• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Future] 22nd Century: Solar Odyssey to Hell. [The game]

Turanil

First Post
Chapter 2: IN EARTH'S ORBIT

At 08:00, all of you embark on the shuttle. A couple of hours later, you arrive in sight of the Telarion, your spaceship for the months to come. It looks like a dull freighter type of vessel, but fortunately there is more to it than meets the eye…

telarion01.jpg

The Telarion Design Specs:
It originally was a commercial spaceship, but was refitted into a discreet warship that could be used for covert commando operations. As such, its specs are not standard.

Type: Light
Subtype: Corvette
Defense: 9 (Flat footed: 7; Autopilot: 7)
Hardness: 30
Hit-Dice: 50d20 (1,000 hp)
Initiative Modifier: +4
Pilot's Class Bonus: +4
Pilot's Dex Modifier: +3
Gunner's Attack Bonus: +3
Size: Colossal (–8 size)
Tactical Speed: 3,000 ft. (6 sq.)
Length: 470 feet (150 meters)
Weight: 4000 tons.
Targeting System Bonus: +3
Crew: 12 (trained +4)
Passenger Capacity: 8
Cargo Capacity: 160 tons.
Grapple Modifier: +16
Base Purchase DC: 58
Restriction: Military (+3)

Attack: 2 fire-linked heavy neutron guns –1 ranged (15d8); 2 nuclear missiles –6 ranged (248 / 19-20); and 2 fire-linked CHE missiles –3 ranged (9d12 / 19-20).
Attack of opportunity: Point-defense system +3 ranged (2d12 x10).
Engines: Helium3 fusion torch, thrusters.
Armor: Vanadium.
Defense Systems: Autopilot system, improved damage control (3d10), magnetic field, point defense system, radiation shielding.
Sensors: Class III sensor array, targeting system.
Communications: Laser transceiver, radio transceiver.
Weapons: 2 fire-linked heavy neutron guns (range incr. 6,000 ft.), 2 fire linked nuclear missile launchers (4 missiles each), 2 fire linked CHE missile launchers (8 missiles each).
Grappling Systems: Grapplers.

telarion02.gif

The spaceship has a variable-geometry central part. When the spaceship accelerates or decelerates, this part is in a position so thrusters are "below" the crew, providing an artificial gravity in the vessel*. When the spaceship doesn't accelerate, this central part rotates, and thus creates an artificial gravity due to centrifugal forces. This artificial gravity is 1G at the extremities (less near the center where are the cabins, flight deck, lab, etc.). This central part, of approximately 135 feet long (40 meters), holds the most important components: life accommodations, bays (in which are the shuttle, probes, and starfighter), but also the spaceship's weapons and defense systems.

Basically, the spaceship is organized as follows:
1 - Magnetic deflectors (push aside junk, micro meteors, and other space borne projectiles) and other machinery, plus lifeboat.
2 - Radio and laser long distance transceiver.
3 - Space workshop hangar.
4 - Life accommodations, cabins, labs, flight deck, etc. (divided into two main decks).
5 - The four dock bays. One contains the starfighter, another the shuttle, another three space probes plus empty space, and the last is currently empty.
6 - Weaponry (cannons and missile launchers) and defense systems.
7 - Machinery , engines.
8 - Fusion torches, thrusters.

(* Note: Maximum acceleration for this spaceship is 5G. Note however, that even if it is designed to resist such acceleration for long periods of time, human aren't. Where humans are concerned, acceleration should remain under 3G for extended periods of acceleration. For very long such periods, it's better to be not too higher than 1G, which provides an ideal gravity.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OOC: Sorry, but I am at a loss with coherent technical descriptions and vocabulary, even if of pure fiction. If some of you would like to help me stuff this spaceship, that would be nice (by email or on the OOC thread in Talking the Talk forum). Later, the deckplans to come. Thanks.]

Last edited:

Liam Forbes

First Post
Well then I'll just request one each of the sensor gauntlets.

To the Major: Yes Sir!

To Jay: Well as those are both my current orders and my own personal inclination. That sounds like a good idea. :)

Kecia Tavernier

First Post
OOC: Would have replied sooner, but today has been a hell of a day.

"Just part of the in-house military myself, Zero-G Tactical Response Unit. I'm Brendan Radley," he extends a hand to shake as he formally introduces himself.

"A pleasure to be working with you, Corporal," said Kecia, shaking Brendan's hand. She had a firm grip, though that was the sort of thing to expect from a person who could bench press over eight hundred pounds.

Turanil

First Post
Liam Forbes said:
Well then I'll just request one each of the sensor gauntlets.

Liam, you are granted the following gauntlets: sensor electricomp, and sensor mechanicomp.

Sensor armacomp and sensor democomp could be seen obvious due to the circumstances of the mission. However, instead, the crew has been given a small detection device that gives a +10 bonus to Spot/Search the stolen antimatter bombs.

Turanil

First Post
And so, you all get acquainted with the Telarion, walking around to familiarize yourself, and inspect if everything is okay. There is indeed a small laboratory, as well as a medical bay with the latest equipment and enough pharmaceutical supplies [every medical serum listed in the d20 Future equipment list is there]. After a few minutes of exploration, everyone begins what he is supposed to do. It quickly appears that the ship is well prepared, thus all should run smoothly. Then, HAR-Vee finishes processing the data regarding the dead crews of the lost spaceships, and doesn't find anything significant. Meanwhile, Vincent begins reading about the residents onboard Ashira_29.

ashira2.jpg

Photo of the Ashira_29 station taken one year ago.

Ashira_29 is an ancient station built in 2020. It has been refurbished and sold several times since then. The proprietor Mr. Ashdool, is a somewhat shifty businessman currently residing on Mars (he can nonetheless be contacted through telepresence, although due to the distance between Earth and Mars, there is a delay of several minutes between messages). The station (a wheel providing spin gravity) has been divided into 16 quarters that are rented to whomever wants them. The 13 current tenants have been thoroughly examined, and 9 are definitely unrelated to the disappearance of the antimatter bombs (with a 99.83% certitude). The 4 others seem to be also unrelated, but nonetheless look slightly dubious. The infomorph agents were unfortunately discovered and erased by three idiots before they could spy inside the station. Having such a level of electronic defense for a second rate place like this, is a bit strange however. It probably means that some of the activities performed here may be of an illegal nature. In any case, the 4 suspicious tenants are:

1) Talens Industries: The headquarter of a mosaic of small companies scattered in several third-world countries, many of which are ruled by oppressive dictatorial regimes. Talens Industries is involved mainly in nanotechnology used to spy on, control, and monitor people; it has associations with various dictators, including Grand General Fudambassa, a power hungry tyrant suspected to fund some terrorist groups.

2) Shabu-Avindranath Corp.: A cloning company. They clone dead persons to bring them back to life, uploading a copy of their personality when possible, and allegedly bringing back the soul as well (through an "original technology that is kept secret"). However, there have been (in India) several judicial affairs concerning the legal rights of those clones, especially when they appeared to be puppets used to take over the wealth and position of the person they were supposed to replace.

3) Shemezgan & Balmers: The two are dubious entrepreneurs who promise (for a hefty price) to provide anything their customers might request, and to do it in secrecy. Shemezgan is a logistics expert, while Balmers is a lawyer. The former knows many people and has access to a large network of informants and intermediaries; his part consists in getting and delivering what was requested. The latter sees to the legal aspect of the transaction, and how to turn around the law to make it become licit. They do have a spaceship who has been known to travel to Mercury (where antimatter is produced...), Mars, and Jupiter.

4) The Church of the Scientific Revelation: Apparently this is the "spatial temple" of a small cult. Their credo is to have bent the biblical revelations to pseudo-scientific explanations: angels and demons are aliens, Heaven exists in another stellar system, etc. The most faithful do pilgrimages to the small temple located in Ashira_29, while the saints are expected to partake in deep space pilgrimages. In this case the "saints" are followers who have got some revelation from these alien-angels.

Last edited:

Caine Freerover

First Post
Interesting. None of these four appear to have the resources to pull off the hijacking, although all are suspicious. I can certainly imagine that Shemezgan and Balmers were involved in equipping the hijackers, however.

I don't think we'll get far posing as investors, since the four companies of interest don't have much connection to advanced technologies. It's probably better to open up communications with Mr. Ashdool and inquire about renting a segment. That will let us get on board for an inspection. I would also give us an excuse to initiate conversations with other employees about the quality security measures on the station.

Once we're on board, I will continue my research for scientists in the field of plasma physics that have published novel ideas on plasma containment, particularly those who have since dropped out of the public sector. I will invite Dr. Hart to help me if he is interested. If we don't get anywhere by searching the public literature, he can make professional contact with one of the more prominent plasma physicists and ask him if he knows of anyone who might have an interest in that kind of research.

--Caine

Last edited:

HAR-Vee

First Post
I believe attempting to rent space is an excellent idea. We can be obtuse about what we are researching, but perhaps leak that we are testing theories to create anti-matter away from Mercury. That may draw in some interesting parties.

It occurs to me that we may require layers of cover stories. The corporation is shady on the surface already. We can play on that to make it appear we are an illicit group ourselves. If the Telarion weapon systems are discovered, acting as an "arms dealer" could explain it without tying us to SIA. Even going so far as to get in to limited legal tangles (or the appearance of them).

We could appear to be a company capable of providing a service to the takers... Who ever took the bombs has a plan for them. They will have to be transported within striking range to be used. Where will this transport come from (maybe the Telarion)? Arming the bombs will require overcoming the best security the government could put on them. Who will have enough knowlegde to overcome this controls (us)? If the bombs are being dismantled for another purpose or for materials, then again someone will be needed with intimate knowledge of their construction.

All of this brings up an interesting point. While this could have been plotted externally... The plot to steal these bombs required a great deal of internal knowledge. Someone inside is responsible. We should watch for them. It may be possible that many more insiders will be required.

We should add researching all known governmental staff that have enough knowledge to be useful to who ever stole the bombs. They may be targets for kidnapping or already working for them.

Kecia Tavernier

First Post
"Bodyguard or mercenary would be an ideal cover for me," stated Kecia. "And if I had some technical assistance, I could probably break into some of these places and take a look around without being caught. I'm like a ghost when I don't want to be seen."

Conrad Hart

First Post
Caine, I would be more than willing to lend any assistance I can into the matter of plasma containment. My specialization is chemistry, but I try to keep up on most scientific developments. Knowing how the ship's crew died and the true capabilities of those who commited this crime could help us close in on the thieves. However, I am still not convinced this is truly the result of bleeding edge plasma technology. Talens Industries is known for surveillance nanotech. Perhaps nanotech of a similar kind was used to decieve the recording devices or alter the transmission in some manner. The question of how the ship was disabled still exists, but we should definately explore this possiblity.

Liam Forbes

First Post
Kecia Tavernier said:
"Bodyguard or mercenary would be an ideal cover for me," stated Kecia. "And if I had some technical assistance, I could probably break into some of these places and take a look around without being caught. I'm like a ghost when I don't want to be seen."

"Well if I wasn't otherwise occupied. I would be pleased to accompany you. Perhaps one of these other gentlemen can help."

Remove ads