[d20 Past] What should be in Volume II?

JPL

Adventurer
So it looks like d20 Past will give detailed coverage to three specific eras [including adventures and new classes]: the Age of Exploration [17th century, give or take], the Wild West [apparently with some supernatural elements and Victorian mysticism], and the Pulp Era [usually the 1930s and thereabouts].

So let's say WotC does a Volume 2, and there are three more campaign settings. I think it's safe to assume that WotC will want fantastic elements in each setting [not saying that's good or bad, just an observation] --- magic or aliens or superscience.

So with that in mind --- what else needs to be covered? What other eras are really gameable?

Yuan-Ti

First Post
As some have mentioned... WW2 needs coverage. Space 1889 needs to be redone. Napoleonic probably has limited appeal but would be fun for some. Then there are all the other historical eras, some of which have or are being done by others: Greek, Roman, Vikings, Crusades, Chivalry...

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Yuan-Ti said:
As some have mentioned... WW2 needs coverage. Space 1889 needs to be redone. Napoleonic probably has limited appeal but would be fun for some. Then there are all the other historical eras, some of which have or are being done by others: Greek, Roman, Vikings, Crusades, Chivalry...

Space 1889 is a GDW licensed product and I imagine WotC would stay away. You should ask Marcus Rowland to collaborate.

Other than WW2, none of the eras you mention are post-Reniassance, which is the official cutoff. I wouldn't hold my breath for any of these.

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Committed Hero said:
Space 1889 is a GDW licensed product and I imagine WotC would stay away. You should ask Marcus Rowland to collaborate.

Yeah, I know, but WotC could fudge it and do something like it, and the concept is one that would sell, especially if it were d20 and "official'.

Other than WW2, none of the eras you mention are post-Reniassance, which is the official cutoff. I wouldn't hold my breath for any of these.

By "official cutoff", do you mean for d20 Past? I understand *this* book was meant to be the last 500 years but are you saying Wizards has officially said they would never do anything more distantly historical than that?

JPL

Adventurer
Yuan-Ti said:
By "official cutoff", do you mean for d20 Past? I understand *this* book was meant to be the last 500 years but are you saying Wizards has officially said they would never do anything more distantly historical than that?

Although I'm not aware of any such statement, I would think that anything earlier would be perceived by WotC as better suited to the D&D rules.

DragonSword

First Post
I think that "past" will shape out much better for "more modern" historical gaming, than for time-periods before that. It very much sounds like it'll suit 17th - mid-20th century games, rather than before that.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The 1970s. Muscle Cars. Disco. Leisure Suits. Sideburns. More Disco. Aliens. Cop and PI Shows. Even more Disco.

Also, while I'm not sure it could be done well in a sub-part of a book, I would like to see an Arabian Nights themed bit. I realize this borders on D&D, but this woudl presumably be less high fantasy, more realer.

Last edited:

DeBracy

First Post
I'd want 16th century Europe - preferably without a twist really. But... well, merchants, assassins, alchemists, maybe a witch... That'd be nice. But... hmm... to be honest it feels more like a Fantasy Flight Games D&D book (their artwork is perfect for this stuff!) than d20 Past Part II after all... crap.

Remove ads