• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&DI Character Builder Beta

firesnakearies

Explorer
I really, really like it. It's not 100% finished or perfect yet, of course, but even now, it's damn awesome and useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Ernie

First Post
I gave it a try last night, and put together a couple of characters in under 20 minutes. Very impressive, I would say. The power card generation system is also very nice (I'm personally not a fan of the standard character sheet), and I'll definitely use it in the future.

My only complaint is the amount of houseruling it allows, for now. I allowed one of my players to give her Warlock the Improved Darkspiral Aura feat at heroic level, rather than at Paragon (as the feat description implies is supposed to happen, anyway), but the option's not there in the Character Creator. To be fair, though, 99% of the time giving feats across tiers is not something you want to do (though, on the other hand, taking illegal racial feats is allowed as houseruling).

Nytmare

David Jose
The flexibility of the character sheet is one of the supreme features of the app if you ask me.

As it stands from within the program, you have no control over the layout of the information within their predefined sets. There's no way to add your own customized pieces or remove parts that you don't need or want on your sheet, and you can't modify the layout of the Character Cards.

I'm sure that it's going to change eventually, and even if it doesn't it's simple enough to hack, but it was the one aspect of the sheet that I was expecting to see.

skitleer

First Post
I've tried, looks really nice. I just have some pb in the character sheet, more precisely the power cards : for some power the font used for the text is way too big (like size 40) and as a result you can't see what's written (and it's ugly). Does any one else has this problem ?
Also for some powers there is too much text and the last lines are then missing.

Baumi

Adventurer
It is really a great product, but it does have a few bugs to fix until the final version shows up:

-) Like skitleer mentioned, some Powers have such a big font that not even the first word is completely printed.

-) The Racial, Class and Featbox "overwrites" the other boxed that are under them. At default I don't see the Class-box (in the Character sheet), and it only becomes visible if I minimize, move or delete the Racialbox. I only see every box if I move those three at the butom of each column.

-) You cannot "equip" or otherwise show the Claw Attacks of the Gnoll.

-) If you equip two versatile Weapons (two longswords, etc) then it seems to assume you use one weapon with both hands since it adds the versatile bonus to the damage.

@Lord Ernie:
You can add house-ruled feats so even if you cann't equip the feat yet, you can simply add in a new one for this character.

James McMurray

First Post
The data is stored as XML, so it won't be long before WotC releases the schema or someone deciphers it, and once that happens we'll be flooded with third party character sheets, add-ons, etc.

It is really a great product, but it does have a few bugs to fix until the final version shows up:

-) Like skitleer mentioned, some Powers have such a big font that not even the first word is completely printed.

-) The Racial, Class and Featbox "overwrites" the other boxed that are under them. At default I don't see the Class-box (in the Character sheet), and it only becomes visible if I minimize, move or delete the Racialbox. I only see every box if I move those three at the butom of each column.

-) You cannot "equip" or otherwise show the Claw Attacks of the Gnoll.

-) If you equip two versatile Weapons (two longswords, etc) then it seems to assume you use one weapon with both hands since it adds the versatile bonus to the damage.

@Lord Ernie:
You can add house-ruled feats so even if you cann't equip the feat yet, you can simply add in a new one for this character.

Did you report these through the links in the system or the WotC forums? They won't get fixed if nobody tells the designers. :)

sdt

First Post
I have a question about the DDI Character Generator, is it a stand alone program or do you need to be on the Internet to use it?

Khime

Explorer
I have a question about the DDI Character Generator, is it a stand alone program or do you need to be on the Internet to use it?
You have to be on the Internet to install it, as it downloads data during the install process. After that it appears to be standalone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads