• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20m Intro Adventure at WOTC

Velenne

Explorer
Scanned through it. Doesn't seem to bad, but is seemingly designed for the Urban Arcana setting. I'm GM'ing an Agents of PSI campaign so it doesn't do me much good, although I suppose I could change some of the main characters around to make it more appropriate. This may warrant further investigation. :)

tetsujin28

First Post
The Second World adventure is very confusing if you have no previous knowledge of the setting; it is, however, a pretty good adventure, and is easily adaptable.

The WoTC one just seems like a Shadowrun ripoff, to me. Didn't like it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
2WS-Steve said:
We've put up a free 35 page or so adventure for d20 Modern. You can download it here:

Second World Simulations

I am going to be very harsh, and I just want to say in advance I mean no offense by it. I think you guys generally do good work.

This module is absolute crap for anyone who wants to just play d20 Modern.

That's because system used in the module ISN'T d20 Modern. Alignment? Craft (armorsmithing)(weaponsmithing)? Bards? Clerics? Wizards? Sorcerors? Spells at 1st level? New feats described, I assume, in your sourcebook? Stress points? Wounds? Seriously, it's like you wrote a D&D module, and then added the Massive damage rule (but only as an option, since you can also use wounds), the defense score, and a few "new" feats and skills (but treating all changes to the feats and skills in the d20 Modern book from the D&D PHB as if they didn't happen), and then slapped on a few of your own new rules.

This module is not playable, at all, without your sourcebook. In addition, it only pretends to play by the d20 Modern rules, kinda sorta. That makes it about as useful to a d20 Modern player as a Spycraft or Top Secret module - convertable if you want to go through the work, but otherwise just inspirational material.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mistwell, I know it's your opinion, but it's MY opinion that only two words in your post marred an otherwise concise review with some very appropriate questions.

But his questions do need an answer. I couldn't really find it useful for the purposes of playing an actual d20 Modern either, except purely as a source to lift some ideas from. Its rules used really don't follow d20 modern as the Adept and the Mage are d20 Mod's answer to spellcasters - understandable since 2WS has been around longer than d20 Mod, but it really can't be called d20 Modern in truth - from a setting standpoint, but not in the rules used to present said setting.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Point taken; I should have said it was an introductory scenario for the Second World setting but runnable with d20 Modern.

Some of the differences stem from the fact that players in this sort of game can either come from a fantasy background or from the modern background and that gamemasters might actually want to start with a regular looking fantasy campaign then reveal the modern world part-way through. To allow for all the different ways people might use the material the book and scenario includes classes from the PHB and d20 Modern plus rules for how to keep them fairly balanced against each other.

Also, since gamemasters will sometimes run modern day adventures and sometimes pull out a scenario from their battery of fantasy modules you need to at least have a method of dealing with things like alignment since some powers and spells rely on that. One method is to simply dump alignment and those spells, or you could include alignment everywhere, or you could have alignments on the fantasy side but not on the modern side; the last option helps paint the fantasy world as more black & white while the modern one feels more relativist.

I prefer the modern versions of skills too; they're more condense and many have better defined the abilities they give. Craft (mechanical) doesn't strike was as the skill for making armor though. The Second World Sourcebook adds Craft (smithing) as a combined blacksmith, weaponsmith, armorer skill but I left that out of the scenario because I didn't think it necessary.

I thought that most of the feats in the scenario were the ones that just boosted a skill or two and so their effects were already rolled into the characters. I'll post a page with any missing bits. I also figured that since the influence rules were already available as a free download that they didn't need to be included in the module too.

Ease of use and portability is really important to me; I tried to make it so gamemasters could run the module for a d20 modern game without having to write down any new information in the scenario. I take it that part didn't work?

Hopefully, those using a primarily fantasy game could simply ignore stuff like action points and MDT (if they want; they make excellent optional rules) and take the armor classes as given, not worrying about precisely how they came about. That's the way I run modern scenarios in my fantasy games or fantasy scenarios in my modern games. In some cases portability is easy, such as MDT and action points. In other cases portability requires work, such as allowing both PHB classes and d20 Modern classes in the same game; that's mainly because of the Defense bonus decision. There's a large section of the Second World Sourcebook devoted just to this issue and how to make different worlds or planes play out differently by changing the rules used by the different places.

The scenario should work best with an Urban Arcana style campaign where you actually wanted to allow transit back and forth between the modern world and the fantasy one. It'll work less well with an X-files or Shadowchasers style game.

Sorry about the shaky advertising and that you didn't like the module. I felt blending the core rules and d20 Modern material required some of the elements in the scenario. It's made even more tricky by the fact that people's opinions vary widely on subjects like non-lethal vs. subdual damage and wealth bonus vs. plain old cash. Even with spells I have to weather the dice-throwing of my players if I tell them that 8 hour long Bull's Strength doesn't exist anymore but now you get a flat +5 bonus for 8 minutes.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Just a quick follow up; the scenario has been updated to include the material needed to run it from the Second World Sourcebook. There's also a smaller update package that covers the new monster and special powers of some of the classes for those who don't want to download the whole thing again.

jonas889

First Post
This is just great. Why can't I find a good starter mod for Modern that has NO MAGIC and NO MONSTERS in it? I was really excited about D20 Modern cause I can play a modern day adventure story off the D20 system. Why does everybody have to bring it back to D&D? If I want magic and monsters I'll play the plethera of characters I have for D&D.

I ran that mod from WOTC for a player of mine as an intro to Modern. It was so LAME. Underground tunnels? Elves? Bugbears? The thing ran like any cheesy dungeun crawl but with guns. I felt embarrassed after running it. I'm a relatively new DM and all i've ever run is fantasy so I'm hard pressed for good ideas for an adventure in Modern. So I should ask:

Is this second world mod going to be a good MODERN adventure or should I not waste my time?

Remove ads