Dark Sun Overview?

eris404

Explorer
Hello!

I am working on a new campaign world and gave the other members of my group a short proposal/overview of it. One of the players said it sounded like the Dark Sun setting. I've never played Dark Sun, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a short explanation of it (to see if I really am that unoriginal). Also, give me some opinions on it, what's good, what's terrible. I have subscriptions to Dragon and Dungeon, but I haven't read the recent articles on Dark Sun yet (it wasn't something I was interested in at the time). Also, if there are fan web sites out there (and I'm sure there are), send me some URLs. :D

Thanks!

Welverin

First Post
The next issues of Dragon (319) and Dungeon (11) will have a 3.5 conversion of it, so a little patience will go a long way.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Also, if you want to know even more about the setting itself, the original boxed set is available in eletronic PDF format over at:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1202&

and the revised setting (still for 2nd edition AD&D, but expanded the campaign world) is at

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1236&

Each are available with credit card, paypal, etc. for $4.95 each.

In my opinion, the original set is the best, and the revised set introduced for me some very unlikeable changes that took away from the sparse, survivalist nature of the world.

They are well worth it if you wish to know more about the setting, or if you wish to get enough of a feel for it to run it.

Kazuel

First Post
I read a series of 5 novels set in the "Dark Sun" world. I'll try to give you a brief over veiw of what I remember.

The world is a grim a dieing place. Most of the land is a scarred wasteland with civilization view and far between. It was the wizards of the world that caused the decay. In Dark Sun, wizards draw their power to cast from living beings. Plants, insects, and pretty much all other creatures give their life, forcabley, so that wizards can cast spells. The ruling class of Dark Sun is the psionosists (sp?). Because they use the power of the mind, they don't destroy the earth. Also, casting arcane spells is punishable by death if I remember right. Hope some of this helps, it's been a long time since I read those books.

eris404

Explorer
Turanil said:
If you don't find the great Dark Sun conversion netbook there, you can download it there:

Dark Sun 3e Conversion Netbook

This was very helpful. I wasn't really looking to download anything for Dark Sun and the Athas web site had very little about the setting in general. I wanted to know what the story/history was behind the setting, what kind of environment(s), what was special about it, etc. I take it from the conversion book it is mostly a desert setting and that the world is dying or the ecosystems are being destroyed in some way?

Voadam

Legend
quick overview,

World that was blasted into high powered D&D Mad max desert survival world.

No gods but clerics worship elemental powers or epic dragonlords (not sure if that term is correct).

Dragonlords are ancient evil epic level mages who have partially transformed into powerful forms and rule the city states

No metal

Slavery is prevalent

Everyone has high powered stats and at least a little psionics.

Start at 3rd level.

Races are a little more powerful, half giant is new race, no half orcs or gnomes but halflings are feared cannibals.

Desert survival is important. Water is important.

No fey. Only one dragon in the world.

Several races were exterminated.

Arcane magic damages the land and those around the caster.

eris404

Explorer
Kazuel said:
I read a series of 5 novels set in the "Dark Sun" world. I'll try to give you a brief over veiw of what I remember.

The world is a grim a dieing place. Most of the land is a scarred wasteland with civilization view and far between. It was the wizards of the world that caused the decay. In Dark Sun, wizards draw their power to cast from living beings. Plants, insects, and pretty much all other creatures give their life, forcabley, so that wizards can cast spells. The ruling class of Dark Sun is the psionosists (sp?). Because they use the power of the mind, they don't destroy the earth. Also, casting arcane spells is punishable by death if I remember right. Hope some of this helps, it's been a long time since I read those books.

AH! This is exactly what was I was looking for. Thank you!!!!! :D

BTW, this sounds nothing at ALL like the world I was designing. I feel relieved (not because I don't like Dark Sun, just that I'm glad I'm not that unoriginal).

Spatula

Explorer
Pretty much. The world's ecosystem has been destroyed by the use of destructive magics. Resources are scare - iron is a precious commodity so weapons are made of bone or obsidian, a gold piece has x100 the value that it does in normal D&D, the 'ocean' is composed of silt instead of water. Socially the world is very primitive as well. There are no nations per se, just several independant city-states, each ruled by an evil despot (all of whom are powerful wizards/psionicists). The despots each have a priestly caste that enforces their will but is also very corrupt. Slavery is widespread. Tribes of raiders roam the wastes outside of the city-states.

Remove ads