• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Rules Cyclopedia-any experiences

Akrasia

Procrastinator
It is worth mentioning that there are some optional rules that address some of the concerns mentioned in this thread.

For example, there is an optional rule to allow nonhumans progress up to 36th level. There is also an optional rule to let PCs survive when reduced to 0 hit points, allow ability scores to modify saving throws, etc.

Also, the simple skill system and weapon mastery rules allow for some 'customization' of fighter PCs. Also, at 9th level, fighters can choose to become paladins (if Lawful), knights (if Neutral) or avengers (if Chaotic). At 9th level Neutral clerics can choose to become druids.

It is a great book, and easily modified to suit your campaign. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I used to say that it was the one RPG book that, if I were stranded on a desert Island, this would be the one I wanted.

Now, I may choose Castles and Crusades. :) However, all the reasons are still there. It's still a complete, well-rounded 1st to 36th level game that covers dungeon crawls to campaigns for nations and godhood.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Does anyone have any expereinces to share with the D&D Rules Cyclopedia?

As you seem to be nostalgic of the old school (like I am at times), I must tell you the Rules Cyclopedia rules for its contents and compilation aspects. It's all you need to play D&D basic-expert-etc. Only the Immortals boxed set content aren't there. That is to say, the rules of the RC go up to 36th level.

It's really a great book, if only for its literal Cyclopedia value. Gaming with it allows you to run your game sessions without a zillion volumes behind your DM screen too.

Estlor

Explorer
It's a great book to be sure. A complete collection of Basic through Master OD&D rules with additional secondary skill and weapon mastery rules from the GAZ series included to boot. Plus optional rules for demihumans without level limits and conversion rules to go to AD&D (which, with a handy 3e conversion booklet, can get you current with a little work).

It isn't exactly the end-all of the ruleset, though. If you have access to Dawn of the Emperors you can lift an arcane ranger varient from those rules (makes humans a lot like the elf class). The Hollow World boxed set has warrior elves (I think they were reprinted in/from GAZ 13: Shadow Elf Territories), dwarven clerics are in the Rockhome GAZ, and Masters (kind of like halfling druid thieves) are in the Five Shires GAZ.

But the Cyclopedia is great.

Erstwhile

First Post
Not to sound like a broken record, but yeah, the Rules Cyclopedia is a damn fine gamebook. I think it's probably still THE best gaming resource for gaming newbies; and there's enough variety and additional rules - in the core book, mind you - to satisfy more experienced gamers, too. Plus, you can probably get it for $10-$15 U.S. on Ebay.

I'm currently purging my gaming shelves, and the Rules Cyclopedia is staying, for sure. Not sure about my 1stEd AD&D. Or for that matter my 3.0 books. :\ :)

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Yeah, I just did a purge as well...and the Cyclopedia made the cut. Let go of a LOT of books ranging from extra copies of OD&D stuff to 3.0 stuff. Really, I just kept some nostalgic OD&D books, my fav 1st edition books (Wilderness Guide, Uneathed Arcana, Fiend Folio, Players and DM Guides), some campaign world books, and my 3.5 stuff. All 2nd edition stuff...save the magic encyclopedias...all adventures, all other game systems (except Castle Falkenstein and Alternity),and all my other campaign stuff that didn't make the cut (about a 4'x6' book shelf full). All together the local used book stores/game store/youth clubs...made quite a killing...and I still walked away with a bunch of cash.

Sebastian Francis

First Post
scourger said:
Thanks for all the positive information. I'll definitely look into getting this one.

IF I were you, I'd definitely look into this thread:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=231024

THe dude's gonna spend 101 days (it's an RPGnet thing--they spend 101 days with a new game or something like that) with just D&D RC. I get the impression he's relatively new to the game, so he'll be learning rules and whatnot and posting about his experiences. Looks like a very cool thread to bookmark.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
Sebastian Francis said:
IF I were you, I'd definitely look into this thread:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=231024

THe dude's gonna spend 101 days (it's an RPGnet thing--they spend 101 days with a new game or something like that) with just D&D RC. I get the impression he's relatively new to the game, so he'll be learning rules and whatnot and posting about his experiences. Looks like a very cool thread to bookmark.

Looks he's he's begun. His day 1 entry is cool. I'm going to follow this thread. Thanks for the link, SF.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads