• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Red Box vs. AD&D 1st vs. AD&D 2nd vs. D&D 3.0 vs. D&D v.3.5

There are still some players out there who love to play the old versions of our beloved hobby.

If so, why do you still play the old versions of D&D and in what way do you think they are superior/inferior to the other versions?

Thanks a lot, Geoffrey D`Glanville

Henry

Autoexreginated
Admin's Note:

I'll preface this by saying up front we don't like Edition Wars here, because of the bad feelings it often generates between fellow posters.

I won't shut this down out of hand, but the second the mods think that the atmosphere in here is getting too heated, we'll have to close it -- fair warning.

As a suggestion, perhaps we should stick to the "why do you still play the old versions of D&D" part of the question?

francisca

I got dice older than you.
geoffrey d`glanville said:
There are still some players out there who love to play the old versions of our beloved hobby.

If so, why do you still play the old versions of D&D and in what way do you think they are superior/inferior to the other versions?

Thanks a lot, Geoffrey D`Glanville
Not inferior/superior, just different.

I prefer B/X D&D and 1e AD&D to 3e for various reasons, but none of that really matters. My group currently plays 1e because we have a darn good time doing so and that's the best reason of all.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Easy. I *play* old or new editions for the simple reason that the relevant DM wants to run that edition. Thus I am currently in a 2nd ed, 3.0 and 3.5 game.

There are things to love in each edition.

That said, I am seriously thinking of *running* a game of Castles and Crusades, which seems to have a lot of the things I personally like from various editions.

Psion

Adventurer
Egads. I see dark clouds of edition wars looming overhead.

I've said this before, and I'll probably say it again.

The great things about the various editions as published are:
1e: The adventures
2e: The settings
3e: The rules

Fortunately, I can (and have) tap the two previous editions for materials. This sort of question is really asking what rules you are most interested in; for me it's 3e without a doubt. But really, if you think about it, I'm playing all 3 editions -- just tapping the best aspects of each.

ashockney

First Post
Psion said:
Egads. I see dark clouds of edition wars looming overhead.

I've said this before, and I'll probably say it again.

The great things about the various editions as published are:
1e: The adventures
2e: The settings
3e: The rules

Fortunately, I can (and have) tap the two previous editions for materials. This sort of question is really asking what rules you are most interested in; for me it's 3e without a doubt. But really, if you think about it, I'm playing all 3 editions -- just tapping the best aspects of each.

Wow, that was kind of an obvious, but eye-opening comment. Based upon my personal experience, I completely agree with it. I have always loved the original 1st ed adventures, and still run them at local conventions and with my gaming group to this day. I've always played in the FR. I'm a huge fanboy of the 3rd edition rules. As a game, it's much more fun to play overall. If I run a campaign, there's a good chance it will: be set in third edition, take place in the Forgotten Realms, and will include at least one of the original 1st Ed modules in the story arc. Funny!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads