• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun, Druids, and the Vow of Poverty

htetickrt

First Post
This may be an odd topic, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm planning
on playing an ascetic (as per the Vow of Poverty in the BoED) druid in a
new 3.5E Dark Sun campaign that will be starting up soon. While minor
changes to the druid in this world are specified on www.athlas.org,
nothing equivalent is given for the Vow of Poverty. The DM for this, who
is trying for a low magic campaign, is concerned about some of the powers
the ascetic gets over time.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the VoP and Dark Sun or a similar campaign world and could offer opinions on how to alter the granted powers of an ascetic. Actually, any opinions about how the VoP works with the druid are welcome, but I figured I'd be specific to start.

Thanks!

Simplicity

Explorer
Taking Vow of Poverty in the Dark Sun world... kind of misses the point of the world and the vow. If I were the DM I wouldn't allow it.

Almost everyone in Dark Sun is impoverished in the first place. Even adventurers. It's not like you'd have a choice about it. The Vow
of Poverty is supposed to be about making a sacrifice, and there's
just no sacrifice to make in Dark Sun.

Last edited:

slingbld

Explorer
Simplicity said:
Taking Vow of Poverty in the Dark Sun world... kind of misses the point of the world and the vow. If I were the DM I wouldn't allow it.QUOTE]

Sorry but I'd hafta agree. The DS world is a relatively low magic, low gear kinda world. Most players will only have the very basics for survival. One thing that could help offset this though would be to reduce the attribute bonuses & cut the number of exaulted feats that are gained in half. Without actualy having the book in front of me I can't think of what else should be scaled back (however the exaulted strikes should be lessened with the best being +3 around level 18-20)

htetickrt

First Post
slingbld said:
Simplicity said:
Taking Vow of Poverty in the Dark Sun world... kind of misses the point of the world and the vow. If I were the DM I wouldn't allow it.QUOTE]
Fair enough, thanks. To be honest, I've never played Dark Sun before. I just get few chances to be something other than a DM and I've had this character concept in mind for a while. But it seems it makes sense to play something else, so I will.

Just out of curiosity, though, how is game balance enforced in Dark Sun under 3.5E? What with the focus on appropriate gear, if characters are less well-equipped are encounters generally below the party's level?

Davelozzi

Explorer
htetickrt said:
Just out of curiosity, though, how is game balance enforced in Dark Sun under 3.5E? What with the focus on appropriate gear, if characters are less well-equipped are encounters generally below the party's level?

I don't generally have much faith in the CR system even in the best of circumstances, but I'd say that the answer is yes, depending on character level. At low levels it shouldn't make too much difference but at high levels it would.

For the record, I've run only one session of Dark Sun under 3.5*, it was with 5th level characters, and the battles seemed okay, if anything a little bit easy. But I can't even remember if I took the CRs into account, so take that as you will.

*mostly using the 3.5 conversion at Athas.org, but with a healthy dose of my own changes.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
htetickrt said:

That's up to the DM, but I'm sure it will be okay. I've seen and played in other low magic campaigns anduntil the high levels (like 10+) the fact that the party has little magic really doesn't effect encounters.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Personally, I think BoED and Dark Sun just are not made for each other. BoED really requires the active intervention of celestials something that Dark Sun most clearly does not have.

IMO only, of course.

Spatula

Explorer
Also, the exalted feats require that the character be exceedingly good, don't they? Anyone commited to righting wrongs, seeing justice is done, helping others, etc. is going to wind up dead very quickly in Dark Sun.

htetickrt

First Post
Spatula said:
Also, the exalted feats require that the character be exceedingly good, don't they? Anyone commited to righting wrongs, seeing justice is done, helping others, etc. is going to wind up dead very quickly in Dark Sun.
Thanks for the quick responses!

It sounds like the low-magic part won't be a problem, but my character choice will. Any suggestions for interesting character types within this world? I'd like to have to prepare spells, if possible, since my last few characters couldn't and I miss it.

hobz

First Post
Spatula said:

so i associate the Vow of Poverty with St. Francis of Assissi, and actually,
though this wsn't quite his original character concept, I could picture it in Dark Sun. A Jesus character wandering the deserts, suggesting a different way. offering hope to a people used to worshiping idols and natural spirits. that instead, there exists the possibility of salvation.

of course mechanic-wise would have to be tuned, but could be interesting

hmmm..

-- B

(DM of said 3.5 DS adventure)

anyone advice incidentally on dealing with Dark Sun in 3.5 would be helpful too.

Remove ads