• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Karma Kard bonuses

fissionessence

First Post
d20 Karma Kards: d20 Karma Kards - aethereal FORGE | EN World PDF Store

Basically they are bingo sheets with numbers 1-20 randomly assigned. Whenever you roll that number, you can mark off one spot on your sheet with that number. When you get 'bingo', you get some reward.

My girlfriend likes bingo (she makes me play every Tuesday, but I've won $50+ in the past few weeks, so I guess it's okay), so I figured I'd try to think of a way to incorporate these cards into our game.

I'd like something more interesting than an extra action point or something, but I can't figure out what the 'karma' reward should be.

My favorite idea is to come up with a list of one-shot powers or abilities. Whenever a player completed a card, they would get that ability to use once before a certain duration passed. I would have a preset ordered list of abilities, and they'd get crossed off as they were awarded.

The problem is I think something like that would need in-game justification, and cooler powers (IMO) would require more of an explanation. I was also thinking this karma kard thing would be an effect of some magic item, which would help justify the gained abilities (the power comes from the item), but what kind of item would work for that concept?

~

malraux

First Post
If this is for 4e, an immediate action point would be cool (though you might have to remove regular ones), gaining of crit dice (ie if you hit your attack applies the extra critical dice), spending a healing surge, or regaining the use of an encounter power would all be pretty cool.
My favorite idea is to come up with a list of one-shot powers or abilities. Whenever a player completed a card, they would get that ability to use once before a certain duration passed. I would have a preset ordered list of abilities, and they'd get crossed off as they were awarded.
If were to go this way, I might tie the ability to the power source of the character. Divine characters could grant everyone a saving throw, martial characters get an extra attack, etc.

Asmor

First Post
Hope you don't mind, but this has got me thinking... It's a fantastic idea. Here's how I'd do it.

First, ditch the square grid. Each person gets a hexagonal grid-- a radius of 2 hexes around a central hex, for a total of 19 hexes which is 5 hexes wide in each of the six major axes.

Now the idea I'm going for is that the karma board is a way of taking some of the sting out from rolling poorly. To that end, the numbers will be on the lower range, and the "more important" spaces will be even lower.

Each grid starts blank. For the center, roll a d4. For each of the 6 hexes adjacent to center, roll a d8. For the remaining 12 hexes forming the perimeter, roll d12s. Alternatively, to save setup time, put a 1 in the center, the numbers 1 through 6 in the hexes adjacent to the center, and the numbers 1-12 in the hexes on the perimeter. Order the numbers however you see fit.

Only your very first attack roll or skill check each turn during combat, skill challenges, or any other time the DM deems appropriate counts. So if you've got an area attack, for example, only the first attack roll counts.

If the roll matches a number you've got empty on the grid, you may place a chip on ONE of those matching spaces, your choice as to position. If it does not match any number, or it dos match but all spaces of that number are filled, you don't get to place a chip.

Patterns

There are several patterns which may be removed from the grid for various effects. Unless otherwise noted, you may remove multiple patterns at once and the effects do stack. Also, all bonuses to attacks and skill checks can be used after you make the appropriate roll.

Tiny line (3 hexes in a row on the outside): Gain +1d6 damage per tier on an attack or a +2 bonus on a skill check. May be used after you hit or roll the skill check.

Small line (4 hexes in a row NOT going through center): Gain a +1 bonus to attack, or a +3 bonus on a skill check, or make a saving throw against any effect a save could end. May be used after your attack roll or skill check.

Big line (5 hexes in a row through center): You may spend a healing surge, or a +2 bonus on an attack roll, or a +4 bonus on a skill check. May be used after your attack roll or skill check.

Triangle (3 hexes oriented in a triangle): Gain a minor action, or a +1 bonus on a skill check.

Small circle (6 hexes forming a ring-- note that the hex in the middle of the ring doesn't need to be marked and is not removed): Gain a move action, or turn a normal hit into a critical hit, or reroll a skill check with a +2 bonus.

Great circle (12 hexes along the perimeter): Gain an action point, or gain hitpoints as if you'd spent an action surge, or reroll a skill check with a +6 bonus.

fissionessence

First Post
I really like this idea, especially the part about using a lot of low numbers on the sheet to compensate for low rolls.

Unfortunately, we're using a slightly altered action point thing already, and my players have trouble keeping track of that, so I think your system is a bit too complicated with the various patterns.

I'm thinking of creating a power for each PC, suited to him or her, and having a full karma kard recharge that power. When they use it, they get a new kard to begin recharging again. This will be related to small amulets that each player gets.

~

Remove ads