• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Prime Directive

BPIJonathan

Explorer
scourger said:
I'm getting more excited about the book.

Im pretty excited about the book myself. I have been going through some commentary from proofreaders and adjusting things. The goal is to make this a product worth something.

BPIJonathan

Explorer
scourger said:
Something that would be really cool for PD20 is a character sheet, either in the book or on a web site somewhere. Here's a link to one that has a lot of character:
<snip>
I find it really helps an rpg.

While I agree with you, I wont have anything to do with that in the end. I will have to get permission to assign character sheet creation to an outside third party.

scourger

Explorer
BPIJonathan said:
While I agree with you, I wont have anything to do with that in the end. I will have to get permission to assign character sheet creation to an outside third party.

I hope it will happen.

Ranger REG

Explorer
BPIJonathan said:
With all due respect, I don't think ADB have any experience making d20-based character sheets. Sure, they can say, "A character sheet is a character sheet, so how hard can it be?" To which I would reply, "Difficult? No. Different from your GURP-based sheets? Hell, yes."

And for that, I strongly recommend Patrick M. Murphy of Mad Irishman Production. All you need is to look at his previous works available online.

scourger

Explorer
Well, I got a good deal on GURPS Prime Directive (GPD) 3rd ed. at my favorite out-of-town game store. I couldn't resist, so I bought it to get a little preview of what Prime Directive d20 (PD20) might look like. I haven't read too much of it so far, but what I have read looks good.

First, it is apparent to me that the people at ADB have developed (and possibly inherited) a great history of game development of the Star Fleet Universe (SFU) through the Star Fleet Battles (SFB) game. GPD includes a page of publisher information that gives some of the history. I found it a very nice touch.

The look of the GPD book itself is great. I showed it to a friend who had only heard me talk of it. His response was, "This is Star Trek!" The cover is very evocative of the original series--a bonus or him if not completely for me. I do think it looks great. The interior layout is a very classic style of RPG books that I've been reading for the past 25 years, which I find appropriate since the same store had the new SFB Silver Anniversary rules on sale. The interior pages are white with black text in a good font and density. The illustrations are classic B&W, too.

The book opens with a short story. I find this a great touch. It recounts the tale of a group of characters as they assemble and go through the introductory adventure delineated in the last chapter. It was a fun read. Hopefully, the adventure plays as well.

I'm just getting into the rest of the book. Much of it is GURPS rules, so I'm skipping a lot of it. I'm really only reading the flavor text. I played GURPS a couple times in the past and more recently bought (and resold) the GURPS Hellboy book--I just don't get it enough to warrant reading a bunch of rules. So, GPD probably won't be the game for me, but it does make PD20 look even more promising. GPD has a short SFB chapter, so it might be worthwhile to get a little exposure to that game. I'm also looking forward to reading the chapter on SFU; it has a galaxy hex map.

Remove ads