• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Darkness cast blindly

albatrossen

First Post
Darkness , Can i throw darkness into another room where im not present, but my familiar is? In the description of the darkness spell it States:"magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15foot-radius sphere for the duration." So if I stay outside the room Can i still make it Dark in the other room?

delericho

Legend
In order to target something you need a clear path to that target, so probably not.

(Note that you don't need to be able to see the target, necessarily, just have that clear path. The two are usually, but not always, the same.)

S

Sunseeker

Specific trumps general.

The General Rule is that you need to be able to see your target in order to cast something on it. If a spell explicitly says you don't, then you don't, but otherwise you do.

Familiars are a little different because technically you have a psychic bond with your familiar can utilize its senses instead of your own. I would allow a player using this ability to cast a spell through their familiar at a target the familiar could see, but the character could not.

Remove ads