Para Bellum Consulting Purchases James M. Ward’s Metamorphosis Alpha

One of the first ever sci-fi RPGs.

James M. Ward’s Metamorphosis Alpha.jpg

Metamorphosis Alpha was one of the first ever science fiction roleplaying games. It was published by TSR in 1976, and created by the late James Ward. Over the years it has had several editions, the last of which was 4th Edition in 2006.

Originally set on the Starship Warden, a generation ship, players can choose from humans, or mutant plants and creatures, with robots being added later.

Para Bellum Consulting has announced that they have acquired the Metamorphosis Alpha property, along with other of Ward's creations.

April 11, 2024 Elkhorn, Wisconsin
I, Christopher Clark, in my capacity as a representative of Para Bellum Consulting, along with the Ward Family announce that all rights to James M. Ward’s Metamorphosis Alpha, the core rulebook and all its derivative works, including The Starship Warden, Dark Outpost and Dark Visitor, along with James M. Ward’s Tower of the Scarlett Wizard, and James M. Ward’s Monte Haul Dungeon Series (including Monty Haul’s Lesser Tower of Doom and Monty Haul’s Heavenly Haul) were purchased by Para Bellum Consulting. The purchase transaction was completed by James M. Ward (“Jim”) himself prior to his death with a view toward keeping his legacy alive.

In the coming weeks, Christopher Clark and the Ward Family will be working together to identify the breadth of Jim’s footprint in the hobby gaming industry.

Para Bellum Consulting is in the planning stages for several Kickstarter projects of previously unpublished works by Jim and is also planning for the release of new editions of some previously published works. As planning proceeds, additional public releases will be provided.
Licensees of Metamorphosis Alpha products should feel free to contact Christopher Clark at FUZHero@aol.com to discuss the status of their licenses previously granted by Jim.

Questions regarding this public release can also be directed to this e-mail.

Para Bellum Consulting and the Ward Family look forward to their continuing cooperative relationship keeping the legacy of James M. Ward alive.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
Why would they do that? What if PA becomes the zeitgeist again next year or 5 or 10 years down the road? The idea makes no sense from a IP holder perspective.
Because I'm a big believer in open source anything. And I'd argue that everything in the SRD is IP and they released it to the CC.

But I'm not interested in debating the topic of open source IP. Simply stating my wish.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads