D&D 4E D&D4e Social interactions, the Sweet Spot and Advancement

Fyrestryke

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
I am worried it will be even more miniatures-reliant than the current rules.

Miniatures...schminiatures. How many times have we played without minis or even a battle mat or heck online without even being able to see or hear each other. They'll never make the game where you HAVE to have miniatures, it would be a very, very bad move IMHO. So, even if the rules are mini-concentric (did I just make up a new word?), they're still just guidelines and you don't have to use that chunk of the rules. Least I hope not. If they ever FORCE a part of the rules on you, it's a bad, bad idea IMHO.

thormagni

Explorer
Grimhelm said:
We ain't playing it anyway!

Actually, many of us are playing it (Mutants & Masterminds.) Dave, Jason, Chris and I have quite a little campaign going in the world of Aberdave, which very closely parallels the world of Paragons. Although not exactly, because we started playing about three months ago and the book has been out for three weeks. But Aberdave is very much in the FLAVOR of Paragons.

thormagni

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
I am worried it will be even more miniatures-reliant than the current rules.

I'm frankly afraid that may be part of the point. Apparently even the online "game table" will feature collectible online miniatures which you will be able to purchase in random packs and use on the table. I suspect they are making too much money off of the minis games and not enough off of the RPGs to not make the two more closely related.

Grimhelm

First Post
thormagni said:
Actually, many of us are playing it (Mutants & Masterminds.) Dave, Jason, Chris and I have quite a little campaign going in the world of Aberdave, which very closely parallels the world of Paragons. Although not exactly, because we started playing about three months ago and the book has been out for three weeks. But Aberdave is very much in the FLAVOR of Paragons.

Sorry. I was unaware that D&D 4E was the same thing as Mutants and Masterminds. I was also unaware that you guys were playing it. Not that I really care what the system is, more or less, anyway, as you all know. Players make the game, not systems. It is up to me, not a rules set.

Last edited:

thormagni

Explorer
Grimhelm said:
Sorry. I was unaware that D&D 4E was the same thing as Mutants and Masterminds.

D&D4e isn't Mutants and Masterminds! I'm just saying that the Paragons book, with the rules for changing your society i.e. "Paradigm Shifts" is a Mutants and Masterminds book. And we are playing a Mutants and Masterminds game.

So when you said "Not that it really matters, I guess. We ain't playing it anyway!" I said, "Actually, many of us are playing it (Mutants & Masterminds.)"

Maybe I was reading too much into your "We ain't playing it anyway!" line. I made the assumption that could be read as "This has nothing to do with what we are playing right now, so why are we even bothering to talk about it?" And, so I was trying to point out that some of ARE playing in just such a game. And that since that game is very close to the Paragons book I just purchased for Mutants and Masterminds, that the rules might be of interest.

BUT, I did post this information about Paragons in the midst of a thread ostensibly about D&D4e. So I could see that might be off topic and somewhat misleading. And really, I guess the whole D&D4e/Mutants & Masterminds thread could be off topic for the forum as a whole, since it really is entitled "Inzeladun/Conan D20 forum." But I have basically been using this forum as "Whatever the heck I want to talk about with my friends from Columbus who I play games with every other week, more or less, except when I have to work."

Although, if we changed the name of the group to "Inzeladun/Conan/D20 forum," then talk of Mutants and Masterminds and D&D4e would once again be ON topic, since both are a D20 game. Sort of.

But, I suggest we have a poll on changing the name of the forum to "Whatever the heck I want to talk about with my friends from Columbus who I play games with every other week, more or less, except when I have to work" and that should clear up any problems.

Fyrestryke

Explorer
You need sleep my friend. ;)

I don't think this forum has ever been on-topic. It's always been a talk about whatever I want forum. ;)

You were reading too much into Grimhelm's statement. It was obvious that he was directing his "We ain't playing it anyway." to 4e. ;)

Anywho, as one of the moderators, carry on, and talk about whatever you like. =)

thormagni

Explorer
Fyrestryke said:
You need sleep my friend. ;)

You are absolutely right. Sorry I was snarky Mark.

I'm in a crappy mood. I'm just sitting here this morning at 9:45 a.m., knowing that a) they want me in work like 45 minutes ago, but also knowing that I am not going to get done until after 10 p.m. tonight. And I have already worked an hour and a half this morning.

The best part, I'm on salary. No OT for me. My wife and brother have me half talked into quitting my job right now. There is no light at the end of this tunnel. Ever. I just found out yesterday that the tunnel gets even darker further down the road.

Sorry to vent. Sorry to blow up Mark. I'm off to the slave pits.

InzeladunMaster

First Post
It sounds to me like the paper's management has no idea how to run the paper properly. Turnover seems high and morale seems low... that is a poor combination, especially for a print medium fast approaching the brink of extinction.

You can certainly do better. And you can certainly talk about whatever flips your skirts. M&M is certainly piquing my interest lately.

And, did you hear that Mongoose acquired the liscense for Traveller?

Last edited:

Grimhelm

First Post
No big deal here. The thread was started about 4E, so I assumed we were talking about 4E. Sorry. I get snippety too. No harm done. This particular subject is just one of my little pet peeves, and I tend to get a little edgy when talking about it. Anyway, it's all good!

Just remember this:

A kiss is but a kiss.

Fyrestryke

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
You can certainly do better. And you can certainly talk about whatever flips your skirts. M&M is certainly piquing my interest lately.

Skirt flipping - woo!

Hey Vince, are you getting my emails?

Remove ads