• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Cthulhu] What Rough Beast... (Part II)

The Crimster

First Post
Stephen says a few words to the workers and then begins to search throughout the remaining cabinets and desk. Some of the workers turn back to their work, slamming hammers and axes into the walls, trying to break through for a future expansion, perhaps. One of them closes the door, mumbling something about not disturbing everyone with their pounding. The room has the distinct smell of sweat and hard work, making the air almost unbreathable.

During the first few minutes of the search, Stephen realizes that it could take quite some time. Each drawer is literally filled to overflowing with paperwork. Did this guy ever throw anything away? He muses. Most of it is useless - homework, term papers, reports.

"So what are you looking for, again?" softly asks one of the workers on the other side of the room.

Crouched over a pile of papers in the center of the floor, Stephen looks up absently at the worker. He's about 30 or so, his white shirt covered in sweat and plaster. A smile seems to light up his face, as if happy to be able to take a break from what must be tiring work. Not too bad looking, in a way - perhaps a bit too short and thin. More of a librarian-type than a blue-collar. Looking back down at some poorly drawn Maltin theorems, Stephen responds. "Papers. Belonging to Doctor Pickman. Don't worry, I'll stay out of your way."

The voice that suddenly comes from behind Stephen is pitched low - almost like a growl. "It's Professor Pickman, you piece of squirrel crap."

Stephen's head whips around fast enough to see one of the workers - a tall, gangly looking man - bringing down a sledgehammer towards his face. Without thinking, Stephen tries to duck and raises his hand in a vain attempt to ward it off. The hammer slams into Stephen's hand, crushing it with the sound of wet twigs snapping. Stephen cries out in pain as he feels several of the bones in his hand shatter. Unable to rise, Stephen half-falls, half-rolls to the ground trying to get out of the range of his attacker.

Then he realizes the other workers have hefted their work tools, and are advancing with maniacal grins.

Stephen, his body filled with adrenaline and pain, can only think one coherent thought: Not workers at all but them and they're looking for something and I have to warn Alex!

Meanwhile, just outside that room...

Alex looks at the receptionist, and away from the floating thing that seems to circle her like a shark. "Sorry, I - There was a huge, huge fly buzzing around your head, and I'm deathly afraid of insects. Anyway, I'm looking for some old papers that used to belong to Dr. Pickman... Do you think you could help me find them?"

"A huge fly, hunh?" The receptionist giggles again. She walks around the desk and sits down, and begins to pick up her purse. "Sure thing, I think I might have something for you."

Alex, you look over and see that the door to Alan's office is closed. Odd. Your forehead starts to hurt again, too. You look at the receptionist, and back at the door. You feel woozy, all of a sudden. Sweat has popped out on your brow. Then, you see it - on the receptionist's hand, as she begins to pull something out of her purse. A single letter tattooed on the back of her hand - a lower case i. And what she's bringing out of the purse? A huge .45. You have but moments to act.

Meanwhile, at the office of Dr. Ray Silver...

"Is there any way we can protect ourselves then Alister?" Ray asks. "Anyway we can prevent others from finding this 'what is lost,' if it's so dangerous?"

Alister nods, and brushes his lanky hair back (dislodging onto the carpet quite a few of his... friends). "Yeah. You have to. They're all at the University, trying to find it. You'll try and find it, too. But the King hid it good. And they can't even see it, those who have the third eye. But what I can see is that it will be found - because I can see the numbers, and how they're stretching towards something. Towards a finding."

Alister looks down into his lap, and begins to move his hand as if he is writing something, though he holds no pen.

"He told me to not interfere, because I wasn't a believer. But how could I not be a believer? I just know that everything becoming nil is not... good. It's not the natural state of numbers to be nil. And numbers are good. Numbers are very, very good." Alister looks up at Ray with a bit of fear in his eyes.

"I hope, for the sake of numbers - not to mention what you call reality and life - that you know numbers. Or that one of you does. Because if not, God's coming back. And I don't think he's going to be happy, Mr. Ray. Not one bit."

Last edited:

Spoof

First Post
Randy Morrison

Randy looks at the phone while wondering what he needs to do to get into see the young woman. As he drives he punches in Julia’s number.

“Julia hi is Randy. Did your husband ever go to see Tracey at the hospital? I know that when I was put in the institution after what happened to Susan, I gave the staff a password that allowed anyone who knew it to visit me, any time of the day, Did Alan and Tracey have such a word, and do you know what it might be?”

If she does not know of any password I will contact the a friend in the Agency to get me clearance into see the patient on the excuse that she might be needed as a correspondent to a murder of friend of hers.

As Randy drives along the road he wonders why the dreams are starting to return. He has not had nightmares for years; ever since he met Professor Pickman, and why not what he is dead are the starting again. Randy thinks back to when he first met Alan, after being referred to him by a friend that went to the college that Professor Alan taught at, regarding the mathematical symbol Randy always seemed obsessed with.

“Professor Pickman, my name is Randy Morrison and I am working on a murder case.” At that point I showed him my badge and he invited me into his office to sit and talk.

“Mr. Pickman..”

“Please call me Alan”

“Very well, Alan, I need your help with something. A few years back a young woman was brutally murdered in her apartment near the college she was attending in upstate Washington State. I was talking to Tommy Blackman, a student of yours at one time I believe. Anyway he told me that while you seemed a little eccentric you were the best math professor he had ever seen. So I have come here to ask your help with this case.”

Randy then extended a, envelope containing some 8x11 pictures to Alan, as he reached for them Randy grabbed his hand and said “Mr. Pickman these are quite…..” Rand’s voice trailed off at that point as the professor’s face drained of all color and he started to shake visibly. “Mr. Pickman are you ok?”

Alan with a voice filled with horror whispers “I can see her, I can see what they did to her. Oh you poor man you have lived with this everyday with no one able to help you. I promise you I will do everything I can to help you find the monsters that did that to your girlfriend, I swear.”

Randy shakes himself out of the memories and sets himself for the task ahead, and pulls a picture out of his jacket “I promise Susan I will find them and make them pay for what they did to you, I still love you and I will see you again my love, I promise”

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Stephen cries out loudly, trying to roll away in that smooth motion that usually comes so easily to him, but seems to be eluding him now. As he kneels, he brings himself to his feet, drawing his gun in the same smooth motion. He snarls, biting back tears.
"They were boring papers anyway," he mutters, gripping his gun and pulling the trigger over and over and over, firing towards their chests and heads. "Back the :):):):) off, :):):):)face!" His gaze flits from worker to worker, angry and terrified like a cornered animal, his shattered hand held miserably against his chest.
He glances behind him. Maybe the window... Hard to miss a window that size.

[I'm using a MEV to stand up. Since I have a BAB of +1, I can draw my gun in the same motion. Then I'm basically readying an action - First motherfugga to get within five feet of me gets three to the chest, the rest of my shots have no measurable chance of hitting. I should use up about 9-12 of my bullets with this actions, 1d4+8.]

Alex, for his part, simply launches himself at her as hard as he can, ignoring the strange creature and the sound of guns and screams in the next room, hoping to knock her off balance.

[Charging disarm attempt.]

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"There's someone I know that knows numbers. They're trying to figure out what this all means, today even."

*Ray blinks a moment, then remembers the letter from last night*

"Alister, do you know Tracy?" he asks in a hope that might get some more information out of him.

OOC: - I'm off to GenCon! Back in action Wednesday!
OOC:

Remove ads