• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

MwaO

Adventurer
Cheese I was quoting off memories from the 90s and mother's gossip magazines.

Should have clarified highest paid for a single production.

High paid 90's actors were hitting 20 million iirc then there's Jack.

I think Gone With the Wind is biggest movie ever adjusted for inflation.
Robert Downey Jr with Avengers Endgame is almost certainly highest paid for a single production. He had a cut of back end+huge payment upfront because he was out of his '3 movies contract'

From memory they couldn't afford Jack Nichokson. He agreed to a cut of the profits. Batman blew up way bigger than anyone thought.

Apparently he took hone something like 30-60 (1989) million dollars.

He was the highest paid actor ever not sure if he still is.

Gal Gadot is now, I think somehow she made like over a hundred million for the first Wonder Woman movie.

No that's not true. All the old agreements are still in force with relation to each seperate movie or tv series per season.

this is why so much content is going away from streaming services. Some shows have to pay fees to a large number of people every viewing. IT get's more common and higher amounts with shows that had a popular run. Disney has less than 30 percent of the vault in thier streaming service. Both Netflix and Amazon have started playing Hijinx's with thier search engines trying to push people to more profitable (for them) views. Each and every movie and annual tv series has it own contract with it's own stipulations for what happens when it's viewed.

The entire writer's strike issue boils down to streaming services have been arguing those agreements didn't negotiate streaming views so they don't count. This is why the strike is such a big deal to both sides. The writers should win and if they do expect even more streaming content to go away.

Amazon Streaming, Netflix, disney, and Hulu have been running themselves like Silicon Valley Startups and thier top shows often have nothing to do with eyeballs viewing the content and more about getting the right buzz so people invest. That's all Drying up and now they have to start making money to keep their investor's happy. The last time Hollywood jacked with thier viewer model they helped run Blockbuster out of business to make the point they were the big dog. Then to their horror Target, Amazon, and Walmart started selling DVD's of new release movies as loss leaders to get people into the store and drove the price of new release DVD's down.

they are already starting to moan and whine about how good Cable TV was and how they wish they'd never invested in Streaming because the profit margins are razor thin. I suspect the HBO MAX and DISNEY, HULU, ESPN mergers are just the beginning. We'll end up with two or three streaming services that may eventually end up simply being streaming version's of lower profit Cable companies.

I doubt it will down to just 2 or 3 major global streaming services. You have Disney, Prime, Apple, Paramount+, WB Max, Peacock, and Netflix, I don't see thst going lower, because you get into governments saying no, too much media concentration at that point at least.

They will all find a path to profitablity in the next few years.

OB1

Jedi Master
I doubt it will down to just 2 or 3 major global streaming services. You have Disney, Prime, Apple, Paramount+, WB Max, Peacock, and Netflix, I don't see thst going lower, because you get into governments saying no, too much media concentration at that point at least.

They will all find a path to profitablity in the next few years.
I'd guess we'll end up with 3 primary services in the next 5 years after consolidation.

Disney/Apple
Prime/Paramount
Netflix/Max/Peacock

I am very interested into possible mergers and acquisitions, but we can't bet about what will happen in the next months or years.

Maybe your predictions are true, but it wouldn't be very good for Hasbro. This needs the licences, and if the most popular franchises are owned by a little number of owners, then they can ask more.

I wonder if Microsoft would allow Disney acquired by Apple.

If there is some plan, this will be top secret to avoid speculation by shareholders.

Maybe the future merger is Paramount with Peacock.

I suspect this years there will be great surprised in the economy.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
With so many blockbuster movies not profiting this Summer, I think we're going to see a big adjustment in Hollywood coming up. Which might benefit this movie becoming a potential franchise.

I think we're going to continue to see sequels like we have, but with smaller budgets.

Someone pointed out Raiders of the Lost Ark, adjusted for inflation, cost between $60M to $80M to make. The newest movie in that franchise cost $300M to make. You make that movie for $100M and it's considered a success right now. But at $300M it's considered a failure.

The D&D:HAT movie, I think, will be roughly close to break-even by the end of the day and all the different revenue sources (which is not just theatrical dollars) come in. I can see a sequel being green-lit, at $80M as the budget instead of the $150M the first one had after Hollywood undergoes this adjustment.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
D&D: Honor Among Thieves is now available on Netflix, in Canada only. Looks like it released at midnight last night (Sunday to Monday)

Remove ads