• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Cthulhu] What Rough Beast... (Part II)

Anabstercorian

First Post
Steven Higgens

Before any of you react to Alex's rant, there's a knock at the door, short and terse. Alex looks up and goes towards the door. "That must be Steven," he murmurs. He opens the door to reveal a slightly sleepy looking young man with thick hair and prominent sideburns, wearing clingy, casual black shirt and slacks that contract with his white sneakers and hair. Despite this, he doesn't hold your attention overmuch - His wild hair seems to be a last ditch effort to be noticeable. Even so, he lacks presence.
"Hey there, uncle Alex. This where everything got weird?" He sniffs the air twice suddenly, and his eyes go wide. "What's with the smell? Spill something staining?"
Alex bites his lip. "You could say that..."
Steven pushes in to the room, flashes an innocent, friendly smile, and gives a sort of half-bow to all of you. "Hi, I'm Steven. You're all friends of Alex? He's my uncle." Abruptly you notice that he openly sports a pistol on his hip, and a pair of magazines on the opposite side. Those of you who are especially knowledgable in such things recognize it as a Model 17 - Not actually legal for civilian use, technically...

Black Omega

First Post
Kelly watches the confusion with a mix of sadness and bemusement. When the chance comes up, she will explain "It's really just Astronomical data. Star paths, magnetic resonance. Everything came down to that number. Like the center of a big star chart."

She grows a little more anxious as she listens Alex, frowning a little as the story goes on. She glances to the others to see how seriously they are treating it before she looks back to Alex as he returns, with just a hint of wariness "So..um..who did you run into last night that might do something weird like that? Have you called the police?"

She offers a friendly nod to Steven though. However, her level of anxiety grows when she spots the gun. Just what -has- she walked into...

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post
Re: Steven Higgens

Anabstercorian said:
Those of you who are especially knowledgable in such things recognize it as a Model 17 - Not actually legal for civilian use, technically...
Kelly would have no idea about a Glock Model 17. Are they actually illegal in the LA area? I'm curious...

Spoof

First Post
Randy Morrison

Randy stands at the table while listening to Alex’s story, quietly listening to what happed to him over the night. Almost as soon as Alex finishes his rendition of what had happened to him then his friend walk in, and introduces himself. Randy quickly spots the weapon holstered at his side and subtly moves himself into a more protective position of Kelly, and Julia.

Randy looks to Alex and says, “Well I can understand your concern. But they probably followed you home last night, why they would do such a thing I do not know, and as for the dead bird? It is strange though because that was the same thing Alaster said at the funeral, ‘God is Dead’. I wonder why they have said that, and come to think of it didn’t the suspect last night say the same thing?”

As an after thought Randy pulls out the piece of paper that Alaster had at the funeral and gives it to Kelly. “Kelly, do you know what any of these formulas are for or about. We got it from Alaster, a man who spoke at Mr. Pickman’s funeral. He seemed a little deranged and believe it or not had bugs crawling over him at the funeral.”

Next Randy turns to Steven “Hello Steven, how did you get dragged into this, and has your uncle told you everything that has happened so far?” At those statements Randy once again glances down to the gun at Steven’s side and wonders Does this kid think that wearing a gun on his side like that is going to intimidate people. The only people who are going to be scared are those who wonder what he is up to, anybody that sees the gun and wants it will take steps and take him down. By wearing it on the outside he has lost any chance of surprise. “Oh and Steven, are you sure that you need to be wearing an illegal firearm out in plain view like that?”

Randy surveys the group of people here and looks for any sign that they might have had a bad nights sleep. “I have a question for everyone here. Did anyone have any nightmares or unsettling dreams last night? With all the excitement yesterday…” With that Randy just leaves the statement unfinished.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Steven

Steven does a double take. "It's illegal here? Crap! I had a permit to carry it back in CalTECH. I'll stow it, promise." He untucks his shirt and slides it over his holster.

The Crimster

First Post
OOC: GAH! For some reason I haven't been getting the 'updated' emails! Ok, I'll update this later on today. Sorry folks, I've been out of it and I depended on those emails.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Alex

Alex looks sternly at Steven. "Honestly, Steven, I thought you'd be more sensible than that. We have to be careful not to arouse too much suspicion from anyone!"

He turns towards the rest of you. "Julia, Randy, Kelly, this is Steven, my nephew. I originally called him because he has a real head for numbers, a lot more than me, and I thought he'd be the best person to talk to [that guy who went to jail whose name I can't remember.]"

Steven nods. "Right. I'm very pleased to meet all of you." He looks around, then steps towards the study. "So what's up, exactly? I heard something about some sort of space gateway... And some really angry bees. How much of that's true?"

He stops cold as he sees the chalk outline.

The Crimster

First Post
November 5th, 1999.
11:06 AM PST.

"Dr. Silver..? Are you all right?"

Ray looks up from the stack of paperwork on his desk. Michelle Williams, his secretary, stands at the doorway to his office. Her head is cocked to the side as if she is peering at something she has never seen before, and isn't sure she likes it. Her blonde hair, mostly gray now - sits in a two buns on the side of her head that makes her look like an elderly Princess Leia. Why hasn't anyone told her that yet?

Ray suddenly realizes she's been calling his name for the past few minutes, but he didn't hear her at all. His mind was elsewhere - dwelling on yesterday. He had been staring at the same medical chart for god knows how long.

"Sorry, Michelle. Just thinking about other... things. What can I help you with?"

Michelle gives a slight disapproving frown. What is it about doctor's assistants that makes them suddenly become motherly??

"As I was saying... There's someone here to see you. I know you have to get to prep soon for the Peterman surgery, but he says he has an appointment."

"Does he?"

Michelle sits down somewhat awkwardly in a nearby chair and looks at the ground.

"It's funny, Dr. Silver. I cleared your calender three days ago! I remember! He shows up a few minutes ago and I tell him that he doesn't have an appointment, but he says in this creepy voice, 'Look again'. So I look! And there his name is, Alister Chilton! I am so sorry Dr. Silver I just...."

Ray, Michelle's voice trails off to become just so much line noise. You feel cold suddenly, and very very tired. Alister? Here?? It can't be the same man that you saw yesterday at the funeral. But it is. You can feel it in your bones. Now the question is this - What are you going to do about it?

Elsewhere...

Introductions are made all the way around. Julia seems at first hesitant to include Stephen, but her trust in Alex is strong and after a few minutes she begins to relax around him.

Kristof shambles over to sit next to Kelly and looks at the paper Randy sets in front of her. It is the paper that he took from the odd man at the funeral - Alister, his name was. He read from it as if it were a eulogy, but all that is there now are mathematical symbols and formula that seem to complex and odd to be real. Kristof stares at it longer than Kelly, and scratches his chin, mumbling to himself.

Julia sits down in a living room chair, and stairs at everyone. The look on her face is that of someone who has lost control over something, perhaps. But yet feels perfectly comfortable knowing it is in the hands of those she trusts. She looks to everyone with a smile and coughs politely. Everyone turns.

"So... We have Alister's paper, the notes from Alan, the letter from Tracey - one of Alan's students, and this... number that Alan had Kelly working on. What does it all mean? Alan thought you - all of you - might be able to figure it out. Where do we start?"

OOC: Sorry guys - in addition to NOT getting my email responses, I've been extremely busy in other areas. Forgive me? You still there? Guyyys? Helloooo? Why am I all alone here? Who's that? What's that in your hand?!? Aiiiieeeeeee!

Anabstercorian

First Post
Steven and Alex

Alex looks to Steven, who looks back, still shaken from the sight in the other room. Steven speaks in a low, intent voice. "This is what you needed me for, right? Not to shoot stuff or any kung fu crap. You needed this." He points to his head. "The math man."

Alex nods. "That's why I called you."

Steven sighs. "Lemme see the notes that that guy at the funeral had. I might be able to figure em out... What they mean, you know."

[ Mathematics check, +11 modifier. Taking 20 if possible, rolling if not. ]

"I'm afraid I don't know ANYTHING about astronomy. I can't interpret the number Kelly has." He nods to Kelly and gives her an empty smile, but sweet nonetheless, like empty calories in a fairy cake.

Remove ads