• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&DI - Lead Developer needed.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Plane Sailing said:
C# was first released in 2000, so I doubt anyone could have 10 years experience in c# development...

Some of the Microsoft people who created the .Net libraries probably have 10 c# and they live in the area already. :D

Or do they, where is Renton anyway?

carmachu

Adventurer
Drkfathr1 said:
My only concern is, if they've been planning for so long, and the DDI headlines 4E, and it's only 6 months away....why are they just now hiring their in-house people?

Thats my thoughts exactly...Wotc is banking on the digitial stuff and its...still needing a lead developer? WTF?

Kinda smacks of hastily thrown together...you know what I mean? Rushed is a better word into the 4e world....

ThirdWizard

First Post
Oh ye gods. As someone who has taken over projects from others in the past, I have to say that my goodwill goes out to whomever gets the job. Absorbing a project from even a good consulting agency can be daunting. Here's to hoping that documentation was in the specs for the project! I've taken over projects where there was no required documentation and no required training on the new system... here's the code, a database, and some other miscellaneous things! Good luck! Oh, and here's the list of things the customer wants added this week. *shudder* Never again.

Creamsteak

Explorer
ardoughter said:
Some of the Microsoft people who created the .Net libraries probably have 10 c# and they live in the area already. :D

Or do they, where is Renton anyway?

You can put Renton, Seattle, and Redmond all together for most purposes.

rounser

First Post
C## should be C#

UML isn't a markup language, it is language for modelling systems

C# was first released in 2000, so I doubt anyone could have 10 years experience in c# development...
Yep, it's HR cluelessness like this that makes the job market for IT such a three ringed circus.

It also fails to recognise that OO programming is not a software-specific skill beyond familiarising yourself a bit with the libraries, making it a bit like advertising for "10 years experience driving Fords".

Man, I'm glad I'm out of IT. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
carmachu said:
Thats my thoughts exactly...Wotc is banking on the digitial stuff and its...still needing a lead developer? WTF?

Kinda smacks of hastily thrown together...you know what I mean? Rushed is a better word into the 4e world....

At this point, I think anything WOTC does will be viewed in the most negative light possible by some folks.

It is a good thing that they want to bring this in-house. It is a good thing that they are looking to build more of the in-house now, before the outsourced project is done. It is a good thing they want people familiar with D&D for their in-house project.

Mercule

Adventurer
Mr Jack said:
Am I the only one cynical enough to read this as "we think people who are excited about D&D will work for us for way less than market rate!"?

Nope. I'd actually consider moving out to Seattle to get to work on gaming-related stuff, but not at a pay cut -- I actually really enjoy my current job. In fact, I'd consider doing something I liked significantly less for a pay boost. Four kids make a lot of mouths to feed and we've outgrown the house we bought when we were married.

jujutsunerd

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:

Unless they count C# as Java. ;-)

The languages are growing apart, but they're still *really* similar. Heck, when I write C# I pretty much write Java, and I don't get many compilation errors. :)

/Jonas, who wrote his first java program in 1997

drothgery

First Post
rounser said:
It also fails to recognise that OO programming is not a software-specific skill beyond familiarising yourself a bit with the libraries, making it a bit like advertising for "10 years experience driving Fords".

Well, to some extent. I mean, there's sort of the standard-issue modern OO language style, ala Java or C# or VB.NET. And any .NET language has the same libraries. But it's not like a typical business developer guy who's spent five years working in ASP.NET in C# can sit down and be productive in Smalltalk anytime soon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads