• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Guide to Horrible Injuries

Maldur

First Post
Im a bit busy so I wont be able to help but here is a tip:

Find someone who is a paramedic or army medic and try to borrow his "advanced trauma and lifesupport" course book. Its a bit gruesome but it tells exactly what wounds do, including shock etc. Maybe medical students can get their hands on the book as well (or a good library)

Another good book is a serbian publication called : battlefield amputations ( but its very hard to find)

Good luck.

Sammael99

First Post
Crothian said:
You may aslso want to creats some new rules for how magical healing works. It's all fun and games till someone losses and eye and then the cleric makes him better then new with a spell. I think injuries are more feared when it doesn't seem like there is an easy way of getting cured.

I have houserules to cover this IMC.

Basically, when a critical hit does more than 10 damage, it causes grievious wounds. depending on the amount of damage, the grievious woulds can be light, serious or severe. Light would be a big scar on the face, serious would be a crippled leg, severe would be an severed hand, for example.

Although the hp loss of a grievious wound can be cured with regular healing spell, the effect of the wound itself (scar affecting appearance, crippled leg means less move and dex lowered in combat, severed hand means... well, only one hand left !) can only be healed using Restoration spells. Lesser heals light, standard heals serious and Greater heals severe.

I've kept in simple as I don't want something excessively detailed. The d20 system is not realistic per se, so excessive detail can't add to realism either. I just added that in order for the simple notion of war-wounds to mean something.

schporto

First Post
You want to look up ICD9s. There's an exaple here . Its a full list of medical diagnosis. I'm sure somewhere there's a database that you could download and make pdf's of.
-cpd

GBDeluxe

First Post
Name change....

I would hereby like to change the name of the product from:

"D20 Guide to Horrible Injuries"

to

"Battlefield Advanced Trauma Life Support Manual"

(if thats legal? Thats like the army manual. I dont know if the title is protected.)

GBDeluxe

Remove ads