• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damnation Decade: Designer Discussion Thread

Rob Toth

First Post
Hi there, folks--

My name is Rob Toth, and I'm the designer of Damnation Decade, a d20 Modern and True20 setting just released by Green Ronin. Taking a page from the designer of True20 Nevermore, I'd like to open a thread for anyone who has questions or comments about the game.

I'll start off with a quick summary of the game world. (You can read the complete introduction to the game in fabulous PDF form here.) Below that, I'll post links to the design diaries for the game, which appear on GR's site.

And then let 'er rip!

Welcome to 1976.

The nation's finest and foxiest are shimmying into discos and singles bars, snorting powder off mirrors, and bumping their booties to earthshaking basslines. Turtlenecked suburbanites spend their afternoons in Group and their evenings with the spouse next door—sometimes both of them. You'll find a lava lamp on every desk, a muscle car in every garage, and a pet rock in every pocket.

But don't let the funky facade fool you. This isn't the year you remember. While the United States of Americo gets its bicentennial groove on, the foundations of the world are starting to crack—and unearthly forces are slipping in through the fissures.

The temperature is soaring. The ice caps are shearing apart, flooding the coastlines and wrecking the weather. Droughts and acid rain are turning farmland to ashes, leaving millions hungry and restless. The oil wells are down to their last drop. Even the bees are getting angry—and organized.

And that's just the respectable bad news. Tabloids and trashy television shows are filled with off-the-wall stories that get more plausible each passing day. Saucers swooping out of the midnight sky to snatch people from their beds. Hulking man-apes stomping through the deep forests on outsized feet. Dinosaurs haunting the nation's lakes. Devils forcing their way into people's heads.

What the hell happened? Nobody who knows the truth is telling. But it all seemed to start two years ago—on August 9th, 1974.

President Stanton Spobeck's dirty tricks had finally caught up with him, and he was about to resign before he could get booted from office in disgrace. Then a once-in-an-epoch earthquake snapped off the West Coast of Americo and plunged it into the ocean. Spobeck stayed in office in the interest of national stability, promising to face the music once the crisis was over (wink wink).

But things just kept getting worse. The environment tanked. The monsters (or whatever they are) came out of the closet. And Spobeck put the entire Southwest of Americo under martial law. He claimed the area had been contaminated and was facing dangerous aftershocks from the quake. But everybody knows he's trying to keep something trapped in there. You can't turn on the news without seeing elliptical reports of massacres and riots across the farm belt. Something big and hungry is on the hunt. But what woke it up? And what does it want?

Nobody is taking this well. Americo's Cold War enemies are striking while the country is distracted, gobbling up huge chunks of the free world. And of course, back at home, the nation is partying in deep denial, shaking their money-makers in BootyDome dancehalls or cheering along to Omegaball, the blood sport that has become the fastest-growing pastime in the world. Others have taken refuge in secular cults promising everything from a peek at your past lives to a ticket on an ancient astronaut's saucer.

Just about the only people who aren't raving up a storm or making a power grab are you and your team of adventurous friends. Why? You know something everybody else doesn't. According to the prophecies of an obscure 16th-century mystic named Abednego Trestle, the world as we know it is going to end at the stroke of midnight on December 31st, 1979—unless someone does something to stop it.

That's your job. Welcome to Damnation Decade.

Rob Toth

First Post
Hello again!

As promised, here are the links to the design diaries for the game.

The first entry describes how Damnation Decade evolved from a far-future, after-the-fall setting into an alternative history.

Next I go into the whys and wherefores of the game world, from its tone and themes to its recent history to its major players (including a glossary of names and places).

In part three, we get to the crunch, outlining new feats, skills, classes and rules subsystems.

The diaries finish up with some thoughts about starting a campaign and making sure you and your players are on the same page. You'll also find a set of pregenerated heroes and a GM Character to act as their patron.

So there you have it! Please feel free to post any questions, comments or suggestions. Can't wait to hear from you!

