WotC D&D's officially licensed t-shirts need to try harder

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
_Desktop-(1).jpg

Tossing already-seen art on a t-shirt with your logo in the corner isn't creative or compelling. It's lazy. Even those of us who love the old box art aren't likely to buy more than one t-shirt like that, and given how many companies are just trying to sell shirts with the same handful of licensed art on them, it's a problem.

And worse for WotC, this actually encourages would-be customers to go to Etsy or RedBubble or other places where non-licensed art is being used and WotC gets no money at all (although they obviously benefit from the brand recognition). If you want to better monetize the brand, start with making licensed merchandising more worth buying.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
They also have officially licensed shirts with Heroes & Villains, with Death Saves, with Target, with Amazon via the monthly shirt club.

None of the lines use the same art or feel as above.

I still prefer my Dyson Logos shirt

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The disheartening thing is that they cant seem to find art pieces from more recent times that would be good enough to put on a t-shirt. Talk about confidence in your art direction.
The Caves of Chaos painting from, I think, either the 3E DMG 2 or a 4E DM-facing book, is amazing and I'm forever sorry that I never owned that book and don't have that art readily available to me in some fashion. I would 100% buy a notebook or desk mat or something with that art on it.

EDIT: Apparently it's from the 3E PHB2.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They also have officially licensed shirts with Heroes & Villains, with Death Saves, with Target, with Amazon via the monthly shirt club.

None of the lines use the same art or feel as above.
The Death Saves stuff is definitely not for everyone -- by design -- but is certainly not lazy.
I still prefer my Dyson Logos shirt
Does he know you took it?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The Caves of Chaos painting from, I think, either the 3E DMG 2 or a 4E DM-facing book, is amazing and I'm forever sorry that I never owned that book and don't have that art readily available to me in some fashion. I would 100% buy a notebook or desk mat or something with that art on it.
Even from 5e, the covers from Hydro would make awesome t-shirts. Or pieces like the skeleton tsunami in the tomb of Papazotl in ToA is pretty epic.

There's some good ones, why only keep with old covers and off-brand Vecna?

Remove ads