• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Fantasy

DiamondB

Explorer
So I'm thinking about converting the campaign world I use (Terra Viejo) to the d20 Modern ruleset, as there are some things that I like about it in relation to the campaign world. Particularly the fact that I can have campaigns in the future, present and near past of a campaign world that is very Earth-like, without changing rules...much. However, as Terra Viejo does have significant fantasy elements and it was designed as a D&D campaign world and so it currently uses the somewhat different D&D ruleset.

So here's my question, which do you think would be easier:
1) Developing from scratch advanced classes that emulate the existing D&D classes,

or

2) Reverse engineering the D&D classes into d20 Modern advanced classes?

Of course, there's the tiny glimmer of hope that someone has already done one or the other and thus saved me a bunch of work, but I'm rather realistic.

malladin

Explorer
Don't forget DarkLore - a bit more dedicated to fantasy than Grim Tales, and is easier to adapt to existing D&D magic systems.

Cheerio,

Ben

arscott

First Post
One of GT's main selling points is that it's low-magic. It may not be particularly appropriate for a straight D&D port.

And I'd suggest reverse engineering, and then adapting where inappropriate. Urban Arcana gives a list of class equivalents for the D&D core classes
Code:
Barbarian	Thrasher
Bard		Personality or Negotiator
Cleric		Acolyte, then Ecclesiarch
Druid		Wildlord and Mystic
Firghter	Archaic Weaponsmaster
Monk		Martial Artist
Paladin		Archaic Weaponsmaster, then Holy Knight
Ranger		Wildlord
Rogue		Infiltrator
Sorcerer	Mage, then Archmage
Wizard		Mage, then Archmage
Of course, some stuff on this list is problematic.

Neither the Personality nor the Negotiator is a particularly good fit for the bard. Glamourist is probably the best AdC to represent a bard, as it's got much better synergy with the inspiration talents of the Charismatic base class. Even then, the Glamourist only has a couple of spell-like abilities.

The Tierra Viejo website suggests that spellcasting bards are pretty rare, though, so that may be a bonus. And it wouldn't be to hard for bards to pick up a few levels of mage or sorcerer for spellcasting ability (or even telepath if you want to include psionics). Still, there isn't yet and advanced class that really captures the spirit of the bard, so this is the biggest candidate for an entirely new AdC.

the Cloistered/Martial divide for Tierra Viejo is probably best represented by the base classes chosen by prospective clerics. (for instance, Smart/Accolyte or Dedicated/Accolyte for cloistered, Strong/Accolyte or Tough/Accolyte for martial). The elven priests might be best represented via new AdCs or PrCs.

The list above predates the Shaman from D20 Past, a much better fit for the Druid.

Archaic Weaponsmaster works as a generic D&D fighter, but so do several other classes from a variety of sources. Don't limit yourself.

The Martial Artist is a lot less flavorful and mystic than the D&D monk. Given the Eurocentric nature of TV, however, that's probably a good thing here.

Holy Knight is a PrC, so you can't get any paladin-like powers until level 9 at the earliest. You might consider adapting the Purifier from d20 Future

As an alternative to the Wildlord, you could combine a few levels of Shaman with a martially focused Base or Advanced Class for your ranger build.

D20 Past's Gangster makes a good rogue if your primary goal is sneak attack

See Comments on Druid. The d20 Past Sorcerer makes a better sorcerer than the Mage.

As for the 30 or so PrCs, some might be easily adapted into AdCs or modern PrCs, Others translated into their Modern/Arcana/Future/Past/Apocalyptic equivalents, and still others just ignored entirely. I'd have read the the things and gone into greater detail, but I should have gone to bed two hours ago.

Night.

solomoncane

First Post
I like Grim Tales for this sort of adaptation, but you might also look at the Second World Sourcebook for ideas about retaining fantasy and modern rule sets.

danzig138

Explorer
I think it would probably be about equal in terms of work, and I think it would be a combination of both redesigning and reverse-engineering. I know a while back, I saw a document online somewhere called Classically Modern, I think, that was supposed to redo the D&D classes into d20 M AdvC, but I don't know how good it was.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I will add in my voice for Grim Tales as well. Yes, as presented, Grim Tales is low magic, but that would be easy enough to change by redifining the talents for casting spells.

Tolen Mar

First Post
Ok, quick question, then...

I was going to use elements from d20 modern, past and future to assemble a spelljammer-esque game (save that you didnt need a spellcaster to pilot, think of it more like Treasure Planet).

Would Grim Tales or Darklore make a good starting point for that?

malladin

Explorer
Tolen Mar said:
Ok, quick question, then...

I was going to use elements from d20 modern, past and future to assemble a spelljammer-esque game (save that you didnt need a spellcaster to pilot, think of it more like Treasure Planet).

Would Grim Tales or Darklore make a good starting point for that?

Hmmm, don't know how well DarkLore could do this. If you've got D20 Future, that should cover the space-ships side. DarkLore is best at doing classic fantasy novel style games, where you want a bit more lethality, less magic items (apart from the significant ones) and better systems to handle the intigue/political side of the game. Plus it doesn't try to reinvent the wheel too much, just taking a D20 Modern ethos (and some systems), but applying it to a 3.5 ed core system. I guess DarkLore might be compatible with D20 Modern enough for spaceship type stuff, but I couldn't guanatee it. Grim Tales is a bit closer to the D20 Modern starting point, but does (some people think) unecessarily reinvent a few systems, which might make for more difficult conversion for the fantasy stuff.

The game sounds cool though. Any chance of a bit of insight into the background?

Ben

Remove ads