Take care,
Rob

shaylon

First Post
I purchased the book at Origins from the Green Ronin booth. It was not what I thought it was going to be, in effect I expected it to be a True20 book with D20 Modern conversions. I had that backwards.

Regardless of my error the book has proved to be great! All of your favorite icons of the 70's are there, although some admittedly are hard to find. The names have been changed for obvious reasons, but their stories are there.

I am considering running a one shot for my local group based on an episode of that 70's show. The one where they go to the lake right before high school graduation, only in DD, the Lady in the Lake is real, and she is a monster!

I also considered doing a game where Fez was an Alien as they never really did say where he was from on the show.

I enjoyed the book. I think there are some great ideas and concepts, and I think the 70's were captured in it's pages. The fears and terrors of the day are all there, and they are real.

If I could ask a question, what motivated you to do a 70's inspired setting?

Thanks
-Shay

arscott

First Post
I'm checking out the preview pages.

Is it just me, or does Improved Dancing Fool seem abysmally broken (especially as it seems to stack with armor).

Last edited:

Rob Toth

First Post
Green Ronin Is People!

Hi there--

Thanks for the comments and questions. (If Mork could appear on "Happy Days," Fez could certainly be an alien!) Let's see...

--Improved Dancing Fool: I see your point; here's my logic. I was trying to toss a bone to characters who loaded up on Charisma-centered feats and skills at the expense of combat prowess and armor proficiencies, as well as folks who stuck it out in low-Defense careers because they were attached to a character concept. Certainly, the feat can be exploited to buff out characters who are already tanks, but I figured if you're going to play a tank, you're not going to blow a feat on the basic version of Dancing Fool.

All that said, I was probably naive in thinking that folks would always make those choices "in character" (and so you wouldn't see, say, Buford Pusser beefing himself up with Improved Dancing Fool). If you think the feat is out of line, by all means tweak it with a house rule.

--Why'd I Do It: It seemed like a world that hadn't been explored in RPGs, with a lot of possibilities for unique and funky adventures. People tend to remember the kitschy side of the Seventies, the Farrah hair and the boots with fishbowls in them. But underneath that campiness some really world-shattering stuff was happening. Millions of people were dying in purges and proxy wars, everyone thought the planet was about to collapse from overpopulation (and then freeze solid in a new Ice Age), the current culture wars were starting in earnest...and that's before you get to the goofball mysticism (Crystal Skull! Bermuda Triangle!) and killer bees. It almost works without monsters!

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Take care,
Rob

rowport

First Post
Rob-

Thanks for starting the thread! I was so excited about the premise of Damnation Decade that I preordered the book through my FLGS! :) It is a pretty good read, although I have not had time to fully digest all the details yet.

My one big critique of the book was your use of substitute names throughout the text; I found it quite jarring, and did not understand the reason for avoiding real names (at least for countries- I guess I can understand people). Is there a 'translation' index somewhere, even unofficial? Most of the people were identifiable, but some not, and even some countries were tough for me. Since a big part of the premise is a alternate history from the real world 1970s, I would think that using real names would help the versimilitiude.

I did appreciate that the scope of the book was very wide. Between zombies, nuclear/chemical scares, Big Oil, rollerball, aliens, discos and corrupt politicians I think you covered the era pretty well. :) I am not sure that I would put all those elements into one plot, but you addressed the 'pick and choose' options effectively.

More later- thanks again!

dougmander

Explorer
If it's not impolite to ask, and feel free to decline to answer...

How old are you, Rob? I can imagine a very different game coming from someone who was an adult during the 70s, came of age during the 70s, was a kid, or was just a Seven-and-Seven-fueled gleam in their parents' eyes.

C. Baize

First Post
Rob Toth said:
(and so you wouldn't see, say, Buford Pusser beefing himself up with Improved Dancing Fool)

That's a priceless mental image...

Bo Svenson in his Buford Pusser uniform doing a baton twirl dance routine with the big stick...

Priceless...

Add a couple of zombies, an alien, John Travolta in his white outfit, and the Fonz.... My head would detonate in a disco ball-esque explosion of light.

Remove ads