear), and (4) I have almost 3,000 of the things, and that's after culling my collection.

CastTiltowait

First Post
For singles, it's hard to beat Auggie's Games, especially if you (like me) include the shipping and handling into the cost of the miniature. I still remember getting all excited when I found a site with awesome prices, only to discover the sneaky SOB was trying to slap a $2 PER FIG shipping charge.

shieldheart

First Post
Yeah, Auggie's is where I got my minis. I got all the players to pitch in $10 dollars and bought ~$55 worth of minis. Got about 150 common/uncommons :D

Nadaka

First Post
I just recently got into the mini's.

It started with the gargantuan blue dragon and two boosters for unhallowed.

That first night I set up a mock combat (using 3.5 rules rather than mini rules) between the blue dragon (though I didn't give it all of its sorcerer spells) and every one of the other mini's. It was horrifically lopsided. But in the end the dragon rolled a 1 on his saving throw vs a marid's planeshift and was defeated.

Since then I have bought 2 more boosters and have a nice squad of elves, forming up along with some other weird stuff. Unfortunately the Books-a-million doesn't seem to carry mini's anymore, so I may have to go online (I plan on buying every single dragon mini I can get my hands on).

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
And the only owlbear that's not in an out of print set.
This. Plus, I hate duplicate minis. I'd much rather have several different sculpts to use for an encounter with multiple owl bears.

I have to agree about the declining quality, though. Several of the AtG rares look awful (judging by the gallery, at least). The sculpts are mostly fine but the paintjobs are really bad.

shieldheart

First Post
The sculpts are mostly fine but the paintjobs are really bad.

While going through my new miniature collection, I've noticed this to be the trend.

You know that episode where Homer wants to become an inventor? Remember the makeup shotgun?

Yep. These are the victims.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Yeah, Auggie's is where I got my minis. I got all the players to pitch in $10 dollars and bought ~$55 worth of minis. Got about 150 common/uncommons :D

Much like you I went to Auggie's online site, the players chipped in some funds and a list of minis they wanted for PCs and BAM! hundreds of commons and uncommons showed up at the door a week later. I have a second order of commons and uncommons from the new set on the way plus the two rare dragonborn. One player is playing a dragonborn in our current game and I wanted the other for my PC use in the future.

Our group does think the minis help the game move along and they loved looking through them when the box arrived.

In a moment of weakness I did buy two boosters of Dungeons of Dread. I felt better after my two rares turned out to be a mind flayer and an eye of the flame. :cool: I suppose I'll try a couple of boosters of the new set and see if I can strike lucky with a dragon.

SavageRobby

First Post
For the first 14 sets or so, I purchased at least two cases of each, and probably closer to at least three, ranging up to five in some instances. With the last set and the set coming up now, I'm buying one case, and filling out what else I want with singles from Auggie's (eventually, when prices settle). This upcoming set will be the first one in which I'm officially giving up on complete collections.

It's been a combination of things, leading to this: (1) I hate the new version of the minis game, (2) piece quality has declined precipitously, (3) I'm very, very annoyed at the pieces they're repeating before moving on to new stuff (this will be the third owlbear), and (4) I have almost 3,000 of the things, and that's after culling my collection.

I'm in a pretty similar boat - 'cept that I have at least 2 complete sets of each release, except these last 2 4e sets, and over 7,000 total DDMs. I looked at the last set, and this new one, with a much closer eye, and finally decided (battling my inner completionist), y'know, I'm just not interested in most of these minis. So, instead of the usual 500 or so of the set, I think I only got 100 or so of the ones that I liked. (That might sound like a lot - but when you usually get 500, believe me, its not.)

I started buying cases, and filled out my wants from Auggies. I eventually moved to mostly buying singles and/or complete sets. I wouldn't go back to buying randomly - especially not with boosters only going up in price (and the decreasing quality in sculpts/paints).

And technically, they way they run the production jobs, any set is "out of print". :) But its not like you can't find Blood Wars, especially the Owlbear Rager (especially on Ebay, or even at the aforementioned Auggies).

Remove ads