• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D: Satanic, or Something Positive?

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Saturday's installment of the awesome comic Something Positive is accompanied by some email correspondence between the artist and an Australian minister. The minister had a website with articles about how D&D is satanic. He listed many cases of children commiting murders or suicide because of the game, but didn't cite the sources of his information. The artist wrote to him asking where his proof was and the minister denied even having such an article on his website.
When the artist sent the minister the URL of the his own article, the minister said he agreed with the it whole-heartedly... Oh brother. :rolleyes:

Funny and sad. Enjoy the comics. They contain some mature subject matter so make sure you have permission from Eric's Grandmother before you read them, okay? ;)

Last edited:

Thresher

First Post
I think the last time I saw a religious loony in public on an Australian street trying to make people worship their god the reply from the crowd was something like...

"Gedda fish up ya, ####ing wanker"

...and some other things which are too naughty to write on a forum devoted to good vs evil, weird monsters, weird PC's, blowing people up with magic and stabbing other people for fun and profit in a world that dosent exist.
But irony and hypocrisy aside being the luxuries they are to the human race, I cannot say the F word for fear of offending people who's hobby involves blowing people up with magic and stabbing other people for fun and profit in a world that doenst exist.

Anyway, the rest of the world has little to fear about a runaway nation of religious fervour banning RPG's, for if nothing else our god is Beer and as we all know from an early age over here. Beer never causes suicide or satanism.

Lastly, the questions must be asked, where does this minister live and more importantly, how much xp is the evil cleric worth?
;)

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
DWARF said:
One time, I killed a goblin, does that count?

No, and neither does killing orc babies. Or does it?!!

Thresher said:
Lastly, the questions must be asked, where does this minister live and more importantly, how much xp is the evil cleric worth?

Hehe. Whatever the market will bear, I suppose.

Edit: Mmm. Spelling izz gud.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
For help in countering those claims some make about RPGs, you might want to try The Escapist, which has several studies to help counter some of the more radical claims.

Occassionally, someone who plays an RPG will do something that is illegal. Generally, I find that any attempts to establish a causal connection between the activity and RPGs is very strained to use polite language.

Ampolitor

Explorer
Evil?

Well in a time where most people now consider playing Everquest roleplaying, (how disgusting..) I think Rpgs are great. It keeps the social skills alive and also helps people develop strong bonds of friendship, a rare thing people cant get from always sitting behind a keyboard.

rasputinradio

First Post
this one time at d&d camp...

I used to play with a kid who was a fairly strict mormon. He pretty much stuck to playing Paladins, but he was cool with the game in general.

Remove ads