• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Matter fluff

physicscarp

Explorer
I've recently become interested in learning more about the Dark Matter setting. I know that the d20 Dark Matter book is readily available, but I've also seen a copy of the old Alternity version at my local Half Price Books store. However, I'm not convinced that I want to use d20 Modern for the game if I run it. At least for now, I'm more interested in the setting than the rules.

If I wanted to buy only one book that would provide the most useful and enjoyable setting information, which of the two would you recommend? The new d20 version or the older one?

schroederlance

First Post
I definitely recommend the older, Alternity version of Dark*Matter in terms of fluff. The D20 version of the setting fluff was basically culled verbatim from the older version, only with parts cut out for what I can only assume were space reasons.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Amen. I bought a new copy of the Alternity book to replace my older copy and now use the older one to convert the infidels to the faith. I bought the d20 version for my game group and leave it there on the bookshelf for others to read.

The older one is superior but if you were going to play d20Modern Dark*Matter and wanted a one-stop shop without any conversion work, the new one is a good book. The new one is very attractive and well put together.

--fje

masshysteria

Explorer
Alternity version!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Alternity version has two adventures in it (Exit 23 and Raw Recruits) while the D20 version only has one (Exit 23).

The Alternity version also has quick play rules, so you can test drive Alternity if you'd like.

In this web enhancement, there are guides for converting from Alternity to d20 Modern: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20modern/we/20031007a

Although, I think the Alternity rule set supports modern play better than d20 Modern.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
My wife and her brother and friends all very much enjoy the Alternity system. Whenever we go out to visit, I end up running a few Star*Drive and Dark*Matter games under the original Alternity rulesets.

I prefer d20, myself, because of the OGL. There are also a few issues with Alternity, though they are easy enough to fix ... armor can get odd in higher PLs and the Alternity cognates to Saving Throws are a mix between resistances based on ability scores and skills. If you don't take, for instance, the mental fortitude type skill because you do not realize its importance, you might find yourself with something along the lines of a 2.5% chance to resist some things d20 would call a Will Save.

The system itself is quite a bit of fun, however. Because the PDFs are about 5$ a pop, I say the Alternity System PDFs + Dark*Matter PDF would be the best $15 dollars a person could spend on RPG gaming. Alternity itself was a toolkit system well suited to a variety of modern and sci-fi gametypes (and pretty passable for past/fantasy).

For instance, the first time I played Alternity with the in-law types it was because I didn't expect to be running a game at all and was asked to at the last minute. I needed a system, so I just bought the Alternity PDFs and went to work. I have the books at home (and home at the time was the other side of the continent) but I keep the PDFs on my computer for emergency gaming situations.

--fje

masshysteria

Explorer
I've never liked reading or learning a game from PDFs, but man are they great for reference and portability. Getting the Alternity PDFs are on my list, but I just can't keep from buying new games at indiepressrevolution.com.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads