• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Cthulhu] What Rough Beast... (Part II)

Spoof

First Post
Randy Morrison

Randy’s eyes dart to everyone around the room. “Well I think that we need to find some of the students that were with Alan that night. Julia if you know where we can reach any of them that would be great. Alaster, since we have already met him would be my first choice.”

Randy motions to Alex that he wants to talk to him in private. After they walk off a little way Randy talks to him in a quite voice. “Have you noticed that Kristof has been acting a little different lately, more disquieted? I think that he may know something that he is not telling us.”

Randy looks intensely at Alex “I want to try and put what Dr. Alan said to the test. If you really are ‘Special’ and can draw things that others cannot really see then draw Mr. Kristof for me. See if you can bring to light what he is hiding before I confront him directly”

Anabstercorian

First Post
Steven and Alex

Steven looks over the notes with a confused look on his face, trying to figure out what the hell it means, as Alex is led away. Alex first seems confused, then nods understandingly, looking a little nervous. He's never tried anything like this before.

He nods. "Allright, Randy. I'll do my best. Will a pencil sketch do?" He heads back to his seat and starts drawing Kristof, trying not to think about it too hard, lest he ruin his intention of precognition by focusing on the present.

The Crimster

First Post
Steven sits down at the dining room table and begins to look at the paper that Alister brought to the funeral. He quickly asks for a pen and a piece of paper, and begins to take notes. At times he shakes his head (usually followed by "Hmmm, that's not right..."). Within a matter of a half an hour he has 5 pages of notes and formulas and a killer of a headache.

Steven, you almost think that it's not math. The variables that this 'Alister' created are seemingly arbitrary and random. And yet - you still are finding a consistent rhythm to the system. It's a wild take on chaos theory mixed with religion and nihilism. The purpose of the single page is fairly clear, if a bit... unusual. It involves the nil character - which signifies nothingness, of course. The absence of numbers. The paper is a theoretical take on how systems break down under what Alister calls the 'Nil Point'. This is where entropy is so great that even social structure breaks down - civilization would collapse to such an extent that it conceivably could usher in a new dark age. Such things are pure theory of course - only a nuclear war or some other catastrophe could cause such a thing. The paper however seems to say that it is this nothingness - the Nil Point - that will destroy the world. The full meaning of this is unclear, but you still have a massive headache.

After speaking privately for a moment, Randy and Alex return to the front room to join Julia and Kelly. Kristof still sits in the kitchen, pouring over a variety of books. He is still visible to those in the front room, however.

Taking his pad, Alex begins to sketch. Within 20 minutes, he has a likeness of Kristoff, glasses askew, reading a dusty tome. It is an excellent piece - the hair on his head is even slighty dishevelled (although truth be told, it almost looks as if there is a bit of grease or water in Kristoff's hair - Alex put in a bit too much 'shinyness' there, perhaps).

Kelly and Julia quietly discuss the potential meaning of the numbers, but come to no real conclusion.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Steven

Steven gets up and grabs any soda available from the fridge. "He's a nut, but a real bright nut. Ever read 'Foundation' by Isaac Asimov? This guy is kind of the same thing... He's trying to predict when the world will end through mathematical simulation. The math is complete ass, but the theory is sound, as it boils down to, 'When enough :):):):) happens, the world ends.'"

He sits down. "I might be able to get more out of it with time... There's another thing in there about a sort of social event horizon, called the Nil Point. When entropy becomes the defining factor of a system, even a social system, and everything goes down the :):):):)-hole."

Goodness. Steven has quite a potty mouth.

Anabstercorian

First Post
bump. C'mon, people, let's get some investigation on. Steven is going to go interview Ted along with anyone who wants to, and we have that old ex-student to check on. She might be who left the dead pigeon. On top of that, Dr. Silver really needs to respond regarding Alister. Wake up, folks!

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
The Crimster said:
November 5th, 1999.
11:06 AM PST.

"As I was saying... There's someone here to see you. I know you have to get to prep soon for the Peterman surgery, but he says he has an appointment."

"Does he?"

Michelle sits down somewhat awkwardly in a nearby chair and looks at the ground.

"It's funny, Dr. Silver. I cleared your calender three days ago! I remember! He shows up a few minutes ago and I tell him that he doesn't have an appointment, but he says in this creepy voice, 'Look again'. So I look! And there his name is, Alister Chilton! I am so sorry Dr. Silver I just...."

Ray, Michelle's voice trails off to become just so much line noise. You feel cold suddenly, and very very tired. Alister? Here?? It can't be the same man that you saw yesterday at the funeral. But it is. You can feel it in your bones. Now the question is this - What are you going to do about it?

*Ray shudders, as the events of yesterday are now firmly in the forefront of his mind, exactly where he wishes they wouldn't be. Lips tight, he nods at Michelle*

"Tell him I can talk to him for only ten minutes," he says thinly. Michelle nods, losing some of her frantic look. They've played this game before. She'll walk in and call him "to prep for surgery" after Alister's alloted time is up. Useful trick if someone unwanted is visiting. Hopefully it will work this time...

*As Michelle leaves, Ray looks back at his paperwork, his eyes very tired*

"I never thought I'd see the day when I'd prefer paperwork over people..."

Spoof

First Post
Randy Morrison

Randy looks at the picture that Alex drew of Kristof. Well it does not seem that this shows anything Randy thinks. “Alex do you mind if I take this for now?”

“All right people I think that it is time for us to get moving on what or who killed Professor Alan. Alex and Steven I think that you should head to the university and bring back all of the professor’s belongings back here. One I think that we should go through them to see if there is anything there, and also I think the Julia would like to have his things here. Kristof, Kelly, if she wants to go, and I will go and visit some of the professors partners that night to see what they can tell us. We will start off by visiting some of those that are in the institutions and then talk to the couple that are still out, if we can find them.”

“Julia if you can get the key to Alan’s office for Alex and I could use the names and locations of the professors friends.”

Randy will exchange cell phone numbers with Alex so they can keep in touch if the need to. He will also leave his number with Julia in case anyone calls here looking for him.
Randy will also phone in to headquarters and let them know he will be out of the office for a few days as an urgent personal matter has come up.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Alex and Steven

Alex and Steven nod, quickly fetching the key to Alan's office after Alex slips Randy the portrait. They head out the door feeling ready to face this crisis proactively.

[Alex and Steven are leavin' for Alan's old office. There, they will no doubt be killed by a twist of fate. Failing that they will retrieve Alan's belongings and return them to the house for clues. They are not speeding.]

The Crimster

First Post
After a few moments, Ray hears a scratching at his office door. It sounds as if a rather large rat is trying to get in. Before he can react, the door knob turns, revealing the pale face that he saw at the funeral just yesterday. Alister.

He looks the same as when you saw him last - disheveled, dirty, and somewhat dazed looking. He slides into the office, quietly closing the door behind him.

"Hello Alister." Ray says. "How did--"

"Your friends." Alister interrupts before Ray can go any further. "You friends are going to die Dr. Silver." Alister is looking down as he says this, seemingly unable to meet Ray's eyes. "The biggest integer of all is going to kill them. Crush them beneath it's bulk. Numbers are heavy, know what I mean? I just thought you should know." He takes a seat in one of the leather office chairs and begins to look glumly at his hands. Ray, you can't help but notice crusted dirt all over Alister's clothes. He must have been almost rolling in mud last night.

Elsewhere, at the Pickman House...

The group at Julia's house quickly breaks up and begins to investigate the murder of Alan. Julia provides a set of keys to Stephen and Alex, which will open not only his office door, but the main door for the math department. Kristof, Kelly, and Randy are given a list of four possible contacts to meet and speak with. She also wrote some notes to each one, giving a little background.

1) Hector Kile - Student. Probably in class about now. Was next to Alan on the campus sidewalk when he had his heart attack. Was with him all the time, called 911 and performed CPR. Has never been a student of Alan's. Good kid.

2) Professor Amber Reyes - Mathematics Chairwoman. At the campus now. Recently elected. Has never liked Alan or me for some reason. If you need something done or need to find something out *officially* at the campus - you have to go through her.

3) Sam Miles - Professor. At home. All of you met him yesterday, wonderful man. He will answer any questions you might have. He has some business to attend to later tonight (he says he'll be out of town) but I'll call him and let him know you're coming.

4) Tracey Kemper - Former Student. She is the only member of the i Society that I know very well. She is currently committed at the Newcastle Sanitarium in Santa Barbara. I don't know if you would be let in to see her, I can't ask them to let you in. Maybe if you know someone that can help you there, I don't know. She was there that night. I've never asked her about it, she's never told me.

Randy, your office gives you a bit of a hassle, but you manage to browbeat them into giving you the time off.

OOC: So whom do you wish to visit first, hmmm? FYI - Santa Barbara is about an hour and a half from your present location. I will post the Alex/Stephen investigation in about an hour..! (lunch for me)

Remove ads