• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern: Over the Edge

ErichDragon

First Post
"I teach whatever I can find work doing. I have degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering and pharmacology, with a few other things thrown in for good measure. I do what I have to in exchange for research funding and lab space."

"Engineering, fascinating."

~I have no idea what to say to a woman like this. Let's go for an old stand-by.~

"How about a drink after we take the academic tour?" Turning to the driver, Lucky asks, "Know any good watering holes in town?"

Orochi

First Post
She laughs a little at Lucky's last comment, responding before the driver can answer his question.

"I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea. This is just something I wanted to do on the way to somewhere hopefully more interesting. I just wanted to look at the place I will hopefully be working soon."

*insert driver's comments here, if any*

Luccia starts to turn back towards the window, but remembers that she still knows next to nothing about her new "friend", if he would turn out to be such. She looks back over at him, admitedly somewhat distracted as they near the science buildings.

"So what is it that you do for a living Lucky?

Jarval

Explorer
Shaun pulls his attention away from the diabolic figure, turning to the waitress. "Straight is good. Thanks." He smiles slightly, still a little disturbed by the staring Lucie. Brrr, I really don't like those creeps. At least you've got some clue of what an Aries might be thinking.

He shifts his gaze over to the brewing fight on the other side of the floor. I've been here all of... He glances at his watch. five minutes, and there's already a scrap going on. I think I might like it here.

Orochi

First Post
"You're a gambler then? Interesting. I've always considered gambling as more of a hobby than a profession, though it has provided some interesting chances to try and apply the Heisenburg Uncertainty principle..."

She trails off, recognizing her usual jump into esoteric theory as it starts.

Mickerus

First Post
Interjections by the driver:

"If you know where the science and engineering classes are held, I'd like to see that area."

"Well, I really don't know a lot about the university, but from what I've heard, most of those classes are held there in Briggs Hall. Don't hear too much about it though; as I understand it, access to the building is restricted."

"You're a gambler then? Interesting. I've always considered gambling as more of a hobby than a profession, though it has provided some interesting chances to try and apply the Heisenburg Uncertainty principle..."

"Well, now that we've seen the facilities, you two have any thoughts on someplace to go? I know a few different places to go, depending on your tastes. There's the Den of Thieve's back in Sunken, though I'll let you know right now it caters to burger*. Plenty of atmoshpere, but ultimately it's a pretty boring place. If you're looking for something a little more lively, there's Sad Mary's in Flowers; I think they're having prize fights tonight. Or, if you're looking for more of a club type thing, I've been hearing about this place called the House of Strauss..."

-----

Shaun is disappointed as the impending brawl is quickly suppressed by a really large fellow. (OOC: Insert description of Richard here.) He says something to the two drunks, and they meekly start to sit down. Just as he starts to look away, however, one of the two, either inspired with a sudden burst of insanity or too far out of it, makes a lunge at the other, trying to duck under the bouncer's arms.

Richard is surprised by the drunk's sudden tenacity, but still quick enough to clip him out of reflex. Because it's such a quick response, what was intended to be a swing around to grab hold of the guy ends up as a pretty rough clothesline, and he falls pretty far back, bumping into the greasier (let's call him "Greaseball" for ease of reference...) of the two Glorious Lords before falling to the floor.

Greaseball spills some of his beer into his lap and quickly stands. Though he was apparently thin, when he stands he turns out to be positively gangly. He licks his lips as he hunches over and raises a fist that glitters with a telltale metallic glint.

The entire place goes quiet for a moment. Two Aries rush over, ready to break some bones. Richard is already there, and Greaseball pauses, looking about with his eyes seeming to beg for somebody to make a move as he smiles.

The other Glorious Lord, who looks almost normal in comparison to Greaseball (he's got short bleach-blonde hair, and is dressed in the same black spiked leather as his companion) doesn't react to any of this. He remains seated with his feet propped up on a table as he puffs away at his cigarette.

*"Burger" is another bit of Al Amarjan slang; it denotes newcomers to the island, and is often derogatory, especially when used to describe clueless tourists.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"I think," says Richard, in his slow, deep voice, his eyes fixed on the weapon that the lucie hold in his hand, "that you want to put that down. And I think you want to leave." After a pause, if nothing happens, he adds a "Now." He's ready to lay into the thug if it looks like anything is going to happen, while interposing himself between the downed man and his would-be assailant.

ooc: Intimidate +2.

Jarval

Explorer
Shaun gets up from his seat and saunters over towards the disturbance, beer in hand. No point missing out, and I'd be helping the staff. He smiles to himself as he gets closer.

Gods, do they use that guy for cleaning out chip pans? And you have to love the gear they wear. Shaun rolls his eyes at the sight of the Aries dashing over. Not that the Neo-Vikings are much better...

Orochi

First Post
Luccia looks back towards the front as the driver finishes.

"Well, I know I have no interest in going anywhere boring, especially not on my first night here. And a night club, when all is said and done, is usually pretty dull as well. Sad Mary's sounds interesting enough. If that's okay with you Lucky?"

Remove ads