Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 5

narayan

Explorer
Aust, Avar, Jabbar

Aust:
OOC: Aust's defensive instincts spin up. He immediately adjusts his posture and comportment, no longer relaxed. He reaches to assist the female up, taking stock of her appearance and unique characteristics (Aust wants to recall her face - does he know her?] and faces Jabbar and Avar. He does not let go, and he doesn't help untangle her feet from the bolos.

He doesn't speak to her. He simply nods at her and holds her still, placing her facing him but with her back to Jabbar & Avar. If they wanted her dead, they would not have used a bolo. Aust doesn't want her to bolt, and he doesn't want her to know how close they are from her to move her to struggle. Folks get injured when they struggle. Really don't want her hurt. She's not a gnome, or an orc.

Again, defensively, Aust takes a measure of the direction she was running, any other living folks around (Infravision), and then focuses again on her. Nope, she's not moving.
OOC:

Once she realizes you are not actually helping her she attempts to struggle free of your grasp, even reaching for a dagger, but it is already too late. Avar and Jabbar are only a few steps behind. In truth you would not have recognized Jabbar or Avar by their faces, since both are well concealed in their cloaks, but you recognized his garments and movements easily enough.

Avar: Is first to reach you, reaching a hand up over her mouth to stifle her shouts. "Do not struggle and you will not be harmed!" He says to her, reaching his other hand to grab her dagger away.

Jabbar: Places a hand of thanks on your shoulder. "No names!" He warns quickly before he steps back and casts a spell out of her peripheral vision. (Casts Sleep)

Woman: (Will Save, DC 14: = 18, Saves)

Jabbar: Curses under his breath as his spell fails. "Knock her out!"

You can't help but pity Jabbar, an ineffectual spellcaster at best compared to your kind. He struggled so hard to learn just a few low level spells. It wounds his pride deeply when they fail. The woman starts to struggle twice as hard again now that he's ordered Avar to disregard his own promise.

[Aust: What do you do? Also, don't forget to roll up a Fate Pool in DDS 215 on rolz.org. Roll 20d20. If it's less than 200 you may re-roll.]

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Asusk, Bax, Kryslogious, Ordechai, Svexyn, Wrenwil

Svexyn said:
"Tonight has been most interesting. Yes, that is my camp with the two tents. When you see fit to, we will be waiting. For now, I think Asusk will be gathering his own gear and relocating to the area as well. And don't mind the kobold or half-dwarf; they are both with me. We have much to talk about, if Asusk is right about this place. And be careful of Drasus, the one that attempted to skewer your friend. He's upstairs, so steer away from there. Tamas can provide you with the gear you need. Just ask for Gedeon, he'll point you in the right direction."

Ordechai: Nods "I've known Gedeon and Tamas for quite a few years. Even the owner and I are on a first name basis..." Noticing the look on your face he continues. "...but that sort of familiarity doesn't mean anything. None of these Quresh are truly trustworthy, it's just helpful to have a history with them doing business."

Alic: "It would make sense to let you do the talking for now Ordechai. Yet don't forget, I made a vow to protect you. I must remain by your side. I wont take orders from these Quresh or anyone else."

Ordechai: "Yes yes... I know how seriously you dwarves take such vows. Just remember I'm in charge so keep your pride in check!"

Asusk: Extends his hand to Ordechai to grasp it. "Be careful in there old friend!"

Ordechai: Accepts Asusk's hand and chuckles. "It can't be worse than out here of late! The price on my head isn't getting any easier to live with. Besides that, there is serious unrest in Masaeus. It would seem every ship capable of floating is fleeing the city. We nearly capsized trying to get upriver."

Asusk: "I'll be interested in hearing about that later."

Ordechai: "You will old friend. In the meantime, we might as well combine our camps. I'll trust you remember my hogs and how to care for them?" Asusk nods and Ordechai continues. "My former slave, Bax, will help you offload my goods. My armored guard here..." Gestures to Kryslogious "...is a man of few words. Yet I trust he will do me the honor of watching over my goods until I return, since he would rather not speak to any Quresh in the first place."

With that settled Ordechai leads the way forward towards the Restless Sands Inn with Alic and Wrenwil.

Note: Click the name of the inn above ^ to link to a page on obsidian portal that describes the inn in detail. (This is faster than reiterating the same descriptions I told Svexyn in previous scenes.)

Ordechai enters the common room with calm familiarity, Alice and Wrenwil close at his heels. There are many stares from those seated inside, mostly towards Ordechai for his hideous disfigurements. Ordechai ignores the looks and waves over a pretty golden-eyed table maid with his good hand.

Ordechai: "Tylia! You are a sight to behold as ever. As refreshing to the eyes of a weary wanderer as an oasis in the desert!"

Tylia: Smirks. "Hello again Ordechai. It's been a while, how fare you?"

Ordechai: "I couldn't answer well in honesty, but I'm better now, and I'll be better still with some of your famous aqua-vitae and a hot meal in my belly!"

Tylia: "Certainly! Should I get a private table ready for you upstairs?"

Ordechai: "No don't bother. I am weary from a hard days travel and too tired to discuss business at this late hour. I'll find a table for myself and my companions here in the common room."

Tylia: Nods. "And what will your companions be having?" She asks looking to Alic and Wrenwil.

Alic: "Dwarven ale if you have it?"

Tylia: "We do sir. It's four silver per flagon."

Alic: Nods. "That'll do."

[Wrenwil: What do you do?]

Kryslogious, Svexyn_________________________

Asusk and Bax take the leads of the hogs and pull them over to Svexyn's camp before they unburden them with all of Ordechai's goods. Kryslogious, you see a hill dwarf and a kobold nearby busily shoveling dirt into an empty grave, but you recall Svexyn said they are 'his', and Asusk himself said that grave was merely a ruse about his demise at the hands of this 'Drasus'.

[Kryslogious, Svexyn: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Aust Thale

[Aust: (Fate Pool done, see rolz)]

Aust: ~I trust Jabbar implicitly, but really? This was not my intent this evening. I just wanted a bottle....~

Aust: (Intimidate Check: = 16) Speaking to her in low but audible tones as I drag her into a shadow, "I suppose it's the hard way. Stop struggling."

If the intimidate fails, look over her shoulder with wide eyes, hopefully catching her off guard again, and sweep her feet hard with the intent of knocking her unconscious. If the intimidate succeeds, and she is silent, help Jabbar & Avar gag her and bind her hands.

Once she is secured, look around to see no one is surveying three of us. Then look at her closely. Do I know her? Tavern girl? Guild? Surely not the Vul. Would be embarrassing to have used that kind of heavy invocation just to have her be a Vul courier.

Last edited by a moderator:

97mg

Explorer
Wrenwil

Wrenwil did his best to ignore the disconcerting glances from the patrons, looking around and doing his well practiced "tired old man act" as he came to grips with the place. It was no Chivalan bistro, but he was surprised by the tasty food smells and what seemed to be a professional establishment running within the very old looking walls.

Then things improved even further. Tylia. It had been a while since he'd seen such a pretty and sociable lass, maybe this would be "refreshing" after all. Damn. It was all here. Everything he'd always failed to renounce, pretty girls, booze, probably some gambling going on somewhere... Just because you were an old cleric, didn't mean you always had to be clean, that was what the cleansing of prayer was for.

Wrenwil usually prided himself of his strength of mind, his will forged in iron, and he'd be needing all of it not to make a fool of himself.

~Keep it together, one drink, a meal, and that's it. This is no time to fall. Her eyes are beautiful though. I could squeeze that behind like a fresh grape, but naturally, I won't, being a respectable old man and all...~

He smiled at the girl and gave a little nod as she kindly offered service.

"Just a wine for me please, and the Rock Pigeon sounds delightful."

He wondered where the hell they sourced their pigeon from given the desolate location, almost cursing himself for not memorizing a purification spell. Oh well, he'd have to trust the chef on this one.

