Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 2

narayan

Explorer
Ania, Ersun, Vakus

Ersun tries to focus on Vakus first and carefully tracks his movements as he takes his position. He sees the goblin fumbling in his sleeve and uses the opening to take a meticulous swing at him with his heavy blade. Meanwhile he assesses what exactly the monstrous pair is equipped with to better deal with them.
(Attack of opportunity; hit roll: 23; damage: 13)

[Location of Ersuns hit on Vakus: = 20, Right Eye, Serious Damage! Blinded permanently.]

Your two handed sword slices Vakus directly across the face, through his nose and right eye! The old goblin shrieks and clutches at his ruined eye socked, dropping his wand.

Vakus: "Aiiiyeee! Stop! Don't kill me! We surrender! We surrender!" He says falling to his knees and begging for his life.

Half Troll: Stares with disbelief at Vakus. -Speaking Goblin- "Surrender?!" He balks.

Vakus: -Speaking Goblin-"YES! Release her!" He insists.

Reluctantly, the half troll heeds Vakus' orders and releases his claws around Ania.

<End of Combat>

[Ersun: What do you do?]

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Bax, Kryslogious, Malic, Ordechai, Wrenwil

Kryslogious looks to the dwarves as the caravan begins to organize and prepare for its continued march.

"may I ask a favor, It seems this area is not suited for Chivalan full plate. Since you both are familiar with donning armor I ask you help me dismount my gear before we continue." he politely requests of them while pulling the shield and scabbard off his belts and latches to place onto the sand. He starts to quietly hum the tune of a holy Pentos chant.

The old cleric was keen to move on, pleased that the hill dwarves also seemed anxious to be on their way. It had worked out well, far better than expected, they would journey as a group, Ordechai was alive, and it seemed Malic and Alic would be true to their word... for now.

He did what he could to assist Kryslogious to wriggle free of the scorching burden, layers of shining steel which singed the tips of the fingers as he worked.

The dwarves, along with Wrenwil, help unburden Kryslogious from his armor. Full plate beneath a hot desert sun would seriously fatigue anyone unfortunate enough to wear it all day. The dwarves also say they will keep behind the rest of you to keep an eye on Ordechai and Bax until nightfall.

[Kryslogious: What do you do with your armor once you've removed it? Do you plan on carrying it over your shoulder in a sack, or will you let the dwarves add the bundle to their ponies? Another option would be asking Ordechai to add the armor to the goods carried by the large hogs.]

[Kryslogious, Wrenwil: Is there anything you plan to do before the caravan stops for the night ]

Ersun

He carefully watches them as the half-troll releases Ania, nods towards the girl and gestures for her to come closer and away from them.
[In case the goblin did not close the door they came through he asks Ania to do so now]

“Stay still, I wouldn’t budge if I were you.” he says to Vakus and he holds him at sword edge with the blade resting at his neck. He is not the least amused as one can be only humorous so much with such a day. To the half-breed he gestures to go inside the barred cell. “Go inside, and do not make any hasty movements.” he instructs in goblin.

He also takes some mindful glances at Ania to ensure she is unharmed. So much about wriggling less and hoping things will just work out if he tries to go with the flow. He isn’t really sure if it’s the fault of the systems around them, or it’s just his fate or character that’s odd with it. The gods could be generous to drop a hint or two occasionally...

Once the brute obliges he focuses his attention to the goblin and begins to search him. Keys, wands, weapons, vials, potions, he looks for anything that the goblin could use.

97mg

Explorer
Wrenwil

As the caravan made it's hot sweaty trudge up the road, Wrenwil walked side by side with the knight, keeping an eye on Ordechai, ensuring he was safe.

He also looked to ensure the bard was at a safe distance, before addressing Kryslogious in their native tongue.

"Kryslogious can be saved,
by the blood of thyne own hand."

Wrenwil gave his new companion a knowing look.

"It is true dear knight of old, the first scribed words of the Tome are known to me, I risked but a glance before with all resolve, I resisted. You see fine sir, a great wish has chosen the most unlikely of men for you. I am aged, resentful, oft times far from grace or piety. Yet, you are here, and the blood of my own hand is yours, should it have worth. Tell me, do you wish me to read the Tome in full? A man's deeds may be written on tin, yet, I respect your privacy should you desire it."

narayan

Explorer
Ania, Ersun, Vakus

Ania: Backs away from the half troll with seething anger in her eyes. Its obvious she'd like nothing more than destroying that creature, and yet its also obvious she was panic'd and fearful for her life. Her voice trembles with adrenaline as she adds emphasis to Ersuns command. "DO IT!"

The half troll glares at you both with hatred, not fear. It only obeys because it apparently has deep loyalty to Vakus. Now inside the cell, it watches you both with the eyes of a hungry predator, eager for an excuse to pounce upon you again.

[Ersun: It doesn't appear as if the half troll will lock himself in the cell willingly]

Meanwhile, Vakus offers no resistance as you search him, merely squirming and moaning in pain and distress.

[Ersun: Fate Pool Search Check, DC 24: = 17, Fail]

To the best of your knowledge, you find everything he carries including:

• Ring of keys
  • Vial of murky white liquid he referred to as a 'Truth Potion'
  • Vial of unidentified liquid
  • Masterwork dagger
  • Coin purse
  • Purse of gems
  • Arcane spell scroll
  • Potion
  • Masterwork Thieves Tools
  • Wand

Ania: Now out of reach of the half troll she closes the door you entered, as you instructed, before turning her wrath upon Vakus. -Speaking undercommon- "You wretched little worm! You forced this upon yourself! Give me one good reason why we shouldn't finish you here and leave your remains for your monster to feed upon!"

Vakus: Denies the possibility emphatically. "Hakal would never eat me! He is loyal to me, just as I am loyal to Crusher as his most trusted gatekeeper! Kill me and you will never again be allowed to enter this stronghold. You'll be branded as traitors to the underworld and hunted for sport!"

Ania: Scoffs. "I think not! Have you forgot exactly who I am?! Your not the only one with powerful allies! Loosing an eye will be the least of your worries if my father hears of this. He would break your limbs one by one with his bare hands, drop you in a sack with a few hungry rats and let them eat you alive!"

Vakus: Changes his tone."I meant no harm to you, I was just following orders. Spare me and I swear I won't complain. We'll say this never happened and you can carry on with your mission."

[Ersun: Make a Sense Motive check, DC 22]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Bax, Kryslogious, Malic, Ordechai, Wrenwil

Just as you are about to make your way along the road Ordechai does something rather unexpected. He reaches over and unlocks Bax from his chain. At first the goblin pauses looking stupefied until Ordechai also removes his own part of the chain and drops it into the sand.

Malic: Raises his voice. "Hold! What do you think your doing?!"

Ordechai: "What does it look like? I'm freeing Bax."

Malic: Looks flustered. "Put him back on that chain! Goblins can't be trusted!"

Ordechai: Shakes his head. "A master who may be executed is little good to a slave. It wouldn't be fair to him to suffer with me. Bax could have attempted to flee when I was struck down. Instead he stood his ground and risked his neck for mine. That's proof enough for me that he deserves a chance to make his own way from now on."

Malic: "That's ridiculous. How do you expect a Goblin to get any respect?!"

Ordechai: "The same way the rest of us do... he'll have to earn it."

Malic: Shakes his head and rolls his eyes.

Bax: Glares up at Malic and speaks up. -Speaking Common- "Mock me if you wish, but I was the first to see Garrisan for what he was!" Bax raises his hand, still holding his bloody wooden shard, as proof of his deed.

Alic: Scoffs. "And that's supposed to make us feel safer?"

