• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Spellbook Cards Preview

The cover for the Druid one is Insect Plague, from the PHB. I did that! B-)

That's really cool! Nice piece!

Sadly I probably won't get these as they're one of those products that seems totally awesome initially, and then like a massive waste of money a couple of years later (having had 2E, 4E and possibly even 3E versions of these), after a bunch of sourcebooks with more spells, several errata/changes to spells, and a number of house rules and homebrew spells! (Not to mention cards inevitably going down the backs of sofa, getting mixed up and so on). Good for those who like 'em, though.

CM

Adventurer
I imagine these are in the standard playing card/M:tG size format so they'll fit in 3x3 baseball card sleeves. Might help ease the transition for some 4e fans (myself included).

gyor

Legend
That's alot of difference in sizes of decks between classes. I wonder if they'll include spells classes get via subclass, like a Fey Knight Paladin getting Ensaring strike spell.

samursus

Explorer
These actually look pretty nifty. Beats the heck out of putting stuff together with MS Publisher from pdfs.

BTW Beautiful artwork [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION]!

Now if the price is right... :)

halberd10

First Post
well, according to the write-up, the cards come laminated, so there may be no need for sleeves, and you could use dry erase markers on them to keep track of effects and spell slots, etc. These look pretty neat!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This plays to one of 5Es strengths: no level dependent elements in the spell. This undermined 4E cards, I mean I guess you could do a dry erase thing, but needing to recalc the numbers almost every level made the builder and all those pages a better approach. 3E and 2E were not as bad, but you still had to confirm the range, etc based on caster level.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I would love products like this...

However, with WoTC's inability to edit themselves out of a wet paper bag lately, and the massive amounts of errata that happened with 4e... There is no way I can see something like this being really useful until much later in the release cycle and the major bugs ironed out... Releasing this soon, there is a good chance than the majority of these cards could be invalidated within 3 months time...

Grossout

First Post
I've always liked the idea of spell cards with one exception - I wish they had individual art, unique to each spell, on the backs of each card..
It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but a simple fireball on the back of the fireball card sure would bring some personality to them..

The front of the boxes look nice - I'm certainly not asking for something that involved on each card, but a tiny bit of art goes a long way..

I realize some spells that aren't of the "blasting" variety could be tough to illustrate, but I still think anything is better than the same generic symbols they put on each card..

Xodis

First Post
I've always liked the idea of spell cards with one exception - I wish they had individual art, unique to each spell, on the backs of each card..
It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but a simple fireball on the back of the fireball card sure would bring some personality to them..

The front of the boxes look nice - I'm certainly not asking for something that involved on each card, but a tiny bit of art goes a long way..

I realize some spells that aren't of the "blasting" variety could be tough to illustrate, but I still think anything is better than the same generic symbols they put on each card..

I think what you are describing is the difference between affordable to all cards and collectors edition cards for those with money to burn.

That being said I would wait in line right there with you lol.

Remove ads