• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d6: pips or numbers?

Do you prefer pips (dots) or numbers on your d6?

• Pips

Votes: 108 58.1%
  • Numbers

Votes: 78 41.9%

sjmiller

Explorer
I am just wondering what people prefer on their d6. Do you prefer pips (aka dots) or numbers? I have a rather strong preference for one, but I will hold off a bit to see what others say.

ZombieButch

First Post
Numbers, simply for aesthetic reasons. All my other dice sizes are numbered rather than pipped, so you get a uniform appearance if the d6's are numbered as well.

DungeonMaester

First Post
sjmiller said:
Actually, yeah. Is that a game, an electronic dice roller, or something else? I swear, work makes me feel dumb.

Throwing Stones is a very obscure game that was only around for a year or so. Each side of the dice had 1 of three colors representing magic, mind or body and a pip for a type pf action. To do a action that requires a roll you roll all your stones (up to ten) and add all the realivent pips and colors.

The system could use some work, but what game doesn't? Not to mention it was the inspiration or one of my better home brewed systems which I lost due to a random format error.

---Rusty

Davelozzi

Explorer
palehorse said:
Numbers, simply for aesthetic reasons. All my other dice sizes are numbered rather than pipped, so you get a uniform appearance if the d6's are numbered as well.

I agree for the same reason, but if its an all d6 game I'm down with pips, or if the dice are otherwise separate from my dice pile (for example, we use a full set of numbered dice when we play D&D and other d20 games, but if we're adding action dice, we use mini-d6s with pips for them).

Xath

Moder-gator
I use pips when I want to roll high, and numbers when I want to roll closer to average. My pips tend to roll more 6s.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
I personally prefer numbers for the aesthetic symmetry with my other numbered dice, but once I'm rolling more than 5 or so I prefer pips because I find them slightly easier to total.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads