D&D 5E Darksun times of change[Oc]closed]

Shayuri

First Post
Yay wildshape!

Alright, I'll share some feedback here:

Elves
- It's weird that they lose Fey Ancestry, but half-elves still have it. I'd suggest letting elves keep Fey ancestry. Instead of rewriting the 'base' elf abilities. instead treat Athasian Elf as an elf Subrace. The immunity to environmental heat and ability to run would be fine as subrace abilities, I think.

Dwarves
- You're taking away fairly major racial abilities, and giving them...medium armor proficiency? Mmm. That seems harsh.

1)Body Equilibrium
- Bonus action move is very strong, potentially. I'd recommend changing it to Adv on Acrobatics, and an ability to ignore difficult terrain from unstable footing, both lasting for a single move action taken on the same turn the bonus action to activate the power is taken.

2)Far Hearing
- Useless in most situations. I'd suggest either wrapping it into Far Sight to make a 'far sense' power, or saying that the point you designate as being your 'listen' point doesn't have to have a line of effect to it. That is, you can 'far hear' through a wall or a door to see what's on the other side or similar.

3)Know Direction
- Pretty meh, but then it's always been pretty meh. Adv on Navigation is a decent start, but I feel like it needs more. Then again...I dunno what more would be appropriate.

4)Mental Tools
- Maybe specify you can only create a tool you have proficiency in?

5)Object Projection
- Seems ok.

6)Psionic Image
- Good idea to utilize an existing cantrip for this.

7)Psionic Spark
- I'd suggest using the already-existing cantrip that can light fires. I think it's even called Spark?

8)Sensing Eye
- This is potentially strong, to the point it could make Far Hearing obsolete. You're going to want to be sure to specify how it can be targeted. It might be better just to combine Sensing Eye and Far Hearing into one. Or perhaps Sensing Eye requires line of effect to the target area, so you can look around corners with it, but not through solid barriers?

9)Telekinetic grasp
- Just reference Mage Hand, I'd say.

10)Thought Projection
- The fact that it requires a shared language makes this essentially a Message spell with slightly different flavor text. I'd suggest you use the Message spell mechanics.

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
Yay wildshape!

Alright, I'll share some feedback here:

Elves
- It's weird that they lose Fey Ancestry, but half-elves still have it. I'd suggest letting elves keep Fey ancestry. Instead of rewriting the 'base' elf abilities. instead treat Athasian Elf as an elf Subrace. The immunity to environmental heat and ability to run would be fine as subrace abilities, I think.

Dwarves
- You're taking away fairly major racial abilities, and giving them...medium armor proficiency? Mmm. That seems harsh.

1)Body Equilibrium
- Bonus action move is very strong, potentially. I'd recommend changing it to Adv on Acrobatics, and an ability to ignore difficult terrain from unstable footing, both lasting for a single move action taken on the same turn the bonus action to activate the power is taken.

2)Far Hearing
- Useless in most situations. I'd suggest either wrapping it into Far Sight to make a 'far sense' power, or saying that the point you designate as being your 'listen' point doesn't have to have a line of effect to it. That is, you can 'far hear' through a wall or a door to see what's on the other side or similar.

3)Know Direction
- Pretty meh, but then it's always been pretty meh. Adv on Navigation is a decent start, but I feel like it needs more. Then again...I dunno what more would be appropriate.

4)Mental Tools
- Maybe specify you can only create a tool you have proficiency in?

5)Object Projection
- Seems ok.

6)Psionic Image
- Good idea to utilize an existing cantrip for this.

7)Psionic Spark
- I'd suggest using the already-existing cantrip that can light fires. I think it's even called Spark?

8)Sensing Eye
- This is potentially strong, to the point it could make Far Hearing obsolete. You're going to want to be sure to specify how it can be targeted. It might be better just to combine Sensing Eye and Far Hearing into one. Or perhaps Sensing Eye requires line of effect to the target area, so you can look around corners with it, but not through solid barriers?

9)Telekinetic grasp
- Just reference Mage Hand, I'd say.

10)Thought Projection
- The fact that it requires a shared language makes this essentially a Message spell with slightly different flavor text. I'd suggest you use the Message spell mechanics.

Half elves keeping it was an over sight, I just get growly at fey ancestory cuz there halflings grrr. Maybe rename it. I think its going to be best keeping the current races as is and maybe adding Athasian subraces so I can do what ever the hell I want with them and people have a choice, choice is good!

You have a point about a bonus action move, I was kind of hoping that most people will have something they would rather do with the action.

I was unaware of this spark cantrip.

Referencing existing cabtrips is good would of done it all the way if I had done it all as one continues thought process.

I'm loathed to fuse hearing and sight just because it then seems over subscribed. Hearing through objects could work... on that thought let you imbue an object with hearing such as the wall, arrow,rock.that hears for you.

Shayuri

First Post
Because they're halflings? Because there are halflings?

I'm not getting the connections between elves, fey ancestry, and halflings.

Shayuri

First Post
Oh, I was thinking of 4th edition; where elves were from the dying version of Athas' feywild in the distant past.

Yeah, just reskin 'fey ancestry' as 'Mental resilience' or something. :)

Azurewraith

Explorer
Oh, I was thinking of 4th edition; where elves were from the dying version of Athas' feywild in the distant past.

Yeah, just reskin 'fey ancestry' as 'Mental resilience' or something. :)
Ye I probs should of stated that I'm going with 2e fluff I like it more plus it gave me more story ideas from reading.

tglassy

Adventurer
There shouldn't be any issues with setting for a Great Old One patron, they're from outside of reality. What about the Undying patron? Does Dark Sun have any Liches, or anything that lives a long, long time?

Azurewraith

Explorer
There shouldn't be any issues with setting for a Great Old One patron, they're from outside of reality. What about the Undying patron? Does Dark Sun have any Liches, or anything that lives a long, long time?
If I remember rightly one of the sorcerer kings did something akin to becoming a lich ill have to look into it. Im not sire Goo would work as there is some sort of block that keeps gods out. L... but then this is cthulu.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Athas is supposedly cut off from the multiverse. You can't even get there via spelljammer, I believe. It's almost like Ravenloft in that regard. Or so I've heard.

Remove ads