D&D: The New Poker?

Dungeons & Dragons is more popular than ever before. As a result, D&D culture is starting to seep into other activities for grown-up gamers, including their professional lives. Is D&D now being used to network and blow off steam the way adults play poker?

Dungeons & Dragons is more popular than ever before. As a result, D&D culture is starting to seep into other activities for grown-up gamers, including their professional lives. Is D&D now being used to network and blow off steam the way adults play poker?

[h=3]A Change in Culture[/h]American culture, at least, has changed its relationship with Dungeons & Dragons:

When mainstream American culture was largely about standing in a factory line, or crowding into smoke-stained boardrooms for meetings, or even dropping acid and collapsing in a field for your hundred-person “be-in,” the idea of retiring to a dimly lit table to make up stories with three or four friends seemed fruitless and antisocial. Now that being American often means being alone or interacting distantly—fidgeting with Instagram in a crosswalk, or lying prone beneath the heat of a laptop with Netflix streaming over you—three or four people gathering in the flesh to look each other in the eye and sketch out a world without pixels can feel slightly rebellious, or at least pleasantly out of place.

This change paved the way for older players to return to the fold, as exemplified by the Old School Renaissance (OSR). What form of D&D you play doesn't matter, as every version lives eternally online. And as adults have gotten stable jobs that allows them more free time, they're finding they once again crave a connection with friends and peers.

The rise of professional game masters is evidence that this market exists and it's thriving.
[h=3]The Professional What?[/h]Professional game masters are paid for their services. Several factors contribute to the possibility of such a job: the popularity of Dungeons & Dragons, available leisure time, and the free cash necessary to pay for it. It took a while to get off the ground, as we covered in "D&D Goes to Work Part II: Professional Game Masters" in 2015.

Two years later, theory became reality. I interviewed Timothy James Woods, who was living the dream of a professional game master...and shortly thereafter became the subject of several publications fascinated by his achievement.

Woods isn't alone. Game mastering for kids is certainly part of a professional GM's income, but the very existence of professional game masters means that increasingly, adults value Dungeons & Dragons enough that they're willing to pay for the experience.
[h=3]Game Night for Creatives[/h]It's probably no surprise that many creative professionals, who have gone on to launch fantasy-themed franchises, are themselves avid D&D players:

Pendleton Ward, 34, says D&D was a huge influence in creating Adventure Time, his trippy Cartoon Network fantasy set in the postapocalyptic Land of Ooo (“I like how monsters in D&D are fully realized, with instincts and natural habitats and cultures,” he says). The same goes for David Benioff, 45, Weiss’ fellow Game of Thrones showrunner, who acknowledges how much his teenage D&D adventures taught him about basic storytelling. “I had a regular game with the Feinberg brothers,” he recalls of his adolescence in New York. “The whole campaign must have lasted four years.”...Community creator Dan Harmon, 43, has a regular game with such friends as Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation), Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) and Paul F. Tompkins (Mr. Show With Bob and David)...The notion that D&D gameplay can draw an audience is being tested increasingly these days, with games being played on podcasts like Nerd Poker and YouTube channels including Nerdist, where Chris Hardwick, Hollywood’s geek laureate, has been previewing Storm King’s Thunder, the latest prewritten campaign from D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast....Hardwick and Nerd Poker host Brian Posehn used to be part of a tight D&D circle that included Patton Oswalt.

D&D is certainly an influence on writers:

...the Times published an article about the game’s formative influence on a diverse generation of writers, including Junot Díaz, Sherman Alexie, George R. R. Martin, Sharyn McCrumb, and David Lindsay-Abaire. (To the Times’ lineup, I’d add a murderers’ row of Ed Park, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Paul La Farge, Colson Whitehead, and Sam Lipsyte.)

Be it comedians, television hosts, or creators of geek-friendly content, it makes sense that D&D would prove fertile ground for creative professionals, both to develop their own skills and network with each other.

Will D&D replace poker as the weekly adult get-together for busy professionals? For some very influential creatives, it already has.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Poker is still a multi-billion dollar industry. I think the scales are just... off. How about we see a D&D movie that makes a couple hundred million bucks, and then we can talk.

After the recent Supreme Court decision on sports betting, I’m looking forward to seeing who starts trying to make money laying bets on Critical Role games.

Wait...did I just give away a million dollar idea?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
We've rehashed professional DMs before, but the reason I bring it up is that there are adults out there who want to game badly enough that they're willing to pay for an in-person experience. I find that a fascinating shift in "gamers come of age."

For busy professionals, this is likely just as natural as outsourcing any other activity -- paying for a movie, watching a baseball game, going to a play. The difference is it's D&D.

Exactly. Not only an "in person" experience, I'm will pay for a one-off VTT. My problem is that there are not enough professional DMs. I would love to be able to schedule a 4-6 hour one-off game that fits my schedule, but it is difficult to find one off games, on short notice, that fit my schedule.

aramis erak

Legend
Half the staff at the local high school where I'm at, including the principal, are either former or current RP gamers. Of a staff of about 20.

My kids are complaining that the teachers are not getting to game.

rmcoen

Adventurer
I get "paid" by the players providing my dinner and snacks for the night. and generally, setting me up with enough pop and/or alcohol to last the two weeks until the next game. Does that pay the mortgage, no. Is the $20-$40 saved on consumables across 2 weeks "worth" 4 hours of my time, professionally? no, not even one hour. But we all feel like we "got value", and more importantly, had fun.

Most of us play phone or online games together too, and we're paying someone for that environment in which to game together, and for the story we're playing through, so there *is* value in that. I would feel weird charging them $20 for the evening, though (so $100 from 5 players, for 4 hours); then we aren't friends hanging out, they are customers and I am the provider, just like Foxnet and Marvel STRIKE Force is the provider, and I'm the customer.

All that aside -- I'd happily get paid to GM a bunch of strangers I'm not already friends with. That's called "volunteering at a Convention"! :)

Back to the OP's topic though -- most of the people I work with *now* are gamers of some kind (although, as the new guy, I don't game with any of them). You can walk around the office and hear conversations about last night's game, next week's convention, the phone game they're writing on the side, and so on. At my last job, I "caught" one guy reading a Warhammer book, and was thrilled to discover there was a third gamer in the office! (I had to fire the "second gamer" for playing MMORPGs constantly instead of working.) So is it "the new poker"? Depends on which pub/watercooler/neighborhood you hail from. At least I don't get dirty looks anymore when I mention gaming (still don't generally say "D&D"), and maybe every third parent at the Elementary School activities will mention WoW or a Eurogame they play!

SirGrotius

Explorer
I see comments about D&D being "more popular than ever" bandied about quite liberally. What is the evidence for this? I don't want to be a naysayer, and am a big proponent, but am curious the source for these claims.

Wallraven

Explorer
I see comments about D&D being "more popular than ever" bandied about quite liberally. What is the evidence for this? I don't want to be a naysayer, and am a big proponent, but am curious the source for these claims.
PHB sales figures give some evidence. 5e has outsold 3e & 3.5e combined across their entire lifespan.
The number of in-store games (Adventurers League) is another indicator.
Popularity of podcasts such as Critical Role shows the level of interest in D&D, but as someone said above, some people only watch & don't play themselves (and others, like me, just play & don't watch podcasts).

And that's just the visible activity. Who knows how many people are playing in private, possibly without paying for any books, ie, either just using Basic/SRD, or using pirated PDFs (or legit PDFs of older versions). This also makes it hard to estimate whether the number of private games has increased or decreased, of course...

The Monster

Explorer
I think the curling analogy is not far off the mark. The fact is, everyone who matters has gotten over the '80's scare, and enough people have been around D&D enough that it's not nearly as weird or subcultural as we self-proclaimed 'geeks' like to think. What with various major motion pictures (from LotR to GoT) as well as a swarm of electronic games, the whole medieval-fantasy genre is as close to mainstream as you can get. It shouldn't surprise us that D&D is showing up in business (whether as a tool or as paid GMing) as well as social interaction.

Mercurius

Legend
Poker: For people who aren't nerds and have no imagination
Fantasy Baseball: For people who are nerds and have no imagination
D&D: For people who are nerds and have imagination

(The missing fourth is some activity for who aren't nerds but have imagination...hmm)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
(The missing fourth is some activity for who aren't nerds but have imagination...hmm)

prince-concert-museum-memorabilia.jpg

aramis erak

Legend
PHB sales figures give some evidence. 5e has outsold 3e & 3.5e combined across their entire lifespan.
The number of in-store games (Adventurers League) is another indicator.
Popularity of podcasts such as Critical Role shows the level of interest in D&D, but as someone said above, some people only watch & don't play themselves (and others, like me, just play & don't watch podcasts).

And that's just the visible activity. Who knows how many people are playing in private, possibly without paying for any books, ie, either just using Basic/SRD, or using pirated PDFs (or legit PDFs of older versions). This also makes it hard to estimate whether the number of private games has increased or decreased, of course...

Last i saw, the D&D 5E PHB sales were claimed to have exceeded the brand's non-5E lifetime sales of PHB's, by Mike Mearls. He stated, at about 1.5 years in, that 5E PHB and DMG sales exceeded the total sales of 3.x.

The online play numbers, they show a roughly 4:1 ratio over other D&D flavors in the Orr Group report for Q4 2017. http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5009-Orr-Group-Q4-2017-Shows-Large-D-D-Bump And, yes, I'm including Pathfinder... but not starfinder.

If we oppose all D&D brand vs PF+SF, we get some 56,600 vs 10,400games played, of some 85,400 games overall. (rounded to hundreds.) over half the games played were D&D 5E, too, with 49,000 of those 56,600 being 5E.

5E is about a full magnitude greater than anything but PF, and 2 or more magnitudes over almost all others, in the Orr report.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads