• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next: Let's discuss it's mass multimedia goal.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hasbro will be fine, yes, but it would be absolutely reasonable for them to mothball the D&D business after a single (second?) failure. D&D has never been fiscally successful, and Hasbro can theoretically better use the money they would spend on keeping it afloat.

I sense creeping hyperbole. "Never been fiscally successful," without defining "success" is not a meaningful statement.

Has there been a time since the TSR days when D&D actually *lost* money? Not as far as we are aware.

Then let us be careful about how we talk about success and failure, and consider how Hasbro thinks about the brand in its context.

D&D makes a profit, but not a big one Hasbro's standards. So, there may be an opportunity cost involved - maybe Hasbro could turn those resources to some other product, and make more money. This is true. However, it also follows that if the cost to produce D&D is small, maybe turning those resources to another brand would yield only marginal returns.

Hasbro cannot sit on its laurels. It needs to keep a halo of less-than-breakaway-hit products around itself - because that's where breakaway hits come from. Hasbro is already in the business of holding stuff around, just in case. Hasbro's size and fairly hefty regular revenue streams mean that it can afford to be patient.

Moreover, many invoke this looming doom of Hasbro, without providing any solid evidence that Hasbro actually cares. WotC, by reports, still generally manages its own internal affairs, and has ever since Hasbro acquired it. Unless you have credible quotes or evidence to the contrary, it seems that Hasbro holds WotC to overall goals, but lets it try its own thing otherwise.

Now, if the apparently stable and extremely lucrative card game business were to collapse, then we might have a problem.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When the power of brand names for multimedia experiences allows for the possibility of a 'Peeps' movie to go into development... to think that the name 'Dungeons & Dragons' has no real meaning or usefulness past the tabletop roleplaying game is absurd.

The Black Ranger

First Post
When the power of brand names for multimedia experiences allows for the possibility of a 'Peeps' movie to go into development... to think that the name 'Dungeons & Dragons' has no real meaning or usefulness past the tabletop roleplaying game is absurd.

Who in the world would take that movie seriously?

Just making a movie is not good enough, you need for the movie to be good. Can D&D really afford another flop?

Remathilis

Legend
The fact is: you don't need the D&D brand to replicate the D&D "feel". World of Warcraft, Skyrim and even Magic: The Gathering have all used things that could be called part of the "D&D identity" to achieve great profit without paying anything for that. If I have a great idea that also happens to be very D&Dish, chances are that I can develop it, sell and profit without any help from the WotC guys.

Thus the problem of "D&D: The Generic". There are a million fantasy worlds out there that owe there lives to D&D, all of them more interesting then their progenitor. Why? Because D&D is a mixing bowl of tropes in which nothing unique stands out.

Ask any player to describe a D&D game without using the rules. He'll talk of elves and dwarves, liches and dragons, wizards, rogues, fighters and clerics. He could just as well describe Dragon Age. Or Warcraft. Or Lodoss Wars. Or early Final Fantasy. What does D&D got locked in it's ip chest that can compete with those?

I think the only way it works is to create a world and characters that screams "D&D". That means consolidating the brand. It's a catch 22.

I think the only way it works is to create a world and characters that screams "D&D". That means consolidating the brand. It's a catch 22.

We need a new "project overlord", one that comes ready with all the ip WotC intends to sell in their multimedia experience. Maybe that's what they want to do with this Tyranny of the Dragons thing, after all. We'll learn soon.

The Black Ranger

First Post
What I'm worried about is if the multimedia stance doesn't work out, will Hasbro just give up on the whole brand all together? That's what happens when a product just becomes "one of the spokes" in the great wheel.

Remathilis

Legend
We need a new "project overlord", one that comes ready with all the ip WotC intends to sell in their multimedia experience. Maybe that's what they want to do with this Tyranny of the Dragons thing, after all. We'll learn soon.

I actually thought the 3e "iconics" were a great start. They appeared through the books, and most of the spinoffs. They had mini-figs (plastic and metal), spinoff novels, were in most of the art in the books, appeared in D&D Heroes, Scourge of Worlds, and the Clue game, etc. Unlike Drizzt or Raistlin, they filled a good "generic adventurer" motif that is the heart of D&D (and they didn't need special rules to be recreated, unlike the latter two). I could imagine an iconic party going against Tiamat and her minions in ToD via comics, video games, and novels. Then, when they move on to the next story after ToD, intro a new iconic party (and maybe spotlight a new setting). Lather, rinse, repeat.

CM

Adventurer
One thing that's always surprised me is how WotC hasn't attempted RPG rules/setting products for Hasbro's other, more popular properties:

GI Joe
Transformers
My Little Pony
Magic: The Gathering

These all have sizable followings, most have comics, cartoons, toys, etc., and I've seen fan-written RPG rules for all of them. If 5e is truly going to be rules-light and highly flexible, perhaps rather than focus on splatbook type products they can branch out into other settings? Presumably WotC would have free access to these licenses if they ever did produce RPG products for them.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The D&D brand has a lot going for it, and has proven in the past that it can successfully expand beyond the RPG. It has had previous success in novels, videogames, and board games. Neverwinter Nights, Baulder's Gate, and Lords of Waterdeep are great examples.

The trick, as I see it, is to focus on quality, and to have a skilled and passionate brand manager willing to oversee the whole process.

The worst thing for the brand would be to spit out another campy D&D movie, or a half-realized MMO. But focusing on one or two things at a time, as they become viable, could work well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads