[D20 CoC] Mountains of Madness - Chap 4: Departure; Recruiting Alternate Players

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
George has been going from the mess hall to his room and back tending to his personal gear and cloths, organizing and cleaning his locker. After an hour or so he settles down in the mess hall catching a magazine about the latest science discoveries. Why a Yale Scientific Magazine was on board he did not know. But the issue was interesting in this number, applied physics was a quite out of his field but nor less interesting.
While sitting in the mess hall reading his magazine, George notices First Officer Turlow enter the mess hall with a short, balding man wearing a thick, high-collared woolen sweaters with leather patches reinforcing the elbows. The officer leads the man over to your cabin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• VittorioLiuzzi.jpg
    VittorioLiuzzi.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 109

Drowned Hero

First Post
Øyvind Raknes Sled Driver

Job said:
Fráncisco then opened his rucksack and began to carefully organize his things in an unused locker. While doing that, he commented to Øyvind, "Your friend is from Bergen, the town between the seven mountains? I have heard that it is beautiful there, in Norway."

'Yes yes seven mountains they claim to have, but im sure once i told it really was 10, depends on how you count, right?' 'but beautifully it is, when it not rains there.... i was there once it had been raining 3 weeks! and with the biggest gasp of wind i ever have seen after' 'clean city though'... Øyvind chittchats about the norwegian coast, telling Fransisco more then one small detail...... as he do he takes the bed straight across the door towards the mess hall.

Drowned Hero

First Post
George Barrow Scientist

Job said:
While sitting in the mess hall reading his magazine, George notices First Officer Turlow enter the mess hall with a short, balding man wearing a thick, high-collared woolen sweaters with leather patches reinforcing the elbows. The officer leads the man over to your cabin.

Job (the tortured one).

'Hello Mr?''first day at the ship?' he walks over to the newcomer and help him with his bags... 'George Barrow, scientist, and at your service'

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
'Yes yes seven mountains they claim to have, but im sure once i told it really was 10, depends on how you count, right?' 'but beautifully it is, when it not rains there.... i was there once it had been raining 3 weeks! and with the biggest gasp of wind i ever have seen after' 'clean city though'... Øyvind chitchats about the norwegian coast, telling Fransisco more then one small detail...... as he do he takes the bed straight across the door towards the mess hall.
Fráncisco continued talking to Øyvind while he stowed his gear in the locker, all the while asking questions about Øyvind's experiences in the Norwegian mountains. He tucked the rucksack in, then closed the locker door and turned to Øyvind, asking, "It is OK if I take the top bunk, señor?"

Øyvind smiled and nodded in return, saying "Yes, sure."

Fráncisco then carefully placed a small leather-bound book under the pillow of the top bunk. He smiled at Øyvind, saying, "Señor, if we are to be teammates on this long expedition, I would be happy for you to call me Paco."

Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Job

First Post
Taokanf said:
Camille returned to the ship immediately upon awakening, to continue helping with preparations. She wasn't terribly fond of manual labor and usually would have tried to avoid it, but all the meagre belongings that she'd purchased upon arrival in America had been stowed onboard already, so there wasn't a great deal for her to do besides help, and she far preferred working over being bored.

Not sure about what she should do, precisely, she began scouring the ship for Moore in case he had something specific that she should do.
Upon Camille's arrival at the SS Gabrielle with her luggage, she met First Officer Paul Turlow at the top of the entry ramp. As always, Mr. Turlow's grooming and manners were perfect.

He quickly took Camille's bags and set them to the side, saying, "Good day, Miss. I am First Officer Turlow, and you must be Camille Bardier, the ship's pilot?" When Camille acknowledged, he made a few notes on his writing pad, then picked up her bags and said, "Please follow me to your cabin, number 5, in the ship's aftercastle. As the lone woman on the expedition, you have been assigned a cabin all to yourself, as instructed by Commander Starkweather."

Here is a picture of First Officer Turlow and maps of the ship's aftercastle

As Officer Turlow leads Camille through the Ship's Mess area to her cabin, many of the crew members turn to look at Camille, smiling and nodding politely, tipping their caps. It's apparent that Camille is something of a curiosity on board; a single female amongst the crew of men. Officer Turlow remarks, "Never mind them, Miss Bardier. They're not used to having a female aboard and they've obviously misplaced their manners."

