• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun - 3.5 (Closed)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Lot said:
As for SteveGorak, I think Kuvick is very good character. I think we can tie your quest to find the wizard into Heartseer and Quaketongue's mission to find their defiler. Nice job.

Kewl, thanks!

I have a few questions concerning equipment.

1)How much money are we starting off with?
2)Can we have magical/psionic equipment (if yes, how much do these go for)?
3)My character has 2 levels of bard, and he'll have craft (alchemy): +8 and craft(poisonmaking): +6. I'd like him to have poison. How much would you allow him to have, and what kind? What would the cost be?

Aside from the equipment, my character is ready to go.
Cheers,

SG

Bront

The man with the probe
Steve Gorak said:
Kewl, thanks!

I have a few questions concerning equipment.

1)How much money are we starting off with?
2)Can we have magical/psionic equipment (if yes, how much do these go for)?
3)My character has 2 levels of bard, and he'll have craft (alchemy): +8 and craft(poisonmaking): +6. I'd like him to have poison. How much would you allow him to have, and what kind? What would the cost be?

Aside from the equipment, my character is ready to go.
Cheers,

SG
1) Per the first post, 2,700 CP
2) I assumed so, since the DS book says they generaly convert 1-1 on cost (Gold Piece = Ceramic Piece), though they may be made with alternate materials in some cases, or at least slightly different (My sash of resistance instead of cloak). If that is not the case, I'll need to fix my gear.
3) No clue, that's the GM's call, though technicaly as long as the craft is a take 10, you should be able to make non-magical stuff at 1/3 cost.

Note, if we're going to be based out of Tyr (which fits Darkclaw's current background, and was thrown about), and Tyr is technicaly free (not sure if that's happened yet or nor), you may need to elaborate a bit on the particular assignment (which may simply be a long term monitoring of Tyr, or some other such thing). Either way, should be fun.

Lot

First Post
Bront said:
2) I assumed so, since the DS book says they generaly convert 1-1 on cost (Gold Piece = Ceramic Piece), though they may be made with alternate materials in some cases, or at least slightly different (My sash of resistance instead of cloak). If that is not the case, I'll need to fix my gear.
3) No clue, that's the GM's call, though technicaly as long as the craft is a take 10, you should be able to make non-magical stuff at 1/3 cost.

Note, if we're going to be based out of Tyr (which fits Darkclaw's current background, and was thrown about), and Tyr is technicaly free (not sure if that's happened yet or nor), you may need to elaborate a bit on the particular assignment (which may simply be a long term monitoring of Tyr, or some other such thing). Either way, should be fun.

Most of Bront's assessment of the situation are correct. The type of clothing for magical items is convertable and Gp=Cp for all starting equipment needs. You can carry as much poison as you can make at 1/3 cost.

Now, Tyr is very NOT free at this point. I need to get my hands on my Dark Sun material next week to get all the details, but Kalak is sorceror-king in Tyr right now and the ziggarat project is just getting underway. I'll have more flavor details when I get my books. Sorry for the slow launch due to me moving, but I think we'll be able to get going pretty quick when we get everything together. So, please be patient.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Bront said:

Hey Bront!

Thanks, I totally didn't see the starting gold in the first post. As for magic/psionic gear, I'll do as you did, unless told otherwize.

As for the poison, I'll have to get a DM ruling on that. It'll actually influence my equipment and feat selection a lot. I see my character as a smooth talker, that won't jump into combat easily. However, if forced to, he'll use all his arcenal. If poison is allowed, I'm envisionning him wielding 2-handed a couple of bards friends (with full doses of poison, of course). Poison darts and poison arrows would also be part of his gear. If poison is disallowed, well, I won't give him any ranks in craft alchemy and poison making, and will have him dual wield 1 regular elven longblade and 1 short elven longblade (with weapon finesse(elven longblade)).

Concerning the city where the bulk of the campaign is going to be, I'd much rather have my character be a templar of that sorcerer king. Seriously, what a downer to be a templar and to have absolutely no templar-powers (which constitutes the bulk of the class' benefits) and to be stuck in a "foreign" city. I'd much rather have Kurvic be travelling back from a foreign city than to one. This way, I get to role play all that juicy templar goodness ;)

I agree, this game is looking like it's going to be fun, can't wait to start!
Cheers,

SG

Bront

The man with the probe
Woho! I'm Helpful :)

Glad to help when I can. Lot's the GM though, so he always has final say. I hope some of the material I posted will be helpful to people.

