d20 Lankhmar (for anyone who's interested): A Work in Progress

harmyn

First Post
Races of Nehwon - Quarmallians

QUARMALLIANS

Along the southwestern coast of the Lankhmar continent sit the towers and walls of Quarmall. Within these impressive, though crumbling, fortifications can be found the topmost layer of an ever-expanding underground empire ruled over by a race of long-lived, pale skinned men whose gaunt images can haunt even the most stalwart heart. At one time these men ruled a great empire above the ground, their influence could be felt in the lands of the east, their spies sailed the Sea of Monsters, but just as time slips away from man's grasp, so did the empire once claimed by Quarmall. Quarmallians are a proud race that lives with a veneer of high culture and civility, though wholly supported by raids and generations of slave labor. This is the paradox that defines their existence, and their core being.

Personality: Those born into any class of Quarmall save the lowliest of slaves are stubbornly aloof. Even common eunuchs and serving girls can bare a distinct pride in their lands along with the sense of natural authority they feel when looking at the other races of man. All who survive to adulthood in the labyrinth that forms this kingdom develop a certain amount of callousness, having been witness to far more cruelty than an outworlder would have thought possible in a lifetime. This leaves those walking the shadowed corridors of Quarmall with a distinct look in their eyes, either a cold aloofness or a near perpetual state of shock mixed with mild fear. The humors and melancholies of these folk are far deeper and darker than the outer world's and seldom forgotten quickly by those foreigners who see them.

Physical Description: The men and women of Quarmall come in all heights from those so short they should be dwarves to men whose height would tower over most of the other races of the world. However they are almost uniformly thin and sickly looking. There are exceptions to this rule of course, the eunuchs who serve the discreet needs and harems of their lords are far more portly than most, and a few nobles eat to gross excess, but by and large these are a light, slender people. Their skin is pale, almost chalky in appearance, having been deprived of the special nourishment that only the sun can provide. Most would consider the Quarmallians gaunt, however hollow might be equally appropriate; their skin seeming to more float around the bones within their bodies than simply to hang on their frames.

Hair color ranges from pale white to deepest black with all manner of colors in between; including such shades as green and purple, having been influenced by the alien world they choose to live in. Skin is always pale and easily burnt if overly exposed to the sunlight of the outer world.

Relations: To the typical Quarmallian, most other races make up a common pool from which to gather slaves. Those few who have chosen or been forced to live among the other races will accept the others as freemen, but seldom if ever as true equals. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but only a few. First are the easterners, people from those exotic distant lands are generally accepted, if only because of some ancient dealings with them whose memories are now lost to time. The other would be ghouls, while the Quarmallians have no love for the semi-transparent race, they have no desire to try and make the cannibals their slaves.

Language: The Empire of Quarmall may have one of the oldest languages still spoken. It is highly evolved with many grammatical rules and exceptions that a scholar could well go insane before fully mastering it. It is a fortunate thing that many, if not all the inhabitants of the shadowed realm have also mastered Lankhmarese. When in front of strangers it is unusual for the natives of Quarmall to speak solely in their own language for they have a distinct distaste for appearing to have ulterior motives, whether or not they really do.

Names: The names used in Quarmall society sounds melodic and thought provoking, if you actually had a great appreciation for and deep understanding of their language. To the rest of the world at large they sound abrupt and throaty in pronunciation. Names are typically two to three syllables long. This way they are not overly brief nor too presumptuous, which is the way they feel all civilized and proper names should be. Surnames are rare in this under kingdom and are typically the name of the father, or vary rarely, the founder of the family line. A typical reciting would be "Igwarl, son of Quarmal, son of Jehknor, descended from and heir to the right and proper lineage of the emperors of Quarmall."

Male Names: Brilla, Flindach, Gwaay, Igwarl, Hasjarl, Klevis, Quarmal
Female Names: Friska, Ivivis, Kewissa, Terelis, Veclirrah

Adventurers: Few adventurers call this forsaken land their home. The rare times it does is from some poor noble being exiled into the barbarian lands or a soldier/spy serving on the wrong end of a failed plot who was near enough the fortress to make a break for it when all fell apart. It is thought that no slaves ever escape from Quarmall, the land being better at taking people than releasing them, but a few have managed to pull it off. These now free men seldom if ever claim to have been a slave here; it's just not worth the risk to look that mysterious.

Quarmallian Racial Traits

+2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution. This is a highly learned and structured culture, the rulers of Quarmall have literally bred a smarter race by watching and trying to structure the procreation of their people. On the other hand, this dark buried kingdom has few influences from the outside world and a genuine lack of proper nutrition. Because of this the people tend to be sicklier than those from beyond its borders.

Low-light Vision. The dim tunnels that serve as their home have made their eyes adapt, as a result quarmallians can see twice as far as other races when looking by torchlight, moonlight, or other means in dark and near dark conditions.

Extended Lifespan. Most if not all pure-blood quarmallians live far longer than the normal human. They are not considered middle-aged until 50, old age doesn't officially set in until they are 80, and a venerable quarmallian (like the emperor Quarmal) is easily 140.

Bad Reputation. Because of the raiding and slave taking culture that helps Quarmall survive, Other races react negatively towards them, giving them a -2 reaction penalty to diplomacy checks, but a +2 to intimidate checks.

Bonus Feat: Skill Focus (any one knowledge skill). All natives of Quarmall have at least secret access to a variety of tomes and scrolls. Knowledge skill is a class skill for all Quarmallians regardless of class.

Because of the highly civilized nature of their culture there are no barbarians found among their people. In addition, white wizards are not known to live among them either so this class also generally isn’t available to these characters.

Favored Class: Black Wizard. These are a mystical people, and as such, much of their time is spent in study of the arcane arts.

harmyn

First Post
Should have posted this first.

I did some work on the sub-races of humanity for the world of Lankhmar. I've posted them up here so everyone can look them over and let me know what you think. Hopefully you all can find something useful in what I've done.

Turanil

First Post
Classes:
Instead of modifying the PHB classes, I'm going to use the 3 generic classes from UA: warrior, expert, & spellcaster. Warriors & experts will be used as is, while the spellcaster will be slightly modified.

I would personnaly suggest to use Grim Tales (see my review here). I got this book a few days ago, and I think it would fit perfectly for Lankhmar. Now, for people who don't want to yet buy another book, what you already wrote should be kept; but comparing Unearthed Arcana with Grim Tales, I think the latter will adress the same concerns better. For example, in Grim Tales anyone can cast spells but it's much dangerous (remember that Gray Mouser did cast a spell once, and only once); there is three sorts of spellcasters: those relying on intelligence cast arcane spells, those relying on wisdom cast divine spells, and wild mages (who rely on charisma) cast any sort of spells but these are always considered one level higher. It means that all mages function the same (same class, that of Smart hero with relevant talents; and all of them have spellbooks), but black mages will be those who use arcane spells, and white mages will be those who use divine spells, while other types of mages would fit within the wild mage type.

Otherwise, congratulations for the races, it's really an excellent work!

Last edited:

january_samurai

First Post
I have been working on a conversion of Lankhmar myself. Here are some of my ideas:

Black Wizard: As standard PHB Wizard but:
-Alignment: Any non-good
-At 5th level and every level above, a Black Wizard must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + current Black Wizard level) or gain one point of Taint (as described in Unearthed Arcana)
-At 5th level and every every level above, a Black Wizard must succeed a Will save (DC = 10 + current Taint points) or the wizard's alignment must shift one step towards Chaotic Evil.

White Wizard: As standard PHB Wizard but:
-Alignment: Any non-evil
-Adds Druid skills as class skills
-Uses Wisdom as spell casting ability score
-Uses the Druid and Cleric spell lists, not the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list
-Can not cast any Evil spell or Negative Energy spells

Elemental Mage: As variant sorcerer Witch in DMG pg. 175 but
-Adds Knowledge (Nature) and Use Magic Device as class skills
-Gains one Elemental Domain (as the Domain Wizard in Unearthed Arcana): Ice, Fire, Earth, Sea, or Air. An Elemental Mage can only access these domain spells if a significant amount of the Mage's choose element is present (up to DM).

As for other aspects of the game, I was leaning toward the Honor system rather than the Reputation system to replace Social Level. It seemed more to encorporate not just who knew you, but also what you are worth and and who you're related to. How are you thinking about handling the extended casting times in your campaign?

Last edited:

january_samurai

First Post
I would make male Northerners' favored class Barbarian, and female Northerners' favored class Ice Witch (Wizard, Mage, whatever).

I am impressed with the work you've done harmyn.

Last edited:

harmyn

First Post
Glad you like what I've done. I just hope that someone can get some enjoyment out of my work.

I'm also playing around with some variant casting classes to better try out the Black and White Wizards, some regional feats, and a few other odd bits. My current campaign is a homebrew though and so between work and it Lankhmar is slow going. Love everyone's ideas. Keep'em coming.

Turanil

First Post
harmyn said:
Glad you like what I've done. I just hope that someone can get some enjoyment out of my work.

Harmyn, I intend to use some of your races for my homebrew campaign in fact. I will put them on a small booklet for the players to read, and just wanted to acknowledge somewhere who created them (not that anyone will ever bother about it, but...). Is there a name other than "harmyn" to put, or I just tell "found on enworld"? Thanks.

harmyn

First Post
Turanil said:
Harmyn, I intend to use some of your races for my homebrew campaign in fact. I will put them on a small booklet for the players to read, and just wanted to acknowledge somewhere who created them (not that anyone will ever bother about it, but...). Is there a name other than "harmyn" to put, or I just tell "found on enworld"? Thanks.

Thank you for the acknowledgement and I hope your friends enjoy them. My actual name is Phil Morris Jr. Harmyn on all the fun little boards and chat areas (he was my first great vampire villain and so I still respect him to this day).

And thank you for the acknowledgement. Enjoy them and please feel free to let me know what your players think of them.

Treebore

First Post
Can any of you find what the "official" population of the City is? Plus which resource it is in? I know the City has a standing army of 15,000, but I couldn't find the population total. Rigth now I am working with a guess of 100 to 150,000.

Thanks.

Remove ads