• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&DI Character Builder Beta

James McMurray

First Post
Got it working. I had .Net 3.5 SP 1 (beta) installed, and the installer didn't realize I didn't have the latest update. I installed the real SP 1 and it works now.

On just a cursory glance it looks really nice. Having the rules text and auto-calculation built in is sweet. I like that they added a link to the compendium to the powers, so you can always get the most recent info. The beta only does levels 1-3, so I can't tell if they'll have a way for the user to login as part of the data request.

Has anyone used the character sheet yet? Do the cards come out the right size that they could be slipped into a card sleeve?

Tancread

Explorer
You can type in over the ability scores listed. Don't use the +/- buttons, just type a score into the square boxes to the right of those. It let me put in arbitrarily high values, but I didn't test up too high (but it let me give a dwarf 40 Dex)

Thanks for that, I never would have figured that one out. Good spot! I am still plugging in characters from my house campaign and am slowly working through all the features and I like the tool. It will be interesting to see how well it is kept current when it is launched for real, but as a basic character gen it is pretty nice.

Deverash

First Post
For anyone else having problems with getting the beta to work, there's a known bug with it not running under a 64 bit operating system. They have a fix their testing in-house before releasing it. There should be something about it in DDI news that uploads tonight.

Kaffis

First Post
For anyone else having problems with getting the beta to work, there's a known bug with it not running under a 64 bit operating system. They have a fix their testing in-house before releasing it. There should be something about it in DDI news that uploads tonight.

Yeah, I figured this is what was wrong with the second Vista computer I installed it on.

You know, it'd be really nice if people would, you know, program cleanly so this sort of thing doesn't happen. It's not like 64-bit OSes are a new thing.

Nytmare

David Jose
Thusfar, my only real complaint is that I'm unhappy with the customizability of the character sheet. I really wish they gave you more control over your output.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Thusfar, my only real complaint is that I'm unhappy with the customizability of the character sheet. I really wish they gave you more control over your output.
The flexibility of the character sheet is one of the supreme features of the app if you ask me. You know you can drag-drop sections around, add new sections, new pages, etc. right?

Of course if you don't like the Wizards 4E character sheet then you're never going to like the output, but there seems to have been a metric ton of work done to make it as customisable as possible.

wedgeski

Adventurer
You can type in over the ability scores listed. Don't use the +/- buttons, just type a score into the square boxes to the right of those. It let me put in arbitrarily high values, but I didn't test up too high (but it let me give a dwarf 40 Dex)
Dammit! I spent an ungodly amount of time last night trying to decipher how to do that, and as usual the answer was staring me in the face! I think the help text to the right of the Ability Scores screen could do with including this nugget.

Remove ads