• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Art Preview

Klaus

First Post
Classic Villany said:
I agree on the Harpy.

As for the Wraith, I find it a little Meh. The background and "coming at you" pose is nice, but the overall appearance seems a little too Scooby-Doo crook dressed in a bedsheet to me. The 3.5 MM Wraith was much better IMHO for an evil ghost that will drain the life right out of you.
IMHO the wraith suffers because the 3.0 wraith that Mike Kaluta did had a wonderful use of negative space.

As for the harpy, I wasn't fond of the 3.x depiction either. I guess I prefer a more classical look.

lutecius

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
Don't fear - it's from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. Albeit the second succubus was shopped out.
Aaargh!!! It's her in the MM :eek: I don't mind the malebranche from Fiendish Codex II because it's a good pic, but they actually put the edited, enlarged half of a recycled, cartoony picture of a dressed succubus in the MM! It's the Succubus, fgs! :confused:

frankthedm said:
the harpy does not look goofy, just elven. First thing that came to mind was 'angry elf feminist'
Close enough. The text says they're descended from a cursed elf witch.

I prefer this concept to the 3e harpy, but the rendition is also too cartoony. Still better than Allsop's foulspawns and Disco Harbinger though.

Apparently harpies can be male now, so the mini with the pecs was actually a boy. And that explains why they're dressed too: you wouldn't want to see anything dangling when harpies fly over your head.

Last edited:

Klaus said:
As for the harpy, I wasn't fond of the 3.x depiction either. I guess I prefer a more classical look.

Yeah! why the heck did they dress them up?? I want nekkid succubi and harpies! Like those in YetAnotherFantasyGamerComic...

Although that may not be fair... that webcomic has nekkid everything

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Nothing about that Harpy appeals to me as a harpy. It looks like a winged elf. Aren't harpy's hideous, but lure you with their songs anyway? Not happy with that art at all.

DylanCB

First Post
Eh, that harpy is ugly, like they should be. I would kill it on site. Freaky fairy monster. Its all claws and lean muscle. Man, I'm glad it has clothes, ew.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
lutecius said:
Aaargh!!! It's her in the MM :eek:
I don't mind the malebranche from Fiendish Codex II because it's a good pic, but they've put the edited, enlarged half of a recycled, cartoony picture of a dressed succubus in the MM! It's the Succubus, fgs! :confused:
Wait, have you seen the MM? Are you trying to tell me they have done that for the MM!? If yes, then blergh.

Cheers, LT.

lutecius

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
Wait, have you seen the MM? Are you trying to tell me they have done that for the MM!? If yes, then blergh.
blergh indeed. the succubus, war devil, spined devil and vampires are all recycled.

Klaus

First Post
lutecius said:
blergh indeed. the succubus, war devil, spined devil and vampires are all recycled.
Plus Medusa (from the cover of Sinister Spire adventure or somesuch), some kobolds (from Races of the Dragon), Death Hag, Night Hag...

Andor

First Post
Klaus said:
Plus Medusa (from the cover of Sinister Spire adventure or somesuch), some kobolds (from Races of the Dragon), Death Hag, Night Hag...

Gee. Remember the good old days when WotC had the money to buy new art?

I guess now we are back to the good old days of TSR... Oh well, maybe they'll finally release the errata for the Shai'irs handbook.

And as for the Harpy... It's not a Harpy. It's got arms for crying out loud. It looks like a halfling got freaky with a turkey vulture.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads