• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern: Over the Edge

Mickerus

First Post
Llllllllllet's get ready to...

After a brief search, Lucky and Luccia manage to find an open table and have a seat, and order drinks. For now all there is to do is watch the crowd and occasionally shout over the noise to each other.

Shaun and Richard are approached by a balding middle-aged man that looks to be in his forties (Richard recognises him as Frank Germaine, the owner and operator of Sad Mary's). As he walks up, he gives Richard a nod, then looks at Shaun and offers his hand.

"Hey there, kid. Name's Frank Germaine. I own this place. Listen, I can use a guy like you. In fact, I think I have a job you'd be great at. Look, why don't we-" Frank interrupts himself to glance down at his watch, then continues. "Aww hell, it's about time to start the fights. Tell you what, you watch the fights, enjoy yourself, then afterwards, come on upstairs to my office. I got a proposition for you, and trust me, the payoff is worth it. Richard, why don't you come up too? This'll earn you a little extra cash. Might be fun, too, alright? Well, boys, I've got to get things started."

Frank heads for the dressing rooms back behind the stage, and soon after, the lights over the floor start to dim. Several attendants come out, along with a medic wearing a white jacket embroidered with the logo of Ahmed's Kwik Klinik. Several people in the crowd start cheering, knowing that the fights are soon to start...

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Richard raises his eyebrows. "Whaddya know. You impressed the boss. Not bad." He turns to leave- he had to manage this crowd, after all. "See you later, it seems. Enjoy the show."

Orochi

First Post
Luccia seems distracted when Lucky first asked his question, looking around the bar and noting the sheer variety of people there. The primarily Aryan bouncers quietly slipping between the tattooed and pierced patrons and men in business suits. All gathering in this place.

Then, she notices Lucky moving away, heading for an open table. She orders her drink distractedly, not even sure what she ordered once the waitress had left. Then, she remembered Lucky's question.

"Boxing is a fascinating sport, in its way. I've worked with p..."

She pauses, a pause that in reality lasts less than a second, but feels much longer to her. A memory pops into her head as she nearly says "pieces". A picture of a heavily muscled arm, pale and stiff with rigor mortis, detached from it's parent torso, twitching as electrical current is applied. The image fades and Luccia finishes her response.

"...eople involved in boxing. They are generally quite resilient specimens."

Jarval

Explorer
Shaun shakes the balding man's hand firmly, and listens with interest. "I'll be there. After all, a little extra money can never hurt, right?"

He nods to Richard as the bouncer heads back into the crowds. "Yeah, see you later." He moves closer to the ring, trying to get the best view he can of the impending bout.

Good evening's entertainment, and a job to boot! I knew I'd like this place.

ErichDragon

First Post
"Boxing is a fascinating sport, in its way. I've worked with p......people involved in boxing. They are generally quite resilient specimens.""

"Uh. Right. Resilient."

Lucky looks at Luccia strangely for a brief moment, then quickly resumes his usual charm.

"Care to make a wager on the first fight?"

Mickerus

First Post
Within a few short moments Frank Germaine emerges from the back, picks up a mic, and takes the stage, which is now brightly lit.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as I'm sure you all know, tonight is fight night! For those of you new to Sad Mary's, let me tell you our rules. No weapons. No hitting an opponent who's down. And apart from that, the fight goes on until somebody can't get up!"

With that, some of the more enthusiastic members of the crowd start cheering. Frank holds a hand up to settle them, and continues.

"So let's get these fights started, shall we? Let me introduce you to our first combatants, Cyrus and Emembolu!"

After being announced, the two fighters take the ring. Cyrus isn't terribly impressive; he's short and has an athletic build, but doesn't look especially tough. It's had to see his face with the protective headgear he's wearing (it seems a bit too large for him). Emembolu is a tall Nigerian with a muscular build and tattoos covering both his right arm and leg. Unlike Cyrus, he wears no headgear, though interestingly enough, neither has gloves.

Before the match starts, it quickly looks like Emembolu is going be able to tear Cyrus apart, and most people are putting money on him.

Orochi

First Post
Luccia eyes the two combatants for only a second before turning back to Lucky.

"Why not. I'll take Cyrus, unless you have your heart set on him."

Jarval

Explorer
Shaun watches the fight with interest, both that of the audience and of a potential combatant. He tries to gauge the level of skill of each of the fighters, comparing their abilities with his own.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads