• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern: Over the Edge

Mickerus

First Post
It's a warm spring evening on Al Amarj. It's Friday, and as the sun sets many people are already well into their relaxation for the weekend; some parts of the city are even more alive than usual. In the Plaza of Flowers, the sidewalks are jam-packed with street vendors, performance artists, prostitutes, and revelers. The Broken Wings barrio is also becoming crowded as the suits prepare to relieve the stress they've built over the past week. In Sunken Barrio, tourists wander about, making their way to and from the various attractions.

Shaun O'Tool has spent most of his week cooped up in the Cesar's Hotel, mainly watching satellite tv in his room, spending time at the pool on the rooftop, or hanging out in the very mild night club. It's been relaxing, but overall, very boring. As he sits on the terrace overlooking Sunken Plaza going back and forth, he begins to think that it might be tougher to keep a low profile than he thought...

Dr. Luccia Malinari arrived at the D'Aubaiine International Airport early in the afternoon, and went through customs without a hassle; it almost seemed like they were expecting her as they gave her passport a cursory glance and welcomed her to the island. Though the Terminal seemed very imposing indeed, she met up with a guide sent by D'Aubainne University who got her out of the airport and to the room that had been reserved for her at Cesar's Hotel. She also received a note saying "Meeting at DAU Monday afternoon, we'll call and send somebody to pick you up. Looking forward to meeting you. In the meantime, try and enjoy the weekend. -L.M."

Richard Davis walked the floor at Sad Mary's Bar and Girl, keeping an eye out for trouble. Though tonight would be featuring prize fights, he was serving as a bouncer for the night. For now there hasn't been any trouble; the fights are supposed to start in about an hour, and in the meantime loud music is blaring through the speakers as customers drink and celebrate. Several members of the Aries gang keep an eye on things as well, though they seem to focus on a pair of lucies* near the stage. He could almost feel the tension...

"Lucky" O'Rourke has been in the city for only a day; as he walks around the Sunken Plaza, looking with a casual disinterest at the booths and carts erected by various street vendors, he's surprised by the apparent free spirit of the place. An attractive woman of apparently Indian descent approaches him, handing him some sort of brochure and smiling all the while.

"Hello there! I bet you're new to Al Amarj! Please, take one of these pamphlets, you'll find everything you need to know in there! Enjoy yourself!"

As he looks at the brochure, he first notices plenty of advertisements for such businesses as Cesar's Hotel, Sad Mary's Bar & Girl, Total Taxi, and Gun Metal, and also sees that it's a guide for newcomers to the Edge. Though the entire thing is downright odd, a few parts of it seem particularly interesting:

Protect Yourself

Our friends from the United States will be relieved to learn that the far-sighted government of Al Amarja has banned firearms from the island, so your chances of getting mowed down by a wired crackhead or disgruntled postal worker are slim. In addition, killing tourists is highly discouraged by the Peace Force. A few simple rules will help you protect what is at risk: your health, wealth, and dignity.

Travel in groups. A lone foreigner presents a tempting target to those few malcontents on Al Amarja who refuse to do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. If you don't know native Al Amarjans and you are on your own, perhaps you can find other foreigners who would appreciate your company.
Arm yourself. A good weapons shop, such as Gun Metal, can provide you with the protective devices you need to keep yourself safe.
Good lodgings. A good hotel in a quiet area can reduce the risk of crime. Cesar's Hotel has an excellent reputation as a secure hotel in a safe neighborhood.
Easy on the chemicals. It would be criminal to condone their use, and hypocritical to condemn it. Just take it easy.
Respect authorities. The Peace Force is there to protect you (especially if you are a wealthy tourist), but they are not in the habit of taking guff. Fascist agitators have been known to attempt infiltration of our democracy by posting as tourists, so your status as visitor does not exempt you from suspicion. Other authorities to respect include just about any other armed and organized group, including the Golden Knights, Dunkelburg's Security officers, the Aries Gang, the Dog-Faces, Otto's Men, Sigma Om, and the Glorious Lords (maybe, and only on their turf).

Getting Around

The best way to get from place to place in the Edge is Total Taxi, which provides not only quick, confidential transportation, but also valuable information and other goods and services, all at rates well below the value provided. For a prolonged stay, you may wish to rent a car.

Renting a scooter or moped may be more practical for people travelling alone. Jitneys are an excellent alternative to cabs for those who are less concerned with comfort and speed.

Keeping the Peace Force Happy

No guns. The Peace Force is serious about this one.
No fascism. Ditto.
Low Profile Her Exaltedness Monique D'Aubainne, Historic Liberator and Current Shepherdess of Al Amarja, wisely wishes to spare Al Amarja from the trampling suffered by other island paradises around the worl, so she frowns on reporters, film-makers, and photographers who threaten to bring attention to this land. Isn't it better to keep Al Amarja a beautiful refuge for a fortunate few, rather than an over-developed vacation spot for the masses?

(OOC: By the way, this brochure is also available in the lobby of Cesar's Hotel, so anybody staying there can easily have gotten a copy themselves.)

*"Lucy" is derogatory Al Amarjan slang for satanists. This particular pair belong to the Glorious Lords of Passion, a satanist street gang (and rivals of Aries) that make their home turf in Great Men Barrio.

Last edited:

Orochi

First Post
Luccia unpacks her few belongings and heads downstairs. Seeing as she has the weekend to kill, she walks aeound the lobby, hoping to find something that can provide a suggestion of at least an immediate activity. She quickly locates the brochure rack near the front desk and sits down in the lobby to read it.

The first thing that caught her eye was the warnings and suggestions. For any nation to suggest tourists carry weapons and that recreational chemical use was not strictly forbidden, in spite of what the law said, was almost a sin in today's world. "I suppose it is no surprise that I would be called to an academic consortium in such a libertine place..." she begins to muse, but the words die in her throat as the question she pondered on the plane began to circle her thoughts again.

How much does the university know about her..."special focus"? The letter she recieved was quite vague as to what sort of position she was being considered for, and she had been unable to find almost anything about the school other than it's name. And even that had been a struggle to find. She thought about Mano, secured inside of a heavy, padded briefcase, his power supply disconnected. Perhaps she should not have brough him with her here. Still, when she read the letter, she just had a feeling that they knew exactly what they were getting if they hired her.

She shakes her head briskly and stands, dismissing the thought and heading back up to her room. She flips the brochure open as she opens the door, and looks up the number of the first Taxi service it lists, the one from the suggestions. After all, she has the money, and she may be here for quite a while, so it would be good to know where things are, and the guide seemed to think highly of the service as an information provider. A few rings later, and someone picks up at Total Taxi.

"I'm new in the city, and I'd like a pickup at Cesar's Hotel. Unfortunately, Ido not have a destination in mind. Would my driver be able to make suggestions?

Last edited:

ErichDragon

First Post
~Protect Yourself? What kind of a place am I hiding out in anyway?~

~Caesar's huh. If it's anything like Vegas it will do.~

Lucky steps to the street curb and raises his hand. "Taxi!"

Jarval

Explorer
Shaun flicks channels on the TV he's wheeled out with him, scowling at the bland programing presented. Films are all trash, no football, no nothing, just soaps. Jesus, I'm going to go mad if I don't get out of here!

Rolling out of his chair, he picks up his jacket, checking the stunner and brass knuckles at in the pockets. Better take 'em. Never know, you could find some fun out there. He smiles to himself as he straps his knife to his forearm, pulling the jacket sleeve down over the weapon.

Locking his room door behind him, God only know why, I'm carrying everything I own, he makes his way over to the lift. He pauses to let a tall Italian woman out of the elevator, smiling as he hold the door open. Now that's just nice.... He presses the button for the ground floor, and steps out into the hotel lobby. Snagging one of the leaflets on the front desk, Shaun strolls out into the car park, flicking through his new reading material.

Sad Mary's? Sounds a hell of a lot livelier than the dump they've got here. He kicks his bike into life, and glancing at the helpfully provided map, pulls out into the street, heading for the club.

Mickerus

First Post
Sad Mary's Bar and Girl, Conveniently Located in the Plaza of Flowers...

At Luccia's call, the phone is promptly answered by a downright sexy voice. "Hello. Total Taxi, for your total taxi needs. How may we serve you? Uh huh... yes... Oh, absolutely, ma'am. Our drivers are very familiar with the city and will be more than willing and able to help you decide where to go. Cesar's hotel, you said, right? And who is this pickup for? Dr. Luccia Malinari? Ok, we just happen to have a cab in the area, he'll be there in just a few minutes. Thank you for calling on us!"

---

In front of Cesar's Hotel, a black sedan with tinted windows cruises up, stops, and idles; a small light on the roof is the only indication that this is a Total Taxi. After a moment, the driver's door opens, and a tan-skinned man dressed in a tuxedo steps out, looking every inch like a chauffer straight out of the movies.

"Taxi!"

The driver turns to look at Lucky, does a double-take, and begins to speak as a man streaks by on a motorcycle. After an annoyed glance, the driver speaks again.

"You're Dr. Malinari?"

---

Shaun makes his way through the city with little trouble; though the small map on the brochure isn't very detailed, it does have the main roads that take him straight out of Sunken Plaza, south through Science Barrio and Plaza, and west through Four Points and eventually into the Plaza of Flowers.

Most of Science Barrios was taken up by what looked to be a university and the various businesses and residences to support it; the scenery quickly changed through Four Points, as buildings became more and more run-down, and the street corners inhabited by the population typical of most large cities; homeless, zeroes, gangs, and lowlifes interspersed with the occasional "regular Joe" trying to make it home.

As he comes into the Plaza of Flowers, however, things are much different. All sorts of businesses circle the plaza, and the plaza itself is filled with people of all sorts; on one side, fire-breathing performance artists, on another, street vendors hawking beer, cigarettes, and "party favors". On the other side of the plaza sits one a large two-story stone building with a bright neon sign proclaiming it to be a "Bar and Girl", with a niche over the doorway inhabited by a statue of Mary weeping into her hands. Making a path through the plaza is difficult even on a bike, with people crossing back and forth constantly.

As Shaun parks his bike in one of the few available places a large fellow wearing jeans, steel-toed boots, and a leather jacket approaches. He has blonde hair and a beard, and if he were running at you with an axe you'd swear he was a viking. "Hey buddy, you want I can keep an eye on your bike for ya. Sure would be a shame if somebody made off with it, ya know? It'll set ya back a few bucks, but what kind of price can you really put on peace of mind?"

Orochi

First Post
As soon as she hangs up, Luccia does her minimal preperations for going out: running a brush through her hair, changing into a short sleeve blouse, and switching over to her regular glasses, tucking the sunglasses into her purse in case she needs them later. Like if where ever she ends up is particularly bright. She heads out into the hallway and towards the elevator. The doors open soon after she presses the button, and she steps in, alone this time as she rides down to the lobby and walks briskly outside, pausing to look around for her promised cab.

What she sees is...not what she was expecting. The car was not a surprise. After all, Italian cabs are often just regular cars with an indicator on the roof that they are in service. She is, however, surprised by what she assumes to be the driver.

"Such formal dress for such a pedestrian occupation."

She starts to walk forward, only to see someone apparently negotiating for her cab. She moves closer as a motorcycle zooms by, and the noise fades in time for her to hear the driver say "You're Dr. Malinari?"

Before the man can respond, Luccia, determined not to have to call for a second cab from the same company, makes her move. "I'm Dr. Malinari. I take it you're from Total Taxi?"

Jarval

Explorer
"Yeah, it sure would be a shame." Shaun raises an eyebrow at the guy offering to 'protect' his bike. "How many bucks we talking here?"

Shaun takes his chewing gum out of his mouth as he speaks, putting his hands into his jacket pockets as if to place the gum back in its wrapper. Which he does, right after closing his free hand around the handle of his stun gun...

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Richard walks confidently around the place, devoting a giving both the Aries gang members and the lucies a Look. I know I'm tough. And you know I'm tough. And more importantly, you know there are a half-dozen more guys as tough as I am ready to take care of things if there's any trouble. Speaking of which, Richard casts an idle glance around for any of his coworkers. He's not worried, but it's good to know where your buddies are when... ahem, if a fight breaks out. It's been a more mundane than normal week at the office, and Richard is sorry that he's not stepping in to the ring tonight. He wants to do something dangerous, which on the job -either job- is a strict no-no.

Last edited:

ErichDragon

First Post
Lucky, momentarily caught off-guard, flashes his friendly-and-trustworthy smile.

"As I was just saying. I'm not Doctor Malinari, but I am looking for a taxi. If the lady doesn't mind sharing a fare that is..."

Turning to the real Dr. Malinari, "My name is Brendan, everyone calls me Lucky. So...what's your specialty Doctor?"

~To hell with a hotel room. If I play my cards right I might just live up to my name tonight.~

Orochi

First Post
Luccia looks over at the stranger asking to share her cab. She gives him a somewhat tentative smile, considering the warnings in the pamphlet in the lobby.

But what can he do in a cab? Besides, it's money saved...

After this moment's hesitation, she returns his greeting.

"Nice to meet you...Lucky. You can call me Luccia, and you're welcome to ride with me, though I'm not sure where I'm going yet."

Last edited:

Remove ads