[sblock=Wrenwil Stats]
attachment.php
WRENWIL - a tough old boot on a terrible holiday

Sheet:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=209300
Level
4, Init 2, HP 20/27, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 10, Base Attack Bonus 3
Masterwork Staff +7 to hit (d6+3)
Spells: 5/5/3
[/sblock]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Aust, Avar, Jabbar

Avar: Takes the flat-of-the-blade of his hand axe upside the side of her head. (Coupe-de-grace, subdual damage: = 13) The woman falls limp in your arms. "There we are." He says matter-of-factly.

Jabbar: "Thank you Avar! Quickly, get her into the shop!" He says in a hushed voice.

As you and avar drag her to the back door you get a closer look at her. She looks to be Neferese, late twenties probably, unremarkable in looks and dress and average in every way. You do not recognize her being associated with any group you should be worried about. But of course, Avar and Jabbar must have a reason to chase her in the first place?

[Aust: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Folg and Mogan

Svexyn:

As the group splits, Svexyn returns to the camp with Asusk, the goblin, and the armored mute. The days' events have had their toll on him, and he wonders just how long this night will be.

"Mogan. Folg. It appears that our camp will be a little bigger now. Asusk here has managed to run into his old friend, who also has a few people in his group. This should help hide him, as there will be quite a few extra people walking around and easier to hide another person among them all."

As the goods are removed and stowed, Svexyn can only wonder just who this Ordechai is to have been able to not only come to know Asusk as a friend, but sway him into the path of learning and tracking. As he contemplates this, he looks at the goblin, wondering if he too was the same as Asusk.

"Mogan, if you don't mind, can you take first watch? I have something to discuss with Folg that might bore you, but you are welcome to listen. I am not sure about the armored man there, or the goblin, but our watch still stands to be needed."

As he moves about the camp, checking the grave and the cart, Svexyn walks with Folg. He switches to Draconic, as he talks with Folg. "You know, I think this place is where I am supposed to be for today. I feel a change of something within me, and have begun to wonder if it is time to take on an apprentice. I was told that eventually, I would have to relay my teachings to another. This is how my order grows and continues its journey."

Svexyn stops by the edge of the camp, looking towards the inn and what lies beyond it in the ruins. "Is this something you would consider? To learn of the powers that only true disciples can fathom? You would have to be tested first, but I offer you this chance, if you would like it. Do not give your answer tonight. Sleep on it and tell me in the morning. Until then, think about it, know that it would require your servitude to me freely, and should you not show the discipline to learn the lessons, your service will be terminated."

It is then that he looks over at the silent warrior, wondering when he would speak or introduce himself. "Asusk? Who are these others with Ordechai? The goblin seems to work for him, but this armored one that has failed to introduce himself may have had his tongue removed. I sense that they too are on edge."

Ersun

He ponders a little as he puts together where to start.

“Underfolk are a rather scattered and divided people. Our origins hail from the surface as you suspected. Thousands of years ago we lived in the Sezzara Region, west of Vulkh in a realm known as the Kezzarat Theocracy. However a great calamity befell us and we were forced underground. The high priest of Zhieros, whom we refer to as a 'pontificate' founded a new capital beneath the surface called Kezzarach.

Yet his hold on the theocracy was not nearly as strong as it once was, allowing some tribes to break away as independents. I hail from one of those frontier tribes, Eridu, who occupy caverns from an old and ruined duergar stronghold. There is a strong warrior culture in our tribe, and a pride in our strength and adeptness at survival. Warmages are the
elite of the tribe, forming a unusual hierarchy in a culture that typically relies more on a ruling priesthood.

Despite our steadily growing arcane tradition, independent tribes of Underfolk are underdogs of the underdark. Compared to drow, duergar and mind flayers our tribe is no exception, especially in the realm of arcane prowess.”

He gazes a little outside the veranda for a bit as he thinks a little more on things. “Life down there may be different, but it seems to me like it is just as hard to know whom to trust up here.” he comments with a glance at Rasul and a knowing smirk.

“I’m a sort of bard and a traveler. I like to think I am a keen observer, as well as a better-than-average storyteller." He remarks before he continues to speak about all sorts of curiosities in the underdark, starting with alcoholic beverages, but also touching on dangers, politics, and traditions. There is no shortage of bardic lore or life experience he can draw from, especially in regards to geography and dungeoneering stemming from his love for ranging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shun001

Explorer
Kryslogious of Anasteria

Kryslogious bid Ordechai and Wrenwil off with a nod as he followed the hogs to the camp. Without turning his head he sized up the Svexyn and Asusk being the two he felt the most threatening should the situation go south. Bax seemed joyfully preoccupied with tending to the hogs but Kryslogious was quite uneasy. He kept a keen sense open to the feeling , should Wrenwil's life be threatened he would feel it.

The camp was minimal as to avoid any unnecessary detection and fairly fresh, the ground still soft fro the lack of foot traffic.. While the others tended to his business Kryslogious circled the perimeter staring out into the dimly lit night, every so often pausing and studying the minute nuances of landscape and markers. Svexyn approached the Half Orc

[listen check=18, pass]

It is then that he looks over at the silent warrior, wondering when he would speak or introduce himself. "Asusk? Who are these others with Ordechai? The goblin seems to work for him, but this armored one that has failed to introduce himself may have had his tongue removed. I sense that they too are on edge."

"Forgive my rudeness but it seems dangerous to introduce myself under such circumstances." He interjects while pacing towards them.

He stands before them without a formal bow or gesture of greeting, he does not know quite how to handle acquaintances of Ordechai. Ordechai's checkered past and practice of spellcraft already leaves Kryslogious uneasy. Camping with a kobold and half orc was unnerving. He regarded Bax as more of an annoyance then a danger, the former wouldn't be as pleasant. He needed a way to brake the tension for his own relief, He also wanted to know more about the kind of people he now surrounded himself with... an idea struck him.

"Shall we spar?" he asked in a matter of fact tone to Svexyn. "If yes, please decide the terms"

This was his way of answering many questions without words.

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Ordechai, Wrenwil

He smiled at the girl and gave a little nod as she kindly offered service.

"Just a wine for me please, and the Rock Pigeon sounds delightful."

Tylia: "No problem sir!" She says and moves to the kitchen.

The interior of this inn smells of exotic spices, old sweat, and dried dung burning in the hearths.

There's a Quresh guard standing by the backdoor by the stage. Three patrons are seated at the bar, and nine more are seated at three of the tables. Seated at the middle table are three merchants, two being Akhenaten and one being Maharathan. The table closest to the kitchen has two men in wizards robes with a young apprentice. Finally the table behind you, closest to the stage, has two soundrels and one scout.

On the stage are two scantily-clad ladies of mixed origins dancing seductively as a trio of halfling musicians play a tune on drums, flute and gittern. Another Maharathan patron stands near the stage ogling the girls up close. A Quresh man is seated at the bar who looks to be handling the girls, chatting about them to whoever pays the most attention.

The bartender is a huge Mgorongoron with a beard and a bald head. He looks strong enough to crush a mug in one hand if he tried too. The other two men at the bar are
Mgorongoron warriors conversing with the bartender in their native tongue. They've marked their skin with piercings and scars in a proud display of their high pain threshold.

Besides Tylia, there are two more serving girls carrying trays of hot food in and out of the kitchen, making the total number of persons in the common room to be 25, including Tylia.

Ordechai selects the empty table in the corner near the hearth, sitting with his back to the coals. Alic sits where he keep his back to the wall, shield hanging from the back of his chair, while Wrenwil sits across from him where he can get the most warmth from the hearth.

DDS%20215%20The%20Restless%20Sands.png~original

Ordechai:
Exhales loudly and stretches his back, sending a chain of pops down his spine before he remarks. "So good to sit in a real chair after such a miserable march!"

Alic: -comments in a low voice- "I spot two Quresh in here. The guard by the door and another one seated at the bar."

Ordechai: "The guard is Gedeon, the other is Giza, the pimp."

Alic: Snorts. "So the Quresh are flesh-peddlers as well?"

Ordechai: Nods. "As well as slavers, smugglers, spies and assassins. The Quresh are masters of all ill-trades."

Alic: "Whom do we speak with to get the answers we seek?"

Ordechai: "
When I'm ready I will speak with Saraesh Husayn, the owner. WE won't speak to anyone. I'm doing the talking remember? Just keep your mouth shut and do your best to look politely disinterested whenever I'm talking to the Quresh. You are just a bodyguard for this foreign traveler..." He gestures to Wrenwil "...remember?"

Just then Tylia approaches your table bearing a tray of food and drinks. She places a bottle of Aqua-Vitae and three shot glasses at the center of the table, along with a flagon of Dwarven ale and a cup of fine wine. She also places a trencher of in front of Wrenwil with a skewered rock pigeon, roasted in a sweet glaze with figs and assorted nuts.

Ordechai: Eyes Wrenwil's food. "That looks tasty... what else is on the menu?"

Tylia: "Today we have cakes made from ground roasted lentils pressed and fried in oil called ‘Ashishim’. We also have flatbreads, baked with garlic and olives. Roasted chickpeas, spiced in the Maharathan fashion, served with potatoes and gravy. Rice served with hot pepers and assorted vegetables. Onion stew with leeks and goat meat flavored with cumin and coriander.
And last but not least, quail eggs and crumbled cheese served with biscuits and herb butter.”

Ordechai: "Bring me some flatbreads and stew please."

Tylia: Notices Alic looks rather dis-settled. "And you sir dwarf?"

Alic: Clears his throat. "Do you have anything less... rich? In truth I am used to simpler fare. I don't think my stomach can handle such exotic flavor."

Ordechai laughs, prompting a glare from Alic. Tylia also scolds him.

Tylia: "No trouble at all! How about pork chops & gravy with biscuits, potatoes and assorted vegetables, on the side?"

Alic: Nods hungrily. "Much obliged!"

Ordechai: Reaches into his coin purse and hands her four gold coins. "This should cover all that plus a pitcher of water. Keep the change!"

Tylia: Takes the gold, beams him a beautiful smile, and twirls back towards the kitchens.

[Wrenwil: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Avar: Takes the flat-of-the-blade of his hand axe upside the side of her head. (Coupe-de-grace, subdual damage: = 13) The woman falls limp in your arms. "There we are." He says matter-of-factly.

Jabbar: "Thank you Avar! Quickly, get her into the shop!" He says in a hushed voice.

As you and avar drag her to the back door you get a closer look at her. She looks to be Neferese, late twenties probably, unremarkable in looks and dress and average in every way. You do not recognize her being associated with any group you should be worried about. But of course, Avar and Jabbar must have a reason to chase her in the first place?

[Aust: What do you do?]

Aust: (To Jabbar and Avar): Well met, gentlemen. <clears throat> Well? Which one of you would like to share first? Such a quiet night…it had great prospects of wine, perhaps some olive oil and bread, and a wink or two from an attractive tavern waitress. < Aust’s demeanor is equal parts adventurous and curious, with a hint of disgust over the lack of wine>

Not an unconscious Neferese woman with a blade.

What most unhappy fellow is going to look for her? I sense more entertainment than a bottle of wine tonight.

Thinking to himself… occasionally, Jabbar does this… Aust has dragged Jabbar out of tavern messes, and likewise vice versa, he has pulled Aust out of the proverbial latrine…taking on the occasional brigand or pirate, and a very specific group of itinerant gnomes (insufferable little cheats), an assorted and most odorous selection of orcs, trolls, and goblins over the years…but Aust doesn’t recall having kidnapped a woman. A gnome yes… dipping him most permanently in manure to make the point. Nasty business. Not a woman though. This is most intriguing.

Remove ads