Ordechai: "It certainly makes me feel safer. But if its the quality of his weapon that troubles you, well I can remedy that..." Ordechai states matter-of-factly, stepping over to one of his hogs, grabbing a leather wrapped bundle and tossing it on the ground before Bax. The roll unfurls, revealing several exotic and deadly looking daggers sheathed in protective fur-lined pouches. "Take your pick Bax, these daggers come from every corner of Akhenaten."

The dwarves share a look of consternation. It clearly goes against many of their beliefs to let a goblin walk among you freely, especially while armed.

[Kryslogious, Wrenwil: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Ersun

He glares and growls at Vakus in passing as he takes the keys and closes the door onto the half-spawn. Then he calmly walks back to the goblin and towers above him.

“Vakus, we both know that’s not how it works and you can’t be trusted anyway. Do not insult me with such petty attempts.”

He takes the ‘Truth Potion’ and very softly waggles it in front of him. “I would have a few very precise questions. You can respond to them now, and then I will ask them again once we chug this down your throat. I am most curious what differences it will make.

His questions so far would be:
- is he hiding anything else on himself,
- or in the quarters,
- or knowledge that endangers them?
- What are the potions good for,
- what is the arcane scroll good for,
- what does the wand do?
- Why would the potion be used on them now if it wasn’t during earlier visits of Ania?

[Sense Motive check: 23]

Shun001

Explorer
Kryslogious

Kryslogious now disrobed from his armors straps the gear to one of the dwarves pony, you now see a rather well built chivalan man with no visible scars across his body cept some bruising shown through the cut in his blue coat. He now dons the blue over coat, padded under armor pants, the plate boots, and his scarf. his shield slung on his back and his sword on his waist.

As the caravan made it's hot sweaty trudge up the road, Wrenwil walked side by side with the knight, keeping an eye on Ordechai, ensuring he was safe.

He also looked to ensure the bard was at a safe distance, before addressing Kryslogious in their native tongue.

"Kryslogious can be saved,
by the blood of thyne own hand."

Wrenwil gave his new companion a knowing look.

"It is true dear knight of old, the first scribed words of the Tome are known to me, I risked but a glance before with all resolve, I resisted. You see fine sir, a great wish has chosen the most unlikely of men for you. I am aged, resentful, oft times far from grace or piety. Yet, you are here, and the blood of my own hand is yours, should it have worth. Tell me, do you wish me to read the Tome in full? A man's deeds may be written on tin, yet, I respect your privacy should you desire it."

"mine lord, the legends I has't hath made art for all to heareth, though not all tales art of valorous I chooseth to shoulder mine sin instead of encave t. mine memories may only returneth once a story is translat'd from the tome, and the tome is writ in many tongues." he explains in old chivalan

"Mind thee, of the many times I has't hath appeared I may not has't at each moment been recognized as Kryslogius. Some tales may seemeth familiar in thy history." he elaborates upon the subject, then in common finished with a tune.

"...Bound to a tome forever to serve, Til the songs of 100 Legends are herd."
he sang ending with the sentence "If you want to help me translate that book"

narayan said:
Just as you are about to make your way along the road Ordechai does something rather unexpected. He reaches over and unlocks Bax from his chain. At first the goblin pauses looking stupefied until Ordechai also removes his own part of the chain and drops it into the sand.

Malic: Raises his voice. "Hold! What do you think your doing?!"

Ordechai: "What does it look like? I'm freeing Bax."

Malic: Looks flustered. "Put him back on that chain! Goblins can't be trusted!"

Ordechai: Shakes his head. "A master who may be executed is little good to a slave. It wouldn't be fair to him to suffer with me. Bax could have attempted to flee when I was struck down. Instead he stood his ground and risked his neck for mine. That's proof enough for me that he deserves a chance to make his own way from now on."

Malic: "That's ridiculous. How do you expect a Goblin to get any respect?!"

Ordechai: "The same way the rest of us do... he'll have to earn it."

Malic: Shakes his head and rolls his eyes.

Bax: Glares up at Malic and speaks up. -Speaking Common- "Mock me if you wish, but I was the first to see Garrisan for what he was!" Bax raises his hand, still holding his bloody wooden shard, as proof of his deed.

Alic: Scoffs. "And that's supposed to make us feel safer?"

Ordechai: "It certainly makes me feel safer. But if its the quality of his weapon that troubles you, well I can remedy that..." Ordechai states matter-of-factly, stepping over to one of his hogs, grabbing a leather wrapped bundle and tossing it on the ground before Bax. The roll unfurls, revealing several exotic and deadly looking daggers sheathed in protective fur-lined pouches. "Take your pick Bax, these daggers come from every corner of Akhenaten."

The dwarves share a look of consternation. It clearly goes against many of their beliefs to let a goblin walk among you freely, especially while armed.

[Kryslogious, Wrenwil: What do you do?]

Kryslogious chuckles as the Dwarves are distraught at Bax becoming free "Oh spare me you two before I keel over from laughter. Do you seriously think a single goblin with a fancy knife can fell two battle harden dwarves? Alic I would dare say your head would snap the poor goblins blade in two."

He smiles to Ordechai "A slaver and a mage really put me at odd with you sire, but there may be some hope for you yet! Though let it be known If I dare find any if my belongings amiss I will make sure the goblin will be first to be tied to a log and shoved down a river." he said jokingly.

Kryslogious remembers that his sword was still dirty, removing it from its sheath he began cleaning it with his bare hands. The letters Ch_ech_d s__t are now much more highlighted as blood had dried in the worn engraved letters. Kryslogious struggles to clean his blade properly without having any equipment or spare cloth.

[DM may want characters who are familiar with the Melody Knight legend to roll knowledge history on his sword]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Ania, Ersun, Hakal, Vakus

Results of Sense Motive check_______________________

Vakus is lying about his offered promises. Sparing him might be unwise.

As you and Ania are clearly unconvinced of his lies he cracks and speaks with raw fear, the likes of which you have rarely seen. What he says next must indeed be the truth, insofar as he believes it, because merely uttering it seems to shake his being to the core. His one remaining eye appears to bugle from its socket, trying to glance into every dark corner at once. His voice likewise grows very hoarse because he's so frightened he doesn't pause to breathe.

Vakus: Speaks with raw fear. "Ok I admit I have deceived you. But it was her who made me do it! ...The one named Aesedai who is something called a 'tiefling', born of a powerful witch named Valthedai who lays with demons! Valthedai is an ally of Crusher so Aesedai has been allowed to come and go for some time. This 'truth serum' she gave me doesn't reveal truths, it convinces the imbiber of any truths you wish them to believe! Aesedai instructed me to give it to Ania and make her act on the belief that Crusher had to be stopped!"

Ania: "And you call yourself Crushers most loyal gatekeeper?!" She spits.

Vakus: Appears to shrivel with shame. "I was, but Aesedai gets under your skin. Her voice makes you think things, feel things, want things you didn't think you did. Her influence corrupts you slowly like a sickness. At first you deny it, than you do your best to resist it so others don't notice... but eventually you will do anything to silence her voice in your head!
"

He shudders. "That's when she has you in her control, because as soon as you agree to do things for her she makes the sickness stop. Or so you think, but always while you sleep, at the edges of your dreams, you can hear her voice again..." He sighs. "The worst part is you hear yourself talking back. Answering her every question, and you can't stop!"

Ania: "So your saying she'll know you disobeyed her?"

Vakus: Grimaces. "She'll know eventually... please help me I beg you!" He pleads.

Ania: Looks to you Ersun. "Even if we wanted to help you Vakus, I'm not sure what we could do? It sounds like you are under some sort of curse. If it were me, I'd throw myself at the mercy of the shamans in the hope their powers could cure me, but of course, I am not a lowly and despicable goblin..."

[Ersun: Vakus will answer those other questions for you now if you still wish to ask them? What do you do?]

Last edited:

Remove ads