Camille finds her cabin to be fairly spacious compared to most others, particularly those with two and three occupants in bunks. Sunlight shines in through a round porthole above a wooden desk and the room contains a cot and chifferobe. The metal walls are painted light gray and all furniture except the deskchair are firmly bolted to the floor.

"If you need anything, ma'am, you'll find that my cabin is directly opposite the officer's mess. I'm in number 6, bunking with the chief engineer. Good day."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
'Hello Mr?''first day at the ship?' he walks over to the newcomer and help him with his bags... 'George Barrow, scientist, and at your service'
The man put down his bags, straightened to his full height of 5 foot 6 inches, and energetically shook George's hand. With a broad smile that lit up his entire face, the middle-aged man said, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Barrow! I'm Vittorio. Vittorio Luizzi." You detect a hint of an Italian accent in his speech.

He began moving his bags into the room while continuing his conversation, "This is a fine ship, is it not, Mr. Barrow? I have been on board a number of times working for Professor Moore, crawling over boxes and climbing ladders, checking everything. He is very meticulous, our Professor!"

"What sort of a scientist are you, Mr. Barrow?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Job

First Post
Job said:
...Vittorio Luizzi...energetically shook George's hand. With a broad smile that lit up his entire face, the middle-aged man said, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Barrow! I'm Vittorio. Vittorio Luizzi." You detect a hint of an Italian accent in his speech.
When shaking hands with Vittorio, George sees the tip of an envelope peeking from his jacket pocket and is reminded of the letter that he picked up when departing the Amherst Hotel this morning.

His memory of this morning's letter

He again reminds himself to later look at the letter.

Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Job

First Post
Since your arrival onboard the SS Gabrielle earlier today, the door to Starkweather and Moore's stateroom has been curiously closed and locked, although you've heard conversation inside and incoming rings from the telephone. You've not seen Starkweather or Moore; all instructions that you've received this day were from Officer Turlow.

Towards late afternoon as the crew is still settling in, a group of 4 policemen arrive on the scene and make their way to the main aftercastle, passing through the Ship's Mess to Commander Starkweather's room. A detective dressed in a rumpled coat and shirt and scuffed brown shoes, knocked on the door to Starkweather and Moore's chamber--and the police were allowed in.

This detective seemed familiar... Yes, some of you had met him at the Amherst hotel gunman incident after the police arrived... A Gunman Halts the Expedition Fundraiser --- Read about it here.

Going about your business of getting settled in your rooms, you overhear that conversations continue within the room for over an hour, but have trouble understanding what is being said. Eventually, the police exit the room with apologies and depart the SS Gabrielle. It's obvious to you that their departure has done nothing to brighten the spirits of Commander Starkweather, who continues ranting within the room about "Delays!", and "Finding someone new at this late date!".

You all suspect that you'll soon be informed.

Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Drowned Hero

First Post
Job said:
When shaking hands with Vittorio, George sees the tip of an envelope peeking from his jacket pocket and is reminded of the letter that he picked up when departing the Amherst Hotel this morning.

His memory of this morning's letter

He again reminds himself to later look at the letter.

Job (the tortured one).

[sblock]Jeeezzzz hint hint :)
and thanks![/sblock]

George gets distracted from Vittorio 'ah! the letter' 'escuse me Señor Vittorio i must read this before i forget again...'

Job said:
The man put down his bags, straightened to his full height of 5 foot 6 inches, and energetically shook George's hand. With a broad smile that lit up his entire face, the middle-aged man said, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Barrow! I'm Vittorio. Vittorio Luizzi." You detect a hint of an Italian accent in his speech.

He began moving his bags into the room while continuing his conversation, "This is a fine ship, is it not, Mr. Barrow? I have been on board a number of times working for Professor Moore, crawling over boxes and climbing ladders, checking everything. He is very meticulous, our Professor!"

"What sort of a scientist are you, Mr. Barrow?"

'Biology and Chemistry Señor' 'haven't done much of that lately as as you say we have been checking crates and boxes since we got here' 'im afraid this sea trip is far more complicated then i thought when i signed in' 'but now that de departure day is getting closer im assembling more of my small laboratory to analyze most of the things i can find at sea'

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Martin looks around New York Harbor from the S.S. Gabrielle and wishes that the journeyt would get underway. His recent conversation with Professor Pabodie and his earlier researches have lead him to believe that it isn't safe in New York any more.

Remove ads