• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkvision and mirrors?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
We can extend the question, of course.

If I can See Invisible, can I see the reflection of an invisible person in a mirror?
Can I see the reflection of a person in an invisible mirror? Can I see the reflection of an invisible person in an invisible mirror in the dark, if I have darkvision as well?

-Hyp.

lukelightning

First Post
Cabled said:
Given the number of fairly civilized races running around with Darkvision, I'd rather think that mirrors that worked with darkvision would be just as common as regular ones, they'd just be for sale in different markets.

Not to mention cosmetics that are meant to be seen with darkvision.

Ilium

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
We can extend the question, of course.

If I can See Invisible, can I see the reflection of an invisible person in a mirror?
Yes
Hypersmurf said:
Can I see the reflection of a person in an invisible mirror?
Yes
Hypersmurf said:
Can I see the reflection of an invisible person in an invisible mirror in the dark, if I have darkvision as well?

Yes, but he doesn't make any sound unless you're in a forest and there's nobody there to hear it. :)

Shadeydm

First Post
I am surprised that the official answer is yes darkvision allows you to see a refelction in a mirror with the total absence of light. I would certainly have ruled against being able to see the reflection of light in an envrioment which had none.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Shadeydm said:
I would certainly have ruled against being able to see the reflection of light in an envrioment which had none.

You're not seeing the reflection of light. You're seeing the reflection of a person.

-Hyp.

werk

First Post
Shadeydm said:
I am surprised that the official answer is yes darkvision allows you to see a refelction in a mirror with the total absence of light. I would certainly have ruled against being able to see the reflection of light in an envrioment which had none.

I would rule the same way, personally, just for ease. I don't mind 'it doesn't work like that' when it comes to games.

I do seem to remember, in a Drizzt novel, that the drow specifically had to light a candle (or other light source) in order to see reflections in a mirror. The mirror itself was described as 'alien' to the drow.

frankthedm

First Post
niolo said:
If you want to open endless science debates disallow mirror usage with Darkvision b/c no light to reflect.
No you don't. You just say "Darkvision does not work with reflective surfaces and there will be no debate on such matters."

Remove ads