[D20 CoC] Mountains of Madness - Chap 4: Departure; Recruiting Alternate Players

Job

First Post
Morpheus said:
Martin looks around New York Harbor from the S.S. Gabrielle and wishes that the journey would get underway. His recent conversation with Professor Pabodie and his earlier researches have lead him to believe that it isn't safe in New York any more.
As Martin tries to shrug off his sense of foreboding, he spots a copy of today's newspaper left on a deckchair, picks it up and begins leafing through it. His attention is captured by an article on the first page describing a recent increase in crime in the city and steps that the Mayor has begun taking to combat this threat. "Increased Police overtime ... doubling of cops on each beat ... neighborhood watch groups ... curfew at dusk in the worst sections of town." The mayor's comments continued on for a number of paragraphs, but Martin chose to continue on to the next page.

Then a loud horn blast from a passing tugboat surprised Martin and the newspaper shook in his hands; he momentarily lost his grip on the pages, losing a section over the railing, and watched as it floated to the dark water below.

Martin returned his attention to the remaining pages that he held. He began reading an interview with a physician who suspected an outbreak of tuberculosis in one of the city's slums. The doctor had been having a difficult time narrowing down the source of the aggressive disease and was considering asking the city leaders to impose a quarantine in that area. As Martin continued reading, a large shadow darkened the page and he looked up to see a raven fly directly over him and then land on a railing above. The raven fixed its black, beady eyes on him.

Martin shivered...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Job

First Post
...and his eyes drifted back to the far left column of the newspaper page.

Attachments

• Captains Death News.jpg
    Captains Death News.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 264

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Martin thinks to himself that this voyage will be more successful than the Miskatonic University expedition-despite the current foreboding harbingers he has seen...

Last edited:

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
George gets distracted from Vittorio 'ah! the letter' 'escuse me Señor Vittorio i must read this before i forget again...'
George withdraws the envelope from his jacket pocket and examines its contents, a typewritten note.

[OOC - The attached file is known only to George Barrow until this character chooses to show it to others]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• Warning.jpg
    Warning.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 283

Drowned Hero

First Post
George looks up put on his glasses and reads the letter again. He completely forget about Mr Luizzi as he almost run to find Dr.Moore.

Taokanf

First Post
After so many years of rough living, the enclosed spaces of the ship made her feel a bit queasy. Or maybe that was seasickness. In any case, Camille was anxious for a bit of fresh air, and felt that she could be excused in making a rather abrupt exit for the top deck.

Though anxious for the expedition to be underway she felt relieved at once upon getting out into the open air again.

Recognizing a familiar face from the gala, Martin if she recalled correctly, she raised a hand, opening her mouth for a "halloo," when the harsh cackle of seabirds drew her gaze up. Clutching her heat closer to her head to ptotect it from a sudden, stiff breeze, she watched the birds gracefully twirl and soar on the brisk winds blowing in the from the sea with a wistful expression. It was a perfect day to take to the skies...

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
George looks up put on his glasses and reads the letter again. He completely forget about Mr. Luizzi as he almost run to find Dr.Moore.
Vittorio Luizzi said:
Vittorio stood with his mouth open, watching George's back race across the mess hall and disappear through a doorway. He shook his head, turned, and began unpacking, muttering something to himself about "strange scientists...".
George rapped repeatedly on Dr. Moore's stateroom door to gain it's occupant's attention. Immediately thereafter, George heard Commander Starkweather's voice yell from within, "Yes! Dr. Moore and I are in conference and are not to be disturbed!"

Meanwhile, back with Vittorio in George Barrow's cabin:

A grey-haired man of thin, but sturdy, build poked his head into the room and said, "Hello there. That gent was in a bit of a hurry, wasn't he?" With a broad, easy smile, the man put down his duffle bag and reached out to shake Vittorio's hand, saying, "Jim Poole. A pleasure to meet you! It appears that we'll be roommates."

Vittorio responded with a firm handshake and said "Hello Jim. Vittorio Luizzi at your service. You may call me Vito, if you'd like. I think that our other roommate, Mr. Barrow, who just left, apparently read something that troubled him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• James R Poole.jpg
    James R Poole.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Job

First Post
Taokanf said:
...the harsh cackle of seabirds drew her gaze up. Clutching her heat closer to her head to ptotect it from a sudden, stiff breeze, she watched the birds gracefully twirl and soar on the brisk winds blowing in the from the sea with a wistful expression. It was a perfect day to take to the skies...
...and a perfect day to prepare the machines that would ultimately take Camille into the skies of Antarctica.

Camille's few brief minutes of reverie on the upper deck were interrupted by a yell from below on the main deck. Camille recognized Douglas Halperin, fellow pilot on this expedition, and recognized his sarcasm-laden cry, "Ms. Bardier, would you be so kind as to accept my invitation to join us down here to inspect the loading of our aircraft? I'd be much obliged."

[OOC - Link to photo of Douglas Halperin]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• Airplane Loading.jpg
    Airplane Loading.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Drowned Hero

First Post
George Barrow Scientist

Job said:
"Yes! Dr. Moore and I are in conference and are not to be disturbed!"[/COLOR]

'Sir, Mister Starkweather, sir' 'Its a very urgent matter sir' 'i cant think of any meeting more important then the much important news i have to communicate Dr. Moore and yourself' George Barrow holds the letter so tight that when he realizes hes unsure if the letter will be readable...

Good almighty what trouble are Im in ... And what consequence will this have for the expedicion... The Shooting at the Hotel is one thing, BUT this! Oh God oh God...

George twists his fingers as he waits

Last edited:

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
'Sir, Mister Starkweather, sir' 'Its a very urgent matter sir' 'i cant think of any meeting more important then the much important news i have to communicate Dr. Moore and yourself' George Barrow holds the letter so tight that when he realizes hes unsure if the letter will be readable...

Good almighty what trouble are Im in ... And what consequence will this have for the expedicion... The Shooting at the Hotel is one thing, BUT this! Oh God oh God...

George twists his fingers as he waits
You hear rapid, heavy footfalls coming towards the door, then an unlatching of metal from the inside, followed by the door pulled open so violently that the vacuum left behind it sucked your hair forward over your eyes.

A red-faced James Starkweather looms in the doorway, scanning you from head to foot, then impatiently barks, "What is it, man? And this had better be good!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Remove ads