And my guess would be that Tyr, while not being a free city, should be more likely to be accepting to a freed slave (since it went free so easily), so Darkclaw's background should hold, though I can always tweek the part where he's told he'll have to work it off.

As for the late launch, that works for me, and probably everyone else trying to assimilate the information in the setting again. No worries :)

Bloodweaver1

First Post
I got a Mul gladiator built, but I left the build in my office. Its a spike-chian-ish wielding type with a 22 Str, specialized in disarming and triping. I'll post it up tomorrow.

-Blood

jkason

First Post
I'm almost done with Quaketongue, but I have a few questions as I finish up (obviously I can edit later, but I figured I'd ask now while it was on my mind):

1) The only Druid class feature substituted per the Athas.org rules is swapping Resist Nature's Lure for Nature's Speech. That means Woodland Stride is still a class feature, but I have to figure on a desert world, there's not much undergrowth to encounter one way or another. Looking at the description of desert terrains, it looks like rubble is far more common than undergrowth. If that's the case, would it be possible to apply the ability to rubble rather than undergrowth? (of course, Athas may be a heavily-undergrowthed desert for all I know, but I figured I'd ask)

2) Given the desert scene, are spells like Entangle or Goodberry be of any use in these settings? (I'm still trying to pick Q's spells, and I'd hate to pick things that just don't really function in the setting)

3) Would you be opposed to letting me use a hyena for Q's animal companion? It's not on the SRD list, but the stats map pretty closely to a wolf, which is on the list. I'm just trying to come up with an animal that fits the flavor of the setting a bit better.

thanks,

jason

Bront

The man with the probe
Did you check the spell lists? There are a few spells that swap out.

And berries are still common.

jkason

First Post
Okay, here's a mostly-complete draft of Quaketongue (switched the names per Bront. Thanks for the heads up there). Waiting to do anything with an animal companion to see if my hyena proposal is a go, and I still have to come up with an appearance (like, for instance, what Pterran armor looks like). Let me know if there are any glaring errors, things left out. Or not so glaring errors / stuff you'd like tweaked. ;)

jason

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Quaketongue Ristu
[B]Class:[/B] Druid 3
[B]Race:[/B] Pterran
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Lawful Neutral
[B]Deity:[/B] The Earth Mother

[B]Str:[/B] 14  +2 (6p)  [B]Level:[/B] 3        [B]XP:[/B] 3,000/6,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 12  +1 (6p)  [B]BAB:[/B] +2         [B]HP:[/B] 19 (3d8+3)
[B]Con:[/B] 12  +1 (4p)  [B]Grapple:[/B] +4     
[B]Int:[/B] 14  +2 (6p)  [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      
[B]Wis:[/B] 18  +4 (10p) [B]Init:[/B] +1      
[B]Cha:[/B] 14  +2 (4p)  [B]ACP:[/B] -0         

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +3    +0    +1   +0    +0    +0    14
[B]Touch:[/B] 11              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 13

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      3    +1    +1*   +5
[B]Ref:[/B]                       1    +1    +1*   +3
[B]Will:[/B]                      3    +3    +1*   +7

* +1 Sash (cloak) of resistance

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Claw x2...................+4......1d3+2 ea......x2
Bite......................-1*.....1d4+1.........x2
MW Shortspear.............+5......1d6+2.........x2
MW Shortspear, thrown.....+4......1d6+2.........x2, range 20 ft
MW Sling..................+4......1d4+2.........x2, range 50 ft

* -5 penalty for secondary natural weapon

[B]Languages:[/B] Pterran (standard)
Druidic (class)
Common, Thri-Kreen (Int bonus)

[B]Abilities:[/B]

[i]--Pterran--[/i]
* -2 Dex, +2 Wis, +2 Cha
* -2 racial to Listen
* Natural Weapons: 2 claws / bite
* Missive talent at will to other reptiles
* Thanak is martial weapon
* Favored class per life path (Path of the Druid)

