Dark Sun 3.5 - Trail of the Defiler

jkason

First Post
Quaketongue Ristu, pterran druid

Bront said:
'Tis not me. She is easy to speak with.' Darkclaw sends back

Quaketongue makes a quick series of clicks--a pterran vocalization roughly equivalent to a chuckle--at the reply.

'It's too bad, then, that I cannot mindspeak with her as I can you,' he sends. 'Humans haven't the fins to properly speak our language, and I find their common tongue sometimes difficult to pronounce. Perhaps when things become less energetic around here, Easytospeakwith will live up to her name, and I'll overcome my reluctance to human speech.'

[sblock=OOC]Missive's description says it's only ten words at a time, but I figure the pterran's "at will" qualifier on the ability means they can just send a quick series of missives with no real mechanical impact outside of combat (where it's a standard action and the time to "queue up" would matter). Let me know if I'm taking too many liberties and Quaketongue can get less mentally verbose. ;)[/sblock]

Lot

First Post
The day proceeds as normal. From just before dawn until around mid-day, the caravan moves at its sluggish pace across the hard-packed road from Urik to Tyr. Then it stops and the men take solace inside the covered wagon through the hottest parts of the day. Rudiot has a lunch and invites you all to eat with him as honored guests. He knows Curvik by reputation as a friend of the templars and figures he would be a bad person to offend. The only person amongst you not invited is, of course, Ugg.

As he sits down to a large bowl of lizard meat dripping with a spiced kank honey sauce, he offers a jug of water to whomever sits near him. His weathered face shows concern.

"We have a problem. Two of my outriders haven't returned from forward patrol. Sometimes men will steal some cargo and run...but I've known these men for some time and they're not the type. I worry that some danger awaits us down the road, and those men are no longer with the living."

He sighs wearily and rubs a water-soaked rag across his face.

"I've decided to move the caravan off the road and try to circumvent this possible ambush. I know that it adds at least two days to the trip and takes us through the wilderness, but the loss of my men makes me extremely suspicious. Just thought that you, as my most important and honored guests, should be made aware of the situation."

Rudiot gestures to an attractive human slave-girl, whom begins filling ceramic bowls of the food for each of you.

Bront

The man with the probe
"Perhaps we could follow for a short distance and see what befel them? I would worry our supplies might run low with too much delay."

jkason

First Post
Quaketongue Ristu, pterran druid

Quaketongue felt a little odd seated as the caravan leader's honored guest, but decided he was, in effect, playing ambassador to his people. He ate with what he hoped appeared to be an appreciative air.

At the news of the disappearances, he holds back a moment, letting Easytospeakwith and Darkclaw express their views before interrupting.

"I haven't the strength of those who follow the path of the warrior, but I do have some decent skill at tracking," he offers up. "If you would know what happened to your men, I might be able to discover it, though like you I'm loathe to follow them straight into whatever snare may have taken them."

"As to our supplies, my natural magics may be of some use. I have a means of making a few single berries into a full meal, and rituals which can both call water from the air and make what we have last longer. All of them require some preparation in the morning, but so long as we keep eye enough on our supplies to give me warning, we shouldn't have to worry overmuch about dehydration or starvation."

Voadam

Legend
Heartseer considers the situation and has a question of his own.

"It is also possible your men were captured and an ambusher knows your general cargo and defenses. Do you and your remaining men have experience in dealing with the wilderness?"

Lot

First Post
Rudiot looks at each of you as you speak, nodding and rubbing his stubbled chin.

"Well, I'm sorry that I have to assume my guards are dead, but I can't risk my guests, my cargo, or my other men to find out. I didn't create this world, I just have to live in it. As for the wilderness, I have done this kind of thing before. Not often, I'll grant you, but more than once. Out on these flat expanses, it's not overly dangerous. Not many predators think they can take a mekillot or a team on inix. Also, I make it a point to carry enough water and food to make the trip to Tyr and back again. We should be fine."

He drinks deepy from his cup and scoops some of the meat into his mouth with a piece of flatbread.

Bront

The man with the probe
"Well, if that is the harsh reality, we should at least be on our guard. If they were overtaken, then there is a threat out there somewhere," Darkclaw says, as he eats, oddly enjoying the meal more than someone might normaly enjoy a meal on the trail.

"What of our current guards? If they are not enough, we may be forced to trust in the Half-giant again. Have you considered that?"

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Ugg the SkullCrusher

Bront said:
Darkclaw slowly falls back to walk beside the huge man in chains, "How goes it Ugg? I hope the heat's been bearable for you."

There is a noticable grunt followed by the erie sound of movement as the large creature moves into view. "Ehe, Ugg ok." The dim witted half giant struggles for bit as he moves closer the bars. It is obiviously difficult for Ugg to move within his holding cell as the gaurds have tide all of his limbs together with countless strandes of gaint hair. It is quite obivious that his former employer does not trust him. "Ugg sad. Ugg misses little friends and walking in sun." Says the Half Giant with an obivous frown. "But Ugg happy now. Darkbird here!" A huge dim witted smile quickly spreads across Ugg's face.

Bront

The man with the probe
Bloodweaver1 said:
There is a noticable grunt followed by the erie sound of movement as the large creature moves into view. "Ehe, Ugg ok." The dim witted half giant struggles for bit as he moves closer the bars. It is obiviously difficult for Ugg to move within his holding cell as the gaurds have tide all of his limbs together with countless strandes of gaint hair. It is quite obivious that his former employer does not trust him. "Ugg sad. Ugg misses little friends and walking in sun." Says the Half Giant with an obivous frown. "But Ugg happy now. Darkbird here!" A huge dim witted smile quickly spreads across Ugg's face.
"That's good to hear. You have the caravan worried with your actions the other day. There are talks of you going to the Pits, and trust me my friend, that is not a fate you want," Darkclaw says.

Remove ads