• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D movie sequel update.

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
I think the first D&D movie was so bad that it was slightly funny. Wayans was truly funny in it, though his style didn't mesh with the other actors.

I think sometimes it seems like D&D fans wanted it to be redeeming so badly that they willed themselves to find positives in the movie that don't really exist. Some of it may come from such a love of D&D that they want anything associated with it to have some sort of quality. Some of it may come from wanting the film to be good as not to turn hollywood off to the genre all together in the hopes that truly quality fantasy films might be made more often in the fulture, or a combination of hte reasons.

I would like to hope that D&D 2 would be a great non-cheesy effort, but it doesn't sound like that will be the case. Maybe I can hope for more of 'so bad its good' and not just plain ol' bad.

reveal

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
I've found the trailers - three files, 15-20 MB each.

I need somewhere to upload them, though :(

-Hyp.

If you can zip, or rar, them up and split them up and make files under 10 megs, send each of them to me at tonylaw74 at gmail dot com and I'll put them back together and host them. Gmail can't receive attachments larger than 10 megs.

Phaedrus

First Post
Hijack of sorts...

Is animation cheaper (in terms of production cost) than regular movies?
If so, I'd happily pay to see cartoon (non anime, please) versions of D&D or DL. Special effects would not be a problem... as long as they were written for ADULTS, and no stupid unicorns or such thrown in to appeal to children.

If not, nevermind.

werk

First Post
The Crystal Shard could easily be converted to a movie. I'm not a Drizzt fan, but this book is one that I've read numerous times. It is already cut into 'scenes' and has nice character diversity and action sequences.

And, like the Matrix, would open the door for at least a couple horrible sequals.

werk

First Post
Phaedrus said:
If so, I'd happily pay to see cartoon (non anime, please) versions of D&D or DL. Special effects would not be a problem... as long as they were written for ADULTS, and no stupid unicorns or such thrown in to appeal to children.

Check out record of Lodoss (if you haven't already).

werk

First Post
I found this review of the first movie. Give it a read if you want a nice laugh...
"What is absolutely amazing is that this movie supposedly has been made for only $35 million!"

[sblock]Dungeons & Dragons

SANTOS here. Being very excited over what I have seen, I wanted to post this review immediately, but I did not have access to a computer any earlier. Last night I attended the first full screening of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS in London! Let me make one thing clear. I am not familiar with the game nor the animated TV series, so I saw the film completely 'blank'. But... To use fan terminology: I would say D&D "KICKS ASS!". It definitely "ROCKS!".

D&D is an absolutely amazing debut by Canadian newcomer COURTNEY SOLOMON (it's a guy). I would dare to state that a new successful franchise has been born. I am already sure there will be a D&D2 en 3, because I think D&D is much BETTER than STAR WARS Episode One!!! I had expected a kind of MORTAL KOMBAT, but I think it goes WAY beyond that.

The movie is a high speed adventure in which one great scene follows another, mixing the best of STAR WARS (fx, characters), INDIANA JONES (adventure, (Note: spoiler; remember the opening of RAIDERS!), DARK CRYSTAL/LABYRINTH (creatures, costumes and art direction), DARK CITY (the gloomy darkness and cinematography) X-MEN (super power fx), THE MUMMY (humor), etc. It is an excellent warm-up for EVERYBODY who's waiting for LORD OF THE RINGS!

Because it is based on the role playing game I know every D&D fan has his own version of the story in his head - a reason why I won't get into the story in this review - but the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time, because there is just no time to pause and sit back. I expect the audience to be much broader than just the gamers, because, like I saw it, the movie can be seen completely separate from the game (unlike MORTAL KOMBAT for example; without knowing the game, it's crap).

The casting is excellent. D&D has a fresh young cast and avoided the type-casting of faces familiar to the genre. Although I did not like SCARY MOVIE or any of his earlier roles, Marlon Wayans is absolutely great. He definitely adds a lot of humor, something which SW1 lacked. (By the way, I loved Marlon's performance in REQUIEM FOR DREAM too! What a powerful movie).

The main character, played by Justin Whalin, definitely steals the show as our new hero. He should also be a big interest for the female audience. Should they ever be looking for a young Han Solo in SW3, try this guy!

The male audience can enjoy the attractive Zoe McLellan who is the female part of the heroic trio we follow throughout the story. The chemistry between the three is great.

The absolute bad ass of the movie is the very believable Bruce Payne who stays in his villainous character chillingly well. I would want to mention a couple of others, but unfortunately there were no credits yet and IMDB is not much of help either (I am not even sure if Bruce Payne is the right name with the right character). Fact is, that because you can identify with the characters so well, you are sucked in right away. Only minor flaw is the performance of the in AMERICAN BEAUTY so promising and powerful Thora Birch. Her acting (and character) is very reminiscent of Queen Amidala /Natalie Portman. D&D proves how important the human characters still are; even in a genre that rests heavily on the SFX (Qui-Gon, Jar Jar anybody?).

The SFX are absolutely amazing: the dragons (especially the ending) and the 3D landscapes and buildings are breathtaking. Think the fabulous imagery of Naboo and know you'll get vistas like that at least six times as many in D&D and I would dare say: far more impressive! Art direction, set pieces and costumes are equally outstanding.

What is absolutely amazing is that this movie supposedly has been made for only $35 million! Even more amazing is the fact that COURTNEY SOLOMON never directed a movie before ("Not even a student movie" he told me, when I got a chance to talk to him briefly after the screening outside of the theater.) He has been working on this project practically all his life so it is his dream come true.

I would not be surprised that this modest and shy young director will soon get a call from a Mr. Spielberg or Lucas. Should the last-mentioned be looking for a director for SW3 I tell you his search is over! I applaud the bravery of producer Joel Silver to put his confidence in Solomon and giving him this chance. It's gonna pay off! I am confident that in the US the film is in excellent hands with NEW LINE who are experts in marketing the genre.

They will get a head start on THE LORD OF THE RINGS with similar subject matter, reaching the same audience, so expect the LORD OF THE RINGS trailer before this one as of December 8th! In the rest of the world it's up to the independents!

With the limited budget and the fairly inexperienced cast (except for the great-and-mean-as usual Jeremy Irons) Solomon has made a movie that definitely delivers all the thrills you want. Can't wait to see it again.

Greetings from the dungeon,

SANTOS[/sblock]

Remove ads