[i]--Druid--[/i]
* Weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle,
   shortspear, sling, spear, blowgun, natural attacks
* Light / medium armor proficiency (no metal), wooden shields only
* Divine Spells per day: 
            orisons: 4 (DC 13)
            1st level: 3 (DC 14)
            2nd level: 2 (DC 15)
* Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally
* Animal Companion
     Link (+4 wild emp / handle. Handle as free, push as move)
     Share Spells (within 5') 
* Nature Sense (+2 Know (nature) and Survival)
* Wild Empathy +6 (+3 druid, +3 Cha)
* Woodland Stride (undergrowth can't impede movement)
* Trackless Step (can't be tracked in natural surroundings)

[B]Feats:[/B] 
Alertness (1st level)
Track (3rd level)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 36       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 6/3
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[i]--Class--[/i]
Handle Animal..............3....+2..........+5 (+9 w/ companion)
Heal.......................3....+4..........+7 (+9 w/ kit)
Hide.......................5....+3..........+8
Know: nature...............3....+2...+2*....+7
Listen.....................5....+4...+0~^...+9
Move Silently..............5....+2..........+7
Spot.......................6....+4...+2^....+12
Survival...................6....+4...+2*....+12

* +2 Nature Sense
~ -2 racial penalty
^ +2 Alertness feat

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
[i]--Worn / Carried--[/i]
MW Shortspear...........301cp...3lb
MW sling................300cp...--
Sling bullets x10........1bit...5lb
MW Studded leath armr...175cp..20lb
Backpack..................2cp...2lb
Pouch, belt...............1cp...1/2lb
Resistance sash +1....1,000cp...1
spell comp pouch..........5cp...2lb
[i]--In Backpack--[/i]
Flint and Steel...........1cp...--
Trail rations (x4)........2cp...4lb
Waterskin.................1cp...4lb
Antitoxin................50cp...--
Bedroll..................1bit...5lb
Caltrops.................1cp....2lb
Potionfruit CLW x3.....150cp....--
Thunderstone............30cp....1lb
Healer's Kit............50cp....1lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]50.5lbs      [B]Money:[/B] 6gp 3sp 8bits

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                58    116   175   350   875

[B]Age:[/B] 12
[B]Height:[/B] 5'8"
[B]Weight:[/B] 190lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Green
[B]Hair:[/B] N/A
[B]Skin:[/B] Brown (scales)

Appearance: Quaketongue is fairly average in both height and build for his kind.
While he, like most of his kin, wears little clothing, he does sport an assortment of leather armor pieces when exposed and traveling, most of them decorated with nature-inspired iconography: carrion birds, lizards, a large sun, a heavy cloud. Centralmost and most revered of these decorations is the intricate crystalline sigil he calls waterflake.

[sblock=Background]Pterran children are named for the environmental circumstances surrounding their births, and Ristu Quaketongue is no exception. His egg rocked and cracked open amidst the violent shaking of the ground, as if the Earth Mother herself could feel the hatchling's efforts to break into the world. And as he finally did draw breath free of his egg, the earth once again grew still and silent, so that the only sound in the aftermath was the wailing of the newly-hatched child.

It was little wonder, then, that Quaketongue's lifepath was The path of the Druid. He felt keenly the pains and triumphs of the natural world around him. Little wonder, too, that when he ran across a circle of defilement near to his village last month, Quaketongue, with the help of his animal companion [TBD] and his clansman Heartseer, set immediately to tracking the scourge.

For more than two weeks he followed. At least once he caught sight of the blight to the Earth Mother, but a sudden sandstorm gave her a means to elude him. After that, the trail became difficult, and eventually impossible to follow, leaving the two Pterrans and the animal alone and frustrated.

One of Quaketongue's attempts to regain the trail brought him close to a passing caravan, in which he noted the presence of another of his kind. They followed surruptitously for a time, making sure the unknown kinsman was not enslaved to the soft mammals he moved with. And when he was reasonably satisfied, Quaketongue sent a mental query, announcing the small group and asking to approach.

While he still hopes to find the defiler he seeks, Quaketongue accepts that the Earth Mother sent her storm for a reason. As the storm diverted him to the caravan, he's chosen to tie his fortunes to them for the time being. He watches and listens and occasionally questions, learning what he can of the strange species gathered on the road, awaiting the next clue or another nudge from the Earth Mother to correct his bearing.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Spells Prepared (morning)]Orisons (4): Defiler Scent, Create Water, Flare, Mending
1st Level (3): Cure Light Wounds, Magic Fang, Produce Flame
2nd Level (2): Barkskin, Lesser Restoration[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads