[D&D3.X] Animal's Racial Bonus to Listen and Spot

Larkas

First Post
Hello there, guys!

I've been working in a simple advancement of a Leopard into a Warbeast Leopard and stumbled upon this at the animal statistics block in both SRD and Monster Manual:

SoveliorSage said:
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +11, Hide +8*, Jump +11, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Spot +6

With this description in the Combat block:

SoveliorSage said:
Skills: Leopards have a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks and a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. Leopards have a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. A leopard can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +8.

Breaking down the skills into bonuses, modifiers and ranks, and keeping in mind that the Leopard have 6 skill points (3HD Animal), I've found this:

Code:
                Total   Mod     Bonus   Rank

Balance         +12     +4      +8      0
Climb           +11     +3      +8      0
Hide            +8      +4      +4      0
Jump            +11     +3      +8      0
Listen          +6      +1      +2?     3
Move Silently   +8      +4      +4      0
Spot            +6      +1      +2?     3

As you can see, there is a non-specified bonus to both Listen and Spot. I've looked up several other Animals, and this stands true for all of them (Baboon, Badger, Dire Badger, etc.). I've looked up the Animal type description, and for what I could find, there's nothing about a "+2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot" declared anywhere. Do you guys know if I'm missing something? Is this declared anywhere else? It kinda makes sense for them to have this bonus, I'm just wondering if it's explicitly said anywhere, and where would that be.